Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Weather Module / MSN Feed
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 1:01 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Having run Windows 10 for most of the past week or so and with it, the Weather Module (desktop) to check its function, it's obvious something really is seriously f*cked with the MSN feed. And the last 2 or 3 days at least, absolutely nothing from MSN, just current conditions from NOAA.

Perhaps it's time to just forget the Weather Mod? I really can't see how it's any use to anyone in this state. Perhaps eventually come up with a new one altogether?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Weather Module / MSN Feed
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Having run Windows 10 for most of the past week or so and with it, the Weather Module (desktop) to check its function, it's obvious something really is seriously f*cked with the MSN feed. And the last 2 or 3 days at least, absolutely nothing from MSN, just current conditions from NOAA.

Perhaps it's time to just forget the Weather Mod? I really can't see how it's any use to anyone in this state. Perhaps eventually come up with a new one altogether?

It's still consistently and persistently f*cked - only the current conditions text, all five icons marked as 'N/A'. I've tried a couple of different locations even further afield from me, exactly the same results.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 3:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

And now it's NOAA only, MSN zilch, nada, nieto, nowt, absolutely dead.

Out of Windblows from this evening again, thank goodness. Might be in it again for a few hours early next week, will check Weather mod again then.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:34 pm 

I'm running Windows 11, but the same thing happened, where the Weather Module just stopped functioning.

A weather add-on I use for my browser, Forecast Fox, also stopped working about the same time. The author of the addon updated it, saying it was a change the weather service had made that caused it.

I hope someone will fix the Weather Module for Nexus too.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fred_Biles wrote:
....I hope someone will fix the Weather Module for Nexus too.

Well, I gather that, although not impossible entirely, would not really be feasible wrt the Weather.com feed. This now requires the DB for the locations to have the full GPS coordinates, which would be a nightmare to compile and probably take months, alas.

As for the MSN feed, that seems to be a problem that only MSN can fix. Annoying, I'm sure.

Personally, I don't normally use the weather mod any more and haven't done so for a long time. That is, when I'm actually in Windows. My main OS is Linux, and I have a neat little weather util there which gives me the current conditions and next day forecast, which is all that I need or want and is far more relevant to my location than any of the feeds of the Winstep mod. (None of them were ever anywhere near the mark for me!)

I suspect it would be easier to produce a completely new weather mod than fix the current one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yet again the MSN weather feed has been completely f***ed for several days it would seem. NOAA feed works but of course only gives current conditions.

Waste of time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:25 am 

Same, when I check "Detailed Weather Conditions", the weather.noaa site is dead. It then resorts to Weather.com which works fine, but the module still won't update, specifically for SOME locations. Some work, some don't. Very weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The weather module in Winstep applications used several weather feeds for redundancy (NOAA, Weather.com, Google, Yahoo and MSN). Over the years these companies either shut down their weather feeds or put them behind a pay wall. The last one still working for weather forecasts was the MSN feed, but the URL is now returning a 'Host not found' error. Only METAR/NOAA remains for current weather conditions.

If anyone knows of an alternative URL that still works for providing weather forecast information, please feel free to share.

Unfortunately the prices that weather feed providers such as Weather.com, AccuWeather, and the like, ask for their feed make it financially impossible to use a paid feed - remember that for each paid copy of Winstep Xtreme or Nexus Ultimate there are THOUSANDS of users of the free version of Nexus. Winstep is in the business of selling Windows customization software, not weather info.

Hopefully an alternative solution might be found in the mean time, or perhaps the MSN feed will come back again. I obviously would love to keep the weather module working, but always keep in mind that I do not control the 3rd party weather feeds.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
The weather module in Winstep applications used several weather feeds for redundancy (NOAA, Weather.com, Google, Yahoo and MSN). Over the years these companies either shut down their weather feeds or put them behind a pay wall. The last one still working for weather forecasts was the MSN feed, but the URL is now returning a 'Host not found' error. Only METAR/NOAA remains for current weather conditions.

If anyone knows of an alternative URL that still works for providing weather forecast information, please feel free to share.

Unfortunately the prices that weather feed providers such as Weather.com, AccuWeather, and the like, ask for their feed make it financially impossible to use a paid feed - remember that for each paid copy of Winstep Xtreme or Nexus Ultimate there are THOUSANDS of users of the free version of Nexus. Winstep is in the business of selling Windows customization software, not weather info.

Hopefully an alternative solution might be found in the mean time, or perhaps the MSN feed will come back again. I obviously would love to keep the weather module working, but always keep in mind that I do not control the 3rd party weather feeds.

Indeed, it's obvious that a paid feed is absolutely not feasible. Maybe the MSN feed has just been migrated to another server/IP? I doubt it somehow, more likely that they're going over to a subscription.

As for alternative feeds Jorge, I know that the utilities to be found under various Linux distros do use different feeds but cannot remember what they are and where I found the info. However, the one I generally use when I want the weather is an applet (i.e., a 'module' for the deskbar) under Fedora. A similar one can also be found under Linux Mint, IIRC. Might be worth having a look into their source code for the feeds perhaps, as they're not shown in any part of the applet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:46 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:

For now, the MSN feed is back - current and 4 day forecast. How long though might be another matter. At the least, I suspect people will have to expect intermittent outages as have happened for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
For now, the MSN feed is back - current and 4 day forecast. How long though might be another matter. At the least, I suspect people will have to expect intermittent outages as have happened for a while.

Yay! Let's see how long it takes for someone at Microsoft to botch it up again lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yay! Let's see how long it takes for someone at Microsoft to botch it up again lol

I might be tempted to put money on it! A week or two? ;) :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 pm 

In Opera I have a plugin that takes the weather from here (works also for the Czech Republic in central Europe, 24 000 city):

https://weatherextension.com/

When I installed WinStep Xtreme yesterday, the city was basically working. My city didn't, so I just tested back some in the US, but I couldn't remember what city it was and didn't find a working one.

In my old version of Firefox I was using a different plugin, this one shows bad results for my city and also reports no connection, when I jump directly to the page the results are relevant, the address for my city is:

https://www.accuweather.com/cs/cz/havl% ... orecastfox

So then:

https://www.accuweather.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some applications/widgets resort to "scrapping" information from web pages, but that is a huge can of worms as the format/layout of these web pages is frequently changed, thus breaking the feed and creating the need for constant updates.

Doing something like that would be the very last resort as Winstep applications are not exactly centered around showing the weather. :D

Stardock used to pay Accuweather for their feed so it could be used in ObjectDock, but they put a stop to that once it became economically unfeasible. The weather companies simply charge too much for their feed when the same is used by very popular (but mostly free, such as the Nexus dock) applications.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:

I might be tempted to put money on it! A week or two? ;) :P

Haha! Only just a week it would seem. Running Windows for a couple of hours this afternoon with the weather mod, first a location nearby (kind of) without Metar code, weather data taken about a fortnight ago, then one further away with Metar code and 4-day forecast was a couple of days old! So, totally unreliable!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next