Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How to get WinStep to skin the Start Menu? (Windows 10)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
However, you could make things so much easier by using the Winstep Start Menu Organiser Pro to put all your Startmenu links into appropriate categories/sub-categories, instead of the inherently clunky method of using the actual, physical, Programs folder.

He explained in a previous post that subsequent updates of many of his applications would mess up his carefully crafted categories, so he prefers not having to deal with that.

In that case it really is a question of preference and against that there is no argument. However, regarding the automatic cascading menus vs. More option, the reasoning for how it currently operates is based on functionality.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:41 pm 

Winstep wrote:
What do you have associated with a bump on the bottom screen edge?

I remember what I changed that made Grid Stacks on the taskbar sometimes open behind open windows.

I was having a problem with older games that didn't run at desktop resolution minimizing to the taskbar immediately when launched from a Grid Stack. I found that if I selected "Disable all animations" under the General Preferences tab, the game would launch without a problem. I also found that created the problem of Grid Stacks on the taskbar sometimes opening behind open windows.

I stopped using Grid Stacks on the taskbar for that reason, but I forgot why I did.

I also came up with another solution. Place the Dock with the Grid Stack in front of the taskbar just to the left of the System Tray area. Make it "Always above other windows", and make it "Auto-hide for maximized applications when always on top". That solved both problems I was having.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nezbit wrote:
I was having a problem with older games that didn't run at desktop resolution minimizing to the taskbar immediately when launched from a Grid Stack. I found that if I selected "Disable all animations" under the General Preferences tab, the game would launch without a problem. I also found that created the problem of Grid Stacks on the taskbar sometimes opening behind open windows.

And BOOOOOM, just like that you caused me to know about and fix two bugs. The first was a Grid not coming to the foreground if animations were disabled and the second was the Grid being forced to the foreground when playing the HIDE animation (which is why the game got minimized when launched from a Grid Stack).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
However, you could make things so much easier by using the Winstep Start Menu Organiser Pro to put all your Startmenu links into appropriate categories/sub-categories, instead of the inherently clunky method of using the actual, physical, Programs folder.

He explained in a previous post that subsequent updates of many of his applications would mess up his carefully crafted categories, so he prefers not having to deal with that.

Ah but the point is his categories get messed up when there are updates to many (?, sic!) of his apps because he is using the folders in Program Files - i.e., a folder view of exes etc. Whereas this would not happen with the links copied from the Windows Taskbar - at least, it never, ever happens here.
winstep wrote:
In that case it really is a question of preference and against that there is no argument. However, regarding the automatic cascading menus vs. More option, the reasoning for how it currently operates is based on functionality.

Sure, there's no argument against preference. And exactly the point - functionality first. :D

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2