Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Strange problem with docks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:44 pm 

If I'm typing into one of my active programs (notepad or web browser as an example) and my mouse cursor happens to move over top of one of the docks, Nexus comes up and then my typing input is stopped. What's interesting is that if this happens a couple of times in a row, my keyboard goes squirrely. Half of the keys stop working and I have to close down Nexus to get it working again. Frustrating as all heck because my mouse cursor often gets bumped near one of the docks on a regular basis. Running Windows 10 (not 11).

Post subject: Re: Strange problem with docks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ocs1986 wrote:
If I'm typing into one of my active programs (notepad or web browser as an example) and my mouse cursor happens to move over top of one of the docks, Nexus comes up and then my typing input is stopped.

Open the dock's Properties dialog, click on the Behavior tab then the activation settings button. Disable 'Bring dock forward on mouse over'.

You might eventually miss this functionality though, as it allows you to bring a dock partially covered by other windows forward without having to click on it (and automatically have it go back behind those windows if you then decide to mouse away from it without actually clicking on anything).

ocs1986 wrote:
What's interesting is that if this happens a couple of times in a row, my keyboard goes squirrely.

Open Preferences, click on the General tab, click the More Options button. Select 'Disable simulated ALT key press when forcing windows to the foreground' and see if that fixes the problem (pretty sure it will).

You can blame Microsoft for that one when they decided that it was a good idea to prevent applications from coming to the foreground, thus creating a situation where applications that really needed this functionality - like Nexus - had to resort to 'work-arounds'. The intentions were good as some misbehaving applications really abused their former ability to pop themselves up onto the foreground, but Microsoft should have left the decision to use those applications or not to the user, rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

ocs1986 wrote:
Frustrating as all heck because my mouse cursor often gets bumped near one of the docks on a regular basis.

And another user will find this functionality invaluable. Which is one of the reasons why Nexus is so highly customizable, so you can make it 'your own'.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Strange problem with docks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
ocs1986 wrote:
Frustrating as all heck because my mouse cursor often gets bumped near one of the docks on a regular basis.

And another user will find this functionality invaluable. Which is one of the reasons why Nexus is so highly customizable, so you can make it 'your own'.

Yes, indeed, but sometimes one really can't help wondering if things are too customisable for the 'average' user who never looks at all the available settings.... ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]