Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Workshelf Warning and crash
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:47 pm 

I have been getting a Warning pop up on my screen for workshelf that tells me to contact Winstep support. (see image) This happens every few hours or so. I am running Windows 11 os build 22621.2134 and Winstep Xtream 22.7 (The beta did not work for me so I went and removed it reinstalled 22.7 and now get this error. Nextstart seems to work fine it is just the Workshelf. Thanks :D

:Moderator's note - Colour and excessive size removed from text of post. Please read the Board Rules and Guidelines! - nexter:

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Workshelf Warning and crash
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A screenshot of just the notification window - slightly enlarged! - would have been much more informative and useful. It's impossible to read as is, and nobody's interested in your desktop in this context.

I'm afraid your query may have to wait till Jorge returns from a well-earned mini break. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:42 am 

Hope this works better.

:Moderator's note - Colour and larger text removed; you'd been told before not to use it! - nexter:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks. This means **something** has changed the WorkShelf executable. Assuming you did not do this yourself with a resource or hex editor, you should probably scan your PC for viruses.

Also, exactly WHY did the beta not work for you?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:31 pm 

No I did not edit the executable myself. Just ran Defender than Malwarebytes and Kaspersky Cloud did not find any virus or malware ect.. I think it must have to do with my windows install. When the windows 11 update took out the system tray I used Valinet explorer patchier to switch my taskbar to the windows 10 taskbar. This made the system tray work with 22.7 Winstep. I did remove it for the beta but maybe it did not fully remove!?! When I ran the Beta version of winstep Nextstart would strobe (flashing on and off) for about 60 seconds before fully loading. Also the network and sound icons where gone and also missing in the system tray. I removed the beta and reinstalled winstep 22.7 that is when workshelf began to act up. I think I am just do for a clean install of Windows 11 at this point. Then Ill give the beta another try (Without using Explore patchier at all). The only other mod I make to Windows 11 is using Hardentools for security. It will take me some time to do a clean install and get everything back up and running but will update this on if it worked. Cheers!

:Moderator's note - Once again, colour and larger font removed, despite having been told before; consider yourself warned - next time it will be an official warning! - nexter:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:31 pm 

I did a clean install of windows 11 os build 22621.2134. Did not install Valinet explorerpatcher or harden tools. I still get the strobing on start up with nextstart beta 23.7 I did a screen capture with obs studio and posted it on youtube: https://youtu.be/VExj1PZ6Uq4 to get it to stop strobing I have to place the mouse cursor over the taskbar. I tried setting the windows taskbar too auto hide in windows settings but it did not help. any other info you need I will provide. Cheers!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 pm 

:Moderator's note - Once again, colour and larger font removed, despite having been told before; consider yourself warned - next time it will be an official warning! - nexter:

Nice customer service! I did not see your warning as on a 4k monitor this text is damn small by default.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Williamsson wrote:
I did a clean install of windows 11 os build 22621.2134. Did not install Valinet explorerpatcher or harden tools. I still get the strobing on start up with nextstart beta 23.7 I did a screen capture with obs studio and posted it on youtube: https://youtu.be/VExj1PZ6Uq4 to get it to stop strobing I have to place the mouse cursor over the taskbar. I tried setting the windows taskbar too auto hide in windows settings but it did not help. any other info you need I will provide. Cheers!

Ah-ah! That strobing is the Windows taskbar fighting with the NextSTART taskbar. No idea yet why that happens though or even why it ends up stopping.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:21 am 

LOL I just was going to report that the gremlin left and it is working fine. I did nothing but rebooted (which i tried before to no effect) only thing different to this reboot was I installed a audio driver update. Dang GREMLINS!!!! :x :x :x Thanks for your time!! :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah! I think I understand then... the audio driver kept changing an icon in the systray, which made Windows turn the Windows taskbar visible again (or un-hide itself, which results in the same thing). NextSTART would detect that the Windows taskbar was visible and re-hide it, but then the icon would change again and so on...

I actually saw this before here, although I only remembered it now, and it had to do with the systray icon of some media player codecs.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:

Nice customer service! I did not see your warning as on a 4k monitor this text is damn small by default.

Read my signature - I am not customer service! I'm a (volunteer) moderator, and my prime function is to keep order and to keep the board running smoothly for everyone. If you'd bothered to read the Board Rules and Guidelines you'd have known that non-default and coloured fonts are not really acceptable, generally. Coloured text can be hard to read, certainly harder than the default.

As for the default text being somewhat small, that's not only the case on 4K monitors, it just is fairly small. I use a 4K monitor myself and have no difficulty reading it. If you do, it suggests that either you need glasses, or that you're too far away from your monitor, or possibly both. I'd check out both possibilities. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]