Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart: one more request
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:46 am 

So I have the option set, such that when I point at All Programs, or any of the *more* entries, they automatically open the next level of menu... but that isn't quite what I'm accustomed to, and it doesn't really make sense...

When I Hover over All Programs menu item in start menu, I *really* expect the entire, extended menu tree to expand at once... That is what Windows XP did, and that's what Open Shell Menu does... is there some option present, to make that happen?? if not, could I please submit a bug report on this issue??

If I want cascading menus, I *obviously* want them to cascade automatically... to have to hover over a sequence of *more* tabs, makes no sense at all...

Post subject: Re: NextStart: one more request
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was actually expecting you to raise this issue lol. It's not a bug. It's by design.

NextSTART allows you to browse/navigate whole folders and sub-folders using nothing but menus (menus will even accept true drag & drop of files, to and from). Some folders have thousands of files - what do you think would happen if cascading menus worked as you wished? Besides the obvious performance issues opening a metric ton of menus at the same time, you would have a mess of (now useless) confusing overlapping menus.

Try to use your All Programs menu structure in Open Start menu on a 1028x768 screen resolution monitor to experience what I mean - you can get away with it now because you have a 30" monitor at 2560 x 1600. Would you really go to the expense of buying a 43" 4K monitor - and probably a new graphics card to game at that resolution - if (when) that menu gets much bigger just so you can see everything at once?

Try adjusting to the More button at the bottom of the menu to open the next cascading menu in line. I guarantee it will become second nature after a short period of time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:28 am 

winstep wrote:
I was actually expecting you to raise this issue lol. It's not a bug. It's by design.

[...]

All well and good, except the situation that *I* live with, has been reality for decades, and works fine... and as I noted elsewhere, both Windows XP and Open Start Menu handle it routinely...

It would be fine if this was an *optional* behavior, that could be turned off by the 90% of people who just wanted cascading menus to work like cascading menus... but the way it works now is clunky and undesirable...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

derelict wrote:
but the way it works now is clunky and undesirable...

I disagree, you're just not used to it IMO. Click click click the More buttons in quick succession, you're done, you get all 3 or 4 cascading menus.

Want to imagine what would truly be clunky and undesirable? In the main NextSTART menu there is a 'Computer' entry by default, it will open a sub-menu showing all your drives. Click on it, then Drive C: then Windows then System32. Now start clicking on More to see how many menus would open at the same time and how this would mean that, due to lack of screen space, the last menus would be overlapping the previous menus (as in several levels deep of overlapping), thus rendering the whole 'cascading' thing futile.

You're looking at this from your perspective only, where all you want cascading is the All Programs menu - I have to look at it from a general *functional* point of view. And even then you would quickly change your mind if the All Programs menus were so big (or they had so much content) that the last cascading menus would overlap the previous menus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:52 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

derelict wrote:
winstep wrote:

[...]

All well and good, except the situation that *I* live with, has been reality for decades, and works fine... and as I noted elsewhere, both Windows XP and Open Start Menu handle it routinely...

It would be fine if this was an *optional* behavior, that could be turned off by the 90% of people who just wanted cascading menus to work like cascading menus... but the way it works now is clunky and undesirable...

LOL! Who are you kidding? Your kind of cascading menus would be a complete nightmare for most people, and most XP users switched back to the 'Classic Startmenu' very quickly. Even on my 32" 4K monitor your cascading menu is, for me, my worst nightmare become manifest - I would never find anything there, it's just too much all at once. I don't keep the books in my bookcases simply ordered alphabetically by author but first, divided into fiction and non-fiction, and then an adaptation of standard library classification, making it dead simple to find everything. A Startmenu should have similar order to be effective.

Even an option to have complete cascading menus in Nextstart would be one option too many - that kind of thing would just annoy the **** out of most users. It's something that is just completely alien to the nature of Nextstart. Now that *is* something that would truly be clunky. Imagine a folder along the way containing thousands of files - it'll run out of screen space and start overlapping catastrophically!

Most people prefer order to chaos. That's one of the reasons Nextstart came into existence - to make it easy to create exactly the kind of order that the individual user prefers. Almost all Linux distros come with an ordered Menu as part of the GUI - usually user configurable to an extent - for the same reason.

When Win XP came along, I instantly switched to 'Classic Startmenu' myself and edited this to reflect, as near as possible, my Nextstart Startmenu (and this is also reflected in my Menu in Ubuntu and Fedora Linux, my main OSes for a number of years now). Thus, in my Nextstart Startmenu I have a number of top level folders representing categories, such as Accessories, GFX, Internet, Audio/Visual, System, Office, WebDev, Utilities, Security/Privacy, etc. Into these I drag and drop appropriate apps links from the Windows Startmenu, and in some cases relevant sub-category folders, and so on. If I want to run e.g. a specific GFX app, I don't want to have to scan a long alphabetical list to find it, I go straight to the GFX folder where there will be a very short list for me to choose from, simple. (Even simpler now as I only still (have to) use around a handful of apps/utils under Windows.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]