Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Possible bug in latest Nexus version on Windows 11
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:01 pm 

Possible bug:
- Windows border on Discord flashes when opened or maximized

Proof:
- https://youtu.be/Q9TF4cNZMf0

Possible fix:
- Exit Nexus (no flashes occur - but option is not preferable)

Happens on my son's pc and my own.

Off topic: What an otherwise awesome piece of software Nexus is

Edit: Video is at 0.8 speed as the flash didn't show up otherwise in my piece of c video editing software.

Edit 2: Turning on hardware acceleration in discord seems to have solved the problem...

Post subject: Re: Possible bug in latest Nexus version on Windows 11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Robin wrote:
Possible bug:
- Windows border on Discord flashes when opened or maximized

Proof:
- https://youtu.be/Q9TF4cNZMf0

Possible fix:
- Exit Nexus (no flashes occur - but option is not preferable)

Happens on my son's pc and my own.

Off topic: What an otherwise awesome piece of software Nexus is

Edit: Video is at 0.8 speed as the flash didn't show up otherwise in my piece of c video editing software.

Edit 2: Turning on hardware acceleration in discord seems to have solved the problem...

Evidently not a bug in Nexus then.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a bug, but I think I know what might be causing this.

If you have the dock set to display running applications (i.e. also acting as a tasklist) then instead of simply displaying the running application's icon, Nexus tries to get the thumbnail of the window itself. A bit like the Windows taskbar's live preview, except these thumbnails are static (and the mechanism used to get them is totally different, this method works even on Windows XP).

These static thumbnails need to be 'refreshed' from time to time, but for a variety of reasons the Winstep application only does so when the application is restored after being minimized, or when the window caption changes.

The thumbnail is obtained by asking the window to 'repaint' itself via a special Windows message, but into a bitmap in memory rather than the screen (it is this bitmap that is then used as the thumbnail). To avoid re-painting problems after this, the window is then asked to refresh itself, but this time on the screen.

This works fine with the vast majority of applications out there and is completely transparent to the user, but there is always the odd one that doesn't like it when this mechanism is applied to it (your Discord App seems to be one of those applications, in that it 'flashes' when asked to repaint itself).

This is why in

Preferences -> Tasks tab -> Advanced Button -> Advanced dialog

there is a 'Thumbnail Exclusion List'. You can either add the problematic application to this list, or you can disable the whole thing by unchecking the 'Show icons of running applications as window thumbnails' setting (in which case all running applications in the dock will simply display that application's icon).

Hope this helps!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 pm 

Thanks for the in-depth reply. Appreciate it :thumbsup:

I'll add that this 'odd' behavior also includes Spotify. Both issues can be avoided though by enabling hardware acceleration in both apps. But as my son's PC and my own are gaming rigs we of course had these options disabled as suggested by most tweakers to have the rig perform at highest possible level.

Again... great app. Seems very well optimized and only uses low resources. Thanks for great contribution to the cosmetic side of PCs.

:heart:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]