Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: Of note: Norton false positive
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:51 pm 

Recently my computer started to crash. I did a number of things to resolve my issue. Anyway one of the things I did was check for Viruses/malware ect.. I ran a host of tools and just for your info Norton Power Eraser flagged both NextSTART.exe and WorkShelf.exe as viruses I new it was a false positive (and that Norton sucks) but it was bundled in a kit of tools. I am happy to say the issue turned out to be a memory stick going bad it produced 113 errors in memtest86 (god the pain I went through and all I had to do was a memory test!) :roll:

Last edited by Williamsson on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: BitDefender, other AVs, and more....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:43 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Not sure if this belongs here but recently my computer started to crash. I did a number of things to resolve my issue. Anyway one of the things I did was check for Viruses/malware ect.. I ran a host of tools and just for your info Norton Power Eraser flagged both NextSTART.exe and WorkShelf.exe as viruses I new it was a false positive (and that Norton sucks) but it was bundled in a kit of tools. I am happy to say the issue turned out to be a memory stick going bad it produced 113 errors in memtest86 (god the pain I went through and all I had to do was a memory test!) :roll:

Nope, didn't really fit in there.... :) So I split it off into its own topic. Feel free to edit your above post to change the title. :)

Alas, memory sticks - and cards! - can't really be relied upon to keep things safe and behave. I always keep mine in duplicate and on top back them up on USB disks. Belt and braces, plus a piece of string! ;) Had experience of this sort of thing myself, inc. with an - at the time - very expensive 256Gig SD card for a digital camera. At least didn't loose any images though as I always offload them at least the same day to USB disk. Same applies to CF cards, though I don't really use them much and only have a couple of small ones.

Can't really say I've ever personally had any problems with AV and false positives - or any positives, actually - since using ESET, though in the more distant past used to get a good few false positives with various other AV utils. Inc. flagging NextSTART/Workshelf! :D

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:29 am 

nexter wrote:
Nope, didn't really fit in there.... :) So I split it off into its own topic. Feel free to edit your above post to change the title. :)

Alas, memory sticks - and cards! :D

Ok renamed it, And yeah ESET for the win! I lucked out this time and was able to do SFC/ scannow cmd to rebuild what errors the faulty Memory stick caused so lost nothing but time. And I guess I got my moneys worth out of that G.skill ripjaws kit. Recycled it from a previous computer build into this one. Bought the kit in 2017, that is what I get for being thrifty! :oops: Also back up is key! I keep all my personal stuff as well as my Winstep themes, Icons ext.. copied to two different locations call me paranoid but after spending hours making my own custom skins and icons I do not want to start over.
Cheers!Image

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:05 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Ok renamed it, And yeah ESET for the win! I lucked out this time and was able to do SFC/ scannow cmd to rebuild what errors the faulty Memory stick caused so lost nothing but time. And I guess I got my moneys worth out of that G.skill ripjaws kit. Recycled it from a previous computer build into this one. Bought the kit in 2017, that is what I get for being thrifty! :oops: Also back up is key! I keep all my personal stuff as well as my Winstep themes, Icons ext.. copied to two different locations call me paranoid but after spending hours making my own custom skins and icons I do not want to start over.
Cheers!Image

I noticed! :)

Burrrp! Cheers! Image :D

Ooh, I only wish more people would believe in backing up their data! Too often people come here, having e.g. lost their Winstep reg key and/or the version of Winstep their license was valid for, let alone all their other Winstep data like settings.... And then they expect bloody miracles! :( Really frustrating. :|

My own strategy has always been not to keep any of my data on the system disk (or system partition in the old days when hard disks were very expensive and Unix and related OSes created separate 'slices' or partitions anyway, and even the Amiga too!) and not even on another disk on the system for a very long time now. All data that are used to be worked on etc. are on a 'work' USB disk, with perhaps a small set of data that are needed over the next few days temporarily copied to a small partition on the machine. All data partitions and disks are fully encrypted with ultra-complex, 128-character passwords that would take longer than the age of the universe to crack barring a very powerful quantum super computer, as are even my OSes, and everything is backed up double on two separate disks, and so on.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:20 am 

nexter wrote:
All data partitions and disks are fully encrypted with ultra-complex, 128-character passwords that would take longer than the age of the universe to crack barring a very powerful quantum super computer, as are even my OSes, and everything is backed up double on two separate disks, and so on.

Yeah encryption is needed these days. Maybe we can get Jorge to start work on quantum encryption! LOL

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Of note: Norton false positive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:35 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

LOL! Yeah, I'm sure Jorge'd have no problem wrapping his head around cryptography. ;)

Actually, crypto for the 'quantum age' is already being studied/worked upon - it'll be a completely different ballgame. One can only hope that nobody lets so-called AI loose on the problem, that'd be a real recipe for disaster! Might as well let Microsoft 'do' it. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:19 am 

nexter wrote:
Might as well let Microsoft 'do' it. :P

LOL yeah I wont use MicroSlop Bitlocker as is or edge or meidia player or..... (that list is long the only microSlop app I keep is notepad) the rest I debloat. I hate to see how they would butcher a quantum operating system! The idea is going to give me nightmares! Image And now the monkeys over at MicroSlop are playing with AI Image I better stop I am just beating a dead horse now Image
Cheers Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:58 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
.... The idea is going to give me nightmares! Image

LOL! Yeah, really doesn't bear thinking about! For 'now' encryption, 'Veracrypt' is your friend - FOSS, cross-platform, wide choice of algorithms, triple encryption available.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:41 pm 

nexter wrote:
LOL! Yeah, really doesn't bear thinking about! For 'now' encryption, 'Veracrypt' is your friend - FOSS, cross-platform, wide choice of algorithms, triple encryption available.... :)

Oh yeah already onboard with Veracrypt been using it well since day one (after Truecrypt died)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Oh yeah already onboard with Veracrypt been using it well since day one (after Truecrypt died)

:D Excellent! Best there is. And same here, been using it for yonks (inc. the late Truecrypt).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:44 pm 

nexter wrote:
:D Excellent! Best there is. And same here, been using it for yonks (inc. the late Truecrypt).

Is "using it for yonks" the British equivalent to the Americans "Coon's age"? LOLImage
Love learning British slang, I started my journey as a young man with "Last of the summer wine" than moved on to "Top Gear"Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 pm 

Dang just reminded myself How much I miss Nora Batty and them stockings!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Yes I felt as if a lost a friend when Cleggy "Peter Sallis" passed away. But I think the passing of Compo "William John Owen" was the biggest loss to the show.

I had all 31 one series and specials plus the pilot "First of the summer wine" and the 2 series that followed. That collection was to large for me to back up at the time and I payed for it when I lost the disk drive it was on :cry: . Anyway I will have to see if I can find "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" you recommended. I also liked "Allo Allo", "Only Fools And Horses", "Fawlty Towers", and "Steptoe And Son" which we ripped off and called it "Sanford and Son". For Irish shows "Father Ted" was great and I enjoyed "Mrs Brown's Boys" Cheers!

Ah yes, Bill Owen, biggest loss to the series ever, and a fine character actor. Real sad. (Big mistake was, IMO, bringing his son into it after he'd died.) Then there was Brian Wilde, on his second stint in it as Foggy. :(

Some real classics there! The two greatest of those were Steptoe And Son - gawd, wasn't the 'old goat' of a father a character one could happily slap all day long, yet also pathetic! - which I saw when it was new, and we also saw a couple or so episodes of Sanford and Son. And later Fawlty Towers. And after all these years a new series is planned, albeit without half the original cast. Some dead, another has dementia, another doesn't want to know it seems. Somehow and old age Basil Fawlty doesn't strike me as comedy material but as a rather pathetic, tragic figure.

'Allo 'Allo' popularised 'Franglais', a kind of mix of (very) broken French and English. ;) And of course, 'Alright, Dave?' Rodders and Del Boy! And there are quite a few other classics as well, major as well as minor.

Father Ted repeats are showing more or less continuously here, and it's something I could watch over and over. Mrs. Brown's Boys was really good for a while, but after two or three series it seemed to go downhill to me.

They just don't make them like they used to any more.

Somehow I've never really been able to get into much US sitcoms. 'Rhoda' is one of the few I remember as it was real good, and of course, Soap - so bad it was good! ;) And of course, an all-time favourite of mine, 'MASH' - which when it was originally shown here on the BBC was shown without the horrible canned laughter track. I adored that show. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:29 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
Good news first series of "Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps" downloaded :) Cheers again!

It'll probably seem a bit shocking by US TV sensibilities, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway. :D

I'm just watching the repeats at the moment as it happens. Still makes me laugh. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 14 posts ]