Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Question about window thumbnails and peeking.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:02 pm 

Hi there lovely people, I use Winstep version 20.10 on Windows 10.

I would like to know if there is a way to fix the annoyingly slow fade in(window peeking) when the mouse is over a window thumbnail, cause I couldn't find anything helpful in the TASKS tab of Nexus preferences.

Also, I would like to know how to fix the thumbnail taking too much time to freakin disappear after clicking on it and bringing in-front the thumbnail(ed) window.

Perhaps these problems are solved in a newer version?
Anyway, any help would be really appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Question about window thumbnails and peeking.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronnin2011 wrote:
Hi there lovely people, I use Winstep version 20.10 on Windows 10.

I would like to know if there is a way to fix the annoyingly slow fade in(window peeking) when the mouse is over a window thumbnail, cause I couldn't find anything helpful in the TASKS tab of Nexus preferences.

Also, I would like to know how to fix the thumbnail taking too much time to freakin disappear after clicking on it and bringing in-front the thumbnail(ed) window.

Perhaps these problems are solved in a newer version?
Anyway, any help would be really appreciated!

You don't say exactly *which* Winstep app you're using but I'd surmise it's the free version of Nexus.

As far as I'm aware, those two animations cannot be adjusted in Nexus. Speed also depends on what else is happening on your computer at the time. Also, when Windows is waking up after sleep, all anims tend to be slowed down to a greater or lesser extent.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:03 pm 

That's correct. The free one.
It has nothing to do with the PC/Windows performance, though. Its clearly coded to behave that way, since when I do the exact things from Window's taskbar, the window peeking(fade animation) happens like 3x faster and the window thumbnail instantly disappears when I click on it, instead of staying there and ruining my day :P

I hope I made things more clear this time and I also hope the programmer finds some time to give his insight on this matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronnin2011 wrote:
That's correct. The free one.
It has nothing to do with the PC/Windows performance, though. Its clearly coded to behave that way, since when I do the exact things from Window's taskbar, the window peeking(fade animation) happens like 3x faster and the window thumbnail instantly disappears when I click on it, instead of staying there and ruining my day :P

I hope I made things more clear this time and I also hope the programmer finds some time to give his insight on this matter.

As I'm currently in Windows I had a look at this, albeit under the Nextstart taskbar, and there is absolutely zero difference between the speed of the anim under Windows and under Nextstart. Further, I don't recall anybody ever having had a problem with that. However, feel free to do a search of the forum for this and if you find anything, then come back.

As for the programmer, I'm sure he's far too busy at present with the latest update to be distracted by such a in any case very minor, insignificant issue. And in any event, just how presumptuous can someone get....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 pm 

nexter wrote:
As I'm currently in Windows I had a look at this, albeit under the Nextstart taskbar, and there is absolutely zero difference between the speed of the anim under Windows and under Nextstart. Further, I don't recall anybody ever having had a problem with that. However, feel free to do a search of the forum for this and if you find anything, then come back.

As for the programmer, I'm sure he's far too busy at present with the latest update to be distracted by such a in any case very minor, insignificant issue. And in any event, just how presumptuous can someone get....

Firstly, please, would u mind being a bit more specific? What version of the app did u use and in what windows?
And yeah, before posting here I did search the place but couldn't find anything relatable.
Also, it's really presumptuous to think that since it doesn't bother u, It won't bother someone else. For example, for me, I don't want to wait 3 seconds for the thumbnails to disappear in order to continue my work that can either be photo editing or just programming.
If you want to help, just don't be like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:23 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronnin2011 wrote:
Firstly, please, would u mind being a bit more specific? What version of the app did u use and in what windows?
And yeah, before posting here I did search the place but couldn't find anything relatable.
Also, it's really presumptuous to think that since it doesn't bother u, It won't bother someone else. For example, for me, I don't want to wait 3 seconds for the thumbnails to disappear in order to continue my work that can either be photo editing or just programming.
If you want to help, just don't be like that.

You really do not want to start arguing with me or any other staff - if you read the Board Rules and Guidelines you'd know this is not acceptable and indeed is banned on any board. Your tone is already there, so take heed.

As for my versions of app and Windows, not really relevant. And the anims of the thumbnails are virtually instantaneous here, always have been.

As this evidently has never presented a problem for anyone else, it's rather presumptuous to think that there must be a problem with the app. 3 seconds does seem a bit slow, but the cause is likely to be with your system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:44 am 

Moderator's note - post redacted for arguing with staff, abusive manner; warning issued - nexter:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronnin2011 wrote:

Moderator's note - post redacted for arguing with staff, abusive manner; warning issued - nexter:

FYI - Nobody else ever reported this, therefore it is evident that it is not connected with Nexus itself. It can only be down to your setup of Nexus and/or system or some peculiarity with your system. End of.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:16 am 

If the programmer finds any time, I'm willing to provide a screen record to present all the misbehaves of the thumbnail windows, in my system!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronnin2011 wrote:
If the programmer finds any time, I'm willing to provide a screen record to present all the misbehaves of the thumbnail windows, in my system!

Cheers.

You just don't get it, do you? You're the only one who's ever mentioned this as an issue. It's trivial, of no consequence. And to repeat, the problem is *not* with Nexus, it's your setup or system.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The issue with the thumbnail/live preview not disappearing when he clicks on it is actually very real, though. This was a design decision at the time because otherwise the 'minimize to dock' feature would not work properly. Under Windows when you left click on the live preview/thumbnail the same disappears immediately.

I'll look into this to see if I can find a work-around.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
The issue with the thumbnail/live preview not disappearing when he clicks on it is actually very real, though. This was a design decision at the time because otherwise the 'minimize to dock' feature would not work properly. Under Windows when you left click on the live preview/thumbnail the same disappears immediately.

Oops, right, so I was mistaken in thinking it worked the same way as under the Nextstart Taskbar.

Still, it's such a trivial thing that nobody else seems to have had an issue with in all the years. Is it really worth spending time on looking into it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:20 am 

winstep wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Jorge! I will anxiously wait for news, cause I really like everything else this program has to offer and would like to be a customer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ronnin2011 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to look into this Jorge! I will anxiously wait for news, cause I really like everything else this program has to offer and would like to be a customer.

If this is what is stopping you from becoming a paying customer, given everything else Winstep applications can do, I have no idea what to tell you lol

Anyway, I've changed this for next release so the live preview thumbnails disappear/fade out when you click on them without this breaking the "minimize to dock" feature - let's just hope this does not break something else.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]