Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Would you be willing to pay extra for a Theme Builder Add-on?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:02 am
Yes, I would be prepared to pay extra
0%
[ 0 ]
No, definitely not
0%
[ 0 ]
I would be prepared to pay US$ 25
0%
[ 0 ]
I would be prepared to pay >US$ 25
0%
[ 0 ]

Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Re: Theme Builder, Anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:55 am 

I would have to agree with Picco14. I would be 100% for a separate add-on and would gladly pay for it, but I just recently went back to Windows 10 from Windows 11, and a great part of the reason was the problems with Winstep Xtreme and Windows 11.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

zukeztomz wrote:
I would have to agree with Picco14. I would be 100% for a separate add-on and would gladly pay for it, but I just recently went back to Windows 10 from Windows 11, and a great part of the reason was the problems with Winstep Xtreme and Windows 11.

Well, it's about as unlikely to happen as the moon really turning into a ball of green cheese. ;) Nobody really gives a shiny shite, so why bother, see? I think we can safely forget about that. Pity, yes. Apathy kills it.

Good move to go back to Win 10 anyway. And I'd make sure to have that TPM pulled like a rotten tooth. :P (It's really bad news - look in the 'Articles' forum if you don't know about that.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:01 pm 

Apologies for coming in at the ass-end of this topic however I just purchased the Winstep Xtreme - Home Network Edition package and joined the forum about 1 day ago.

People generally turn to forums when they have exhausted all other avenues to find answers to questions they have not found elsewhere or they've got disposable time that would otherwise bore them if they don't find some way of engaging in some conversation as is my current case while I wait for a remote server rebuild to progress to completion in the early hours of the morning here in Australia. (4:52 AM)

You may not have got the response you expected if insufficient subscriptions to forum topics that are necessary to get emails sent to users so as to reach and thus motivate them to respond and participate. It takes notice to invoke response.

In the I.T.I.L. world, tracking, qualifying and keeping the status of change and problem requests usually relies on a ticketing system so repeat tickets of the same issue can be consolidated (attached to the initial ticket to remove clutter and quantify impact).

I don't know how you manage to tally and track the dozens of pages of forum posts with respect to what people have requested and suggested for improvements and bug fixes hence my apprehension to spit out my two cents worth so far as it is probable that a fair amount of what I currently have to say would be echoing previous commentary I am yet to cast my blood-shot eyes over.

From my experience, software development can be like a bottomless pit for spending money, time and energy like feeding a monster with an infinite appetite.

Prioritization of bug fixes based on the severity of any detrimental impacts on functions with regard to their criticality to the success of the product, as well as prioritizing improvements and feature enhancements based on fulfilling market needs are the keys to product success and thus financial success to the extent to establish sufficient financial independence necessary to have the disposable time to invest towards further software development activity without being distracted by the pressing need to pay the bills and put food on the table.

I am very impressed with your product being a decade long 7-instance rocketdock junkie running on 3 x 4k monitors who cut & run to your product for the draws and multiple docks in one neat package.

So I have some reading to go through to see what bugs others have reported and what features they have requested/suggested so I don't waste any readers' time going through my exhaustive list of what may have already been said and it will take some time to thoroughly understand the naunces of what I find.

All that being said, I reiterate this is a great innovative piece of software with potential for brilliance with features I have been looking for, for at least two years which now makes me a happy chappy.

Moderator's note - Parts of this post have been redacted and copied to another thread where they properly belonged, in the process unfortunately and accidentally losing this topic 1,001 views - nexter:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, apathy has generally come to rule on this board for a long, long time, alas.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:53 am 

While I'd personally be willing to pay extra for a theme builder, I can completely understand why it wouldn't be so feasible to make.

What I don't understand is the lack of any kind of documentation for DIY. How on earth did people make the various themes otherwise?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:41 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

den killen wrote:
While I'd personally be willing to pay extra for a theme builder, I can completely understand why it wouldn't be so feasible to make.

What I don't understand is the lack of any kind of documentation for DIY. How on earth did people make the various themes otherwise?

Yes, some sort of documentation would be useful for those wanting to create their own themes but not knowing how to go about it. There used to be a theme builder in the past, but it became pretty much obsolete because of wide-ranging changes in the apps. There also was a kind of guide to some aspects of creating themes, but personally speaking I've forgotten where to find either of them, both online and locally - I probably have them somewhere in my archives/backups, but no idea where to look I'm afraid.

Basically, the aspiring theme creator is left stranded. Experimenting with the theme config files is not to be undertaken lightly and can easily lead to major problems, alas. The only advice I could presently offer would be to study an existing theme closely, check out its graphics files and thoroughly study its config files, and then experiment cautiously.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2