Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Windows 11 taskbar (NOT the system tray :-))
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:38 am 

Hi,

With winstep installed, when I attempt to change the registry setting to move the windows taskbar it no longer works. (Clean install winstep installed before changing the registry) the taskbar simply does not move. This is done with an admin account.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so how was it solved.

Secondary questions around this, fastboot and launch nexus at startup is failing I suspect it is related.

Winstep appears to be auto turning off hide windows taskbar on reboot. i.e. I activate turn off windows taskbar but on reboot this option is no active and the system reboots to a screen with windows taskbar and no winstep. I then manually have to launch winstep.

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 taskbar (NOT the system tray :-))
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What registry setting to move the Windows taskbar? And, again, are you running the free version of Nexus or something else? What version (see top right corner of the About tab of Preferences) ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:04 pm 

I have now upgraded to ultimate but the problem persists

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3

as per https://pureinfotech.com/move-taskbar-t ... indows-11/ and other sites

(I wanted it at the top so I could access my system tray when needed)

I run bitmeter 2 which winstep does not see (its an old app running on .net 3.5 but it runs directly to the system tray so no way to pin it to the task bar)

After changing the reg keys the system resets the value to 03 and keeps the taskbar at the bottom.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that, as that article states, the current version of Windows 11 is not designed to have the Windows taskbar placed anywhere else other than the bottom of the screen.

The Registry workaround you described might work for a while, but as soon as a 3rd party application interacts with the Windows taskbar (or, as I suspect is happening here, with reserved screen areas also used by the taskbar) Windows will simply reset the taskbar position to the bottom/default.

Do you have the 'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock/shelf' settings (Dock/Shelf Properties dialog -> Position tab) enabled? If so, try setting those options to off.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:18 pm 

With the new version of StartAllBack you can move the taskbar back to where you want it. You can also go up and make them smaller again. Greetings

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]