Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Windows Software Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:14 am 

I do not work for Winstep but if you could provide more information like What the error message says, What version of windows you are running as well as the build version:

One way to check your windows os build is to press the Windows key + R, type "winver" in the Open box, and then select OK And if you can find a error log in Windows event viewer:

To find the Windows Event Viewer software log, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to open the Run window.
2. Enter "eventvwr" in the Run dialog box and press OK.
3. Expand the Windows Logs menu in the Event Viewer window.
4. Look for the Applications click on it and to the right window scroll through the events and see if you see any thing related too nextstart, winstep extreme or workshelf.

You will be looking for entries with a yellow cation sign or a red warning. The ones marked with a white information sign can be disregarded. Try running winstep extreme first before opening event viewer as this will post any warnings or errors at the top of the list.

Also if you know which version of winstep extreme you are running would be helpful. (I.e. v 22.7 or 23.7 beta) I hope this helps! Cheers

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:18 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

@ Williamsson - Phew, you've got patience! :) I can rarely be arsed to have to ask supplementary questions, let alone where so many are required. AFAIC, there's enough guidance in the forum to let users know that they should at least provide basic details. If they don't look for it, tough cheese, their problem. :( (And especially also when it looks like there might not even be a Winstep problem involved.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:29 am 

nexter wrote:
@ Williamsson - Phew, you've got patience! :)

No just a lot of free time LOL!

nexter wrote:
(And especially also when it looks like there might not even be a Winstep problem involved.)

Definitely not Winstep on it's own. Could be a software conflict with another 3rd party app, or (and my money is on) Windows file corruption.

A good tutorial video to check and fix Windows corrupt system files is:

A bit more advanced so always make a restore point first and backup your important files to separate disk drive or thumb drive.

Image I am a fan of WinstepImage

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
@ Williamsson - Phew, you've got patience! :)

No just a lot of free time LOL!

LOL! Dunno, if I had a lot of time on my hands I rather think I'd sooner watch my toenails grow.... ;)
Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:
(And especially also when it looks like there might not even be a Winstep problem involved.)

Definitely not Winstep on it's own. Could be a software conflict with another 3rd party app, or (and my money is on) Windows file corruption.

Yeah, I was thinking 3rd party app conflict or Windows playing up.
Williamsson wrote:
A good tutorial video to check and fix Windows corrupt system files is:

A bit more advanced so always make a restore point first and backup your important files to separate disk drive or thumb drive.
Looked into that a long while back but never had any use for it - yet! ;) Not ever. :D

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:54 pm 

nexter wrote:
LOL! Dunno, if I had a lot of time on my hands I rather think I'd sooner watch my toenails grow.... ;)

Well mate if that is what floats your boat, who am I to judge!Image

I guess I was told by my father as a wee lad "Do not pet the sweaty stuff and never sweat the petty stuff!"
ok maybe my father enjoyed to many drinks Image

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:57 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Williamsson wrote:
nexter wrote:

Well mate if that is what floats your boat, who am I to judge!Image

I guess I was told by my father as a wee lad "Do not pet the sweaty stuff and never sweat the petty stuff!"
ok maybe my father enjoyed to many drinks Image

Doesn't exactly float my boat actually, but just about preferable to having to worm info out of people. :P

Your dad may well have had a point, I think. Let's drink to that! ;) Image

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]