Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Unable to complete the setup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:29 pm 

After extracting the zip file, when I try running the setup file, the system shows me this error given below. What do I do?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-12 185630.png
Screenshot 2023-12-12 185630.png [ 34.56 KiB | Viewed 8295 times ]
Screenshot 2023-12-12 185545.png
Screenshot 2023-12-12 185545.png [ 36.81 KiB | Viewed 8295 times ]

Post subject: Re: Unable to complete the setup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It looks like either the extraction from the zip corrupted the setup files, or else that the zip got corrupted in downloading. Either way, might be worth exploring and downloading the installation archive again and un-zipping that, and then try installing from that again.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually I think it is his AntiVirus software.

Seems some security companies find it easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater instead of doing the real work, and thus assume that anything trying to write to folders under Public Documents (a perfectly legal folder to store data) can only be nasty ransomware trying to encrypt all of the user's documents and data.

So they block access, but worse, they do it silently instead of warning the user - with a big red warning dialog - about what they are doing so he is at least aware that something fishy *might* be going on (or why exactly his favorite software is failing to update itself).

What AV software are you running?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:07 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Actually I think it is his AntiVirus software.

Seems some security companies find it easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater instead of doing the real work, and thus assume that anything trying to write to folders under Public Documents (a perfectly legal folder to store data) can only be nasty ransomware trying to encrypt all of the user's documents and data.

So they block access, but worse, they do it silently instead of warning the user - with a big red warning dialog - about what they are doing so he is at least aware that something fishy *might* be going on (or why exactly his favorite software is failing to update itself).

What AV software are you running?

Yeah, I vaguely thought it might be AV related, but the error message threw me a bit as it seemed to imply a problem in finding the file in the install archive....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]