Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: App in full screen mode and the dock cannot be opened.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:02 pm 

Hello community,
When I work with Adobe LR in full screen mode, it sometimes happens that I can't access the Dock. Neither with the mouse nor with a keyboard shortcut. But it's not always.
If I shrink the program window, it works again. Likewise when I change the window and, for example, open Explorer in full screen mode.
What could be the reason?
Greetings

Post subject: Re: App in full screen mode and the dock cannot be opened.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:46 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

sittsoft wrote:
Hello community,
When I work with Adobe LR in full screen mode, it sometimes happens that I can't access the Dock. Neither with the mouse nor with a keyboard shortcut. But it's not always.
If I shrink the program window, it works again. Likewise when I change the window and, for example, open Explorer in full screen mode.
What could be the reason?
Greetings

Most likely your dock configuration is the problem. However, you give virtually no details whatsoever. First off, what version of Windows are you running, and which Winstep app - Winstep Xtreme, Nexus Ultimate, free Nexus, and which version? Also, is Adobe in true full screen mode, or just maximised - the two tend to be confused by a lot if not most people.

Further, to check on your configuration for your dock, the following screenshots would greatly help :

Dock Properties -> Behaviour,
Dock Properties -> Behaviour -> Auto-Hide Settings,
Dock Properties -> Behaviour -> Activation Settings

Also, describe, in as much detail as possible, the exact sequence of what you do and what happens.

Most of these details you would have known to provide if you had read the Board Rules and Guidelines properly.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 pm 

Hello Nexter,
Thank you for the feedback.
Full screen or maximized.
I think neither LR CC nor PS can run in full screen. So I can only maximize the windows.
I work with Windows 11 Pro version 23H2. I also use StartAllBack because otherwise the system tray display in the dock doesn't work properly.
But this strange behavior is difficult to reproduce.
Maybe you have an idea why this sometimes happens and why sometimes it doesn't. Attached are the screenshots you want.
Best regards

Attachments:
w3.jpg
w3.jpg [ 152.89 KiB | Viewed 28972 times ]
w2.jpg
w2.jpg [ 95.39 KiB | Viewed 28972 times ]
w1.jpg
w1.jpg [ 124.65 KiB | Viewed 28972 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:33 pm 

I am using the same version, 22.7 under Windows 10 and have also encountered the same problem in the past. I change my desktop very often so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe changing the "Activation Settings" under the "Behavior" tab to what I have in the illustration helped. I believe I changed the "Edge Bump Settings" also.

I am currently using a Grid Stack pinned to my taskbar, and I found that disabling all animations can cause the Grid Stack to open behind open windows. That setting can be found by pressing CTRL+F11 and clicking on the "General" tab.

Attachments:
Edge Bump Settings.PNG
Edge Bump Settings.PNG [ 35.66 KiB | Viewed 28954 times ]
Activtion Settings.PNG
Activtion Settings.PNG [ 43.8 KiB | Viewed 28954 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nezbit wrote:
I am using the same version, 22.7 under Windows 10 and have also encountered the same problem in the past. I change my desktop very often so I'm not 100% positive, but I believe changing the "Activation Settings" under the "Behavior" tab to what I have in the illustration helped. I believe I changed the "Edge Bump Settings" also.

I am currently using a Grid Stack pinned to my taskbar, and I found that disabling all animations can cause the Grid Stack to open behind open windows. That setting can be found by pressing CTRL+F11 and clicking on the "General" tab.

It's a queer one really as it only happens sometimes. As I have all anims disabled system wide and don't use any hide or activation settings it's hard to check on it here (esp. also as I don't use a dock any more in my user account and in any even am not in Windows at present) but I'll try and check on it when I can spare the time.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 pm 

I believe it has something to do with Adobe's programs. I just had the problem again. The dock would not open while I was working with LR CC and Photoshop. If I minimize the windows of these apps and open Word, the Dock opens without any problem. If I open the Adobe apps and maximize the windows, I have the problem again that the dock cannot be accessed with the mouse. Otherwise, always... Strange...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

sittsoft wrote:
I believe it has something to do with Adobe's programs. I just had the problem again. The dock would not open while I was working with LR CC and Photoshop. If I minimize the windows of these apps and open Word, the Dock opens without any problem. If I open the Adobe apps and maximize the windows, I have the problem again that the dock cannot be accessed with the mouse. Otherwise, always... Strange...

Actually, yes, that seems to be the most likely cause, alas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The dock is designed not to activate when a full screen app is open (typically games, so it doesn't accidentally activate - bringing you back to the desktop - just as you are about to shoot someone in the face in a fast paced FPS).

This said, not sure if it is already in the v22.7 beta (and if not it will be in the next official release) but under Dock Properties -> Behavior -> Activation Settings you now have a button that says 'Full Screen Exclusion List'. In there you can specify exceptions, so that Nexus will activate regardless of that particular application being full screen or not.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:34 pm 

I have made the settings and will observe how the program behaves. I'll let you know if this has improved. Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:24 pm 

Unfortunately it didn't work. The dock shows up in all apps - only in ADOBE PHOTOSHOP and LIGHTROOM it doesn't come to the foreground. For example, if I use the keyboard shortcut to open Explorer and move the cursor to the bottom edge of the screen, the dock appears immediately. If one of the graphics programs named above is active, it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you please post a screenshot of your 'Full Screen Exclusion List' dialog?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:59 pm 

Attachment:
1a.png
1a.png [ 22.25 KiB | Viewed 28614 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, can you please download and run this small 'Foreground Tester' application from HERE and run it together with each of those applications while you try to activate the dock?

It should help us diagnose what might be going on, especially given that both the problematic applications are from Adobe (my guess is that those executables are just 'launchers' to something else).

Also, could you try the Full Screen Exclusion list with something other than those two applications (e.g. setting your browser to full screen by clicking F11 after adding it to the list)? I just tried it here with Firefox and the exclusion list IS doing its job as it should.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:04 pm 

I acted according to the instructions. Edge added to the exclusion list. Opened in full screen and I was able to access the dock. Removed from the list and I couldn't access the dock. Run the program you provided and start the Adobe programs. I was able to open the dock. But: the dock not opening doesn't always happen! Only in certain situations. But I can't say what I did with the program shortly before...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the exclusion list is working. Anyway, doesn't always happen with the Adobe applications?

You can assign a hotkey to activate the dock in Dock Properties -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings . Try assigning a hot key and next time the dock fails to respond to a screen edge bump, use the hotkey to see if that works (if it's a full screen problem the hotkey won't do anything either).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next