Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Ultimate
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:44 pm 

I've bought Ultimate, but when I click on it in my Start menu, it does not open. Suggestions? But, it shows that it's running in task manager.

Post subject: Re: Ultimate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm 

I take it you launched NextStart and Nexus under windows Start Menu -> Winstep?

If so, the notification area of windows taskbar should have two icons hidden (by default) so you will probably have to click on the ^ icon (if the bar is horizontal) or the > icon (if the bar is vertical) to show the hidden notification icons.

If you don't want these icons hidden, you can change that by right-mouse-button click on the taskbar and select "taskbar settings", scroll down the taskbar settings page to "Notification Area" and click on "Select which icons appear on the taskbar". From there you get a list of all the icons with toggle switches you can turn on for any icons which should also include the "NextStart" and "WorkShelf" icons.

To configure the two modules, you need to right-mouse-button-click on the "NextStart" and "WorkShelf" icons and select preferences to configure each as to the functionality as listed below in order to activate the functionality you desire.

NextStart preferences deal with:
- Menus
- Task Bar
- Hot Spots
- Themes
- Sounds & Animations
- General (settings for NextStart)
- Advanced (settings for NextStart)

Workbench preferences deal with:
- Docks & Shelves
- Modules
- Themes
- Sounds
- Tasks
- Tray
- General (settings for WorkBench)
- Advanced (settings for WorkBench)
- About (Workbench)

If you had to manually start these two applications from the start menu, then you will probably want them to start automatically.

Under the General Tab for the preferences of each application, there is a tickbox "Run NextSTART at windows Startup" and "Run WorkShelf at Windows Startup" respectfully.

Alternatively you can use Windows Task Manager that has a startup tab for enabling or disabling startup of applications during logon.

SysInternals also have Process Explorer (x64) and AutoRuns (x64) which I use instead as they are more powerful tools.

I hope this gets any newbie up and running quickly.

Attachments:
2023-07-19 02_25_49-NextSTART & WorkShelf Icons.jpg
2023-07-19 02_25_49-NextSTART & WorkShelf Icons.jpg [ 25.47 KiB | Viewed 2552 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:07 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The OP does not have Nextstart - that is part of Winstep Xtreme, and not Nexus Ultimate which is what he/she has.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:25 pm 

Correct, I only have Ultimate. So when I click on the icon to open it, nothing appears, but shows that it is running in the background.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:48 am 

I uninstalled all that i could find, re-start, DL & re-install, restart. All seems well. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

sweet_t wrote:
I uninstalled all that i could find, re-start, DL & re-install, restart. All seems well. Thank you for your help.

Glad you got it sorted. :) A little initiative and experimentation always can go a long way when using new software. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]