Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Old games minimizing to taskbar - dock changing position
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:12 pm 

I know this has been asked before, and I believe Jorge posted back in 2022 that he re-wrote the code that deals with screen resolution changes, but I am still running into this problem.

When I launch a older game that doesn't run at desktop resolution from a Grid Stack or a Shelf Tab, or has a menu that is less than desktop resolution, the game usually minimizes to the taskbar. Quitting a game from a menu that is less than desktop resolution often results in the dock changing screen position. If I launch the same game from a Dock it will usually run without minimizing but the dock may change position when closing the game.

I ran ForeTester and here is the output:

The game I used is Angry Birds Seasons which launches at smaller resolution and then changes to desktop resolution. I also get the same problem with Total Annihilation and other older games.

It's not a big problem, I was just wondering if a solution is on the horizon.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 8.75 KiB | Viewed 2250 times ]

Post subject: Re: Old games minimizing to taskbar - dock changing position
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:12 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nezbit wrote:
I know this has been asked before, and I believe Jorge posted back in 2022 that he re-wrote the code that deals with screen resolution changes, but I am still running into this problem.

When I launch a older game that doesn't run at desktop resolution from a Grid Stack or a Shelf Tab, or has a menu that is less than desktop resolution, the game usually minimizes to the taskbar. Quitting a game from a menu that is less than desktop resolution often results in the dock changing screen position. If I launch the same game from a Dock it will usually run without minimizing but the dock may change position when closing the game.

I ran ForeTester and here is the output:

The game I used is Angry Birds Seasons which launches at smaller resolution and then changes to desktop resolution. I also get the same problem with Total Annihilation and other older games.

Regret to say I couldn't find anything that seemed immediately pertinent to this around 2022, hence sorry can't be of help here and we'll have to wait for Jorge I guess.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nezbit wrote:

I made some changes in the next release, not sure if they will help with this or not. The problem is distinguishing between a user initiated screen resolution change (in which case the Winstep application needs to move things around so everything remains visible and nothing stays off-screen) and what is only a temporary resolution change initiated by a game.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:32 pm 

I just tried the new beta. I shut down the computer before testing just to make sure. I tried this several times and the first time I launched Angry Birds or Total Annihilation everything worked fine. If I launched the other game after quitting the first, the old problem of minimizing to the taskbar returned and the dock was in a different position. It seemed to take slightly longer for this to happen, as if the program was trying to figure out what to do. The problem of exiting Total Annihilation from a 640x480 menu and the dock moving to a different position seems to have been fixed. I again tried this several times. It happened very fast but I actually saw the dock move from the center of the screen back to the bottom when the screen resolution changed from 640x480 back to 1920x1080.

I hope this helps. It is not a big problem for me, and as people stop using these older programs the problem should go away. Thanks for your effort. I'll let you know if I notice anything else. The date for the Beta was red so I have 30 days to test it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nezbit wrote:
I just tried the new beta. I shut down the computer before testing just to make sure. I tried this several times and the first time I launched Angry Birds or Total Annihilation everything worked fine. If I launched the other game after quitting the first, the old problem of minimizing to the taskbar returned and the dock was in a different position. It seemed to take slightly longer for this to happen, as if the program was trying to figure out what to do. The problem of exiting Total Annihilation from a 640x480 menu and the dock moving to a different position seems to have been fixed. I again tried this several times. It happened very fast but I actually saw the dock move from the center of the screen back to the bottom when the screen resolution changed from 640x480 back to 1920x1080.

I hope this helps. It is not a big problem for me, and as people stop using these older programs the problem should go away. Thanks for your effort. I'll let you know if I notice anything else. The date for the Beta was red so I have 30 days to test it.

@Nezbit - Could you perhaps duplicate that post in the 'So what is new after 22.7' thread please, just to make things simpler for Jorge to see in relation to the new beta? MTIA. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]