Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Disappearing icons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:27 am 

Hi,

Certain applications are losing their Icons (change into white rectangles) in the dock under windows 11. Its generally the same applications. This happens after a random time interval.

e.g.
Whatsapp for windows
Dyson Sphere (and other xbox games, other xbox games e.g. railway tycoon do not do this)
etc...

Sometimes the icons stay correct for a few hours sometimes its a few days. If the icons are re-added sometimes they change to the rectangle straight away other times it keeps the old icon. If the icon is dragged from the start menu to the desktop or windows taskbar this does not happen.

The only time I have seen something similar is if a folder is created on the desktop and icons are put into it this sometimes happens as well.

If I attempt to change the icons back by selecting the file it says I don't have rights although there is only one user on the PC.

I have fiddled with the icon settings but am unable to fix this any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Disappearing icons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OldGuy wrote:
Certain applications are losing their Icons (change into white rectangles) in the dock under windows 11. Its generally the same applications. This happens after a random time interval.

Are you running the free version of Nexus, Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme?

Sounds - but please correct me if I am wrong - that the applications doing this are ALL UWP apps and not Win32 programs (this is why I ask the above question, if you are running anything other than the free version of Nexus we can see the icons of all UWP apps installed on your system in the Apps tab of the Shelf).

The problem is that UWP apps do not use icons but something else (usually stand alone PNG images), and the way Microsoft has integrated them into Windows is somewhat imperfect. I have seen UWP apps temporarily showing the wrong icon here at times, but it's something that usually fixes itself and normally has something to do with a corrupt *Windows* icon cache.

What happens if you right click on the offending item/icon and go to the Item Properties dialog?

OldGuy wrote:
If I attempt to change the icons back by selecting the file it says I don't have rights although there is only one user on the PC.

Exactly what do you mean by 'selecting the file' and where does that error message come from? That particular error might be a clue to explaining the issue.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:55 am 

I was running the free version, after seeing this reply I am now running the ultimate version (great customer service from your side by the way, thank you).

Yes both these appear in the APPS tab and both don't have icons there either.

I think you are correct about the images I manually added the image to the one (Via properties) application and it worked, however the APPS tab still has the incorrect icon (I assume it can be reset somewhere). I will see if it remains.

What I meant by 'selecting the file' was I attempted to select the executable assuming the icon was linked to that. In this case however it is obviously not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your Windows icon cache might have become corrupt. Check this article HERE on how to force Windows/Explorer to rebuild the icon cache.

After doing this you should also restart the Winstep application (or exit it before doing the procedure described in the article above). Proceed at your own risk, of course.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]