Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Discord shortcut keeps breaking
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:29 am 

Hello everyone,

I have been using Nexus for a few days now and I am completely in love with how everything works, but one thing keeps bothering me and I do not know how to properly resolve it.

As some people might know Discord updates the app automatically every time there is an update. The problem with this is that for Nexus the current created "Dock Item" will not work as intended. Every time Discord has a update the path to the filename will be changed.

For example:

Discord Canary is currently (at time of writing) on version 1.0.272. If I have a Dock Item with filename:

Code:
c:\users\shogun\appdata\local\discordcanary\app-1.0.272\discordcanary.exe

and Discord starts up and has a different version (because of the update) it will create a new instance. Discord stores the updates in local appdata with the format app-x.x.x

I am aware that I can make a setting that the icon will not keep changing back to the original, but I prefer to have Discord in the beginning of the bar as I always have it, sadly with this issue this is not the case. But I would like to know if there is a workaround for this problem that I am facing since this is the only thing that is troubling me with this amazing program.

Below I will write the things I have already tried to resolve this issue:

Attempt 1
Moving the latest update of Discord to a folder named "current".
This doesn't work since Discord cannot check the application version then. Discord checks the application version from the folder name while starting the executable.

Attempt 2
Setting the filename to the update executable itself.
This doesn't work since the executable will be a different filename and therefore not group.

Attempt 3
Download Discord from the Microsoft Store.
This doesn't work since it will still follow the same procedure as it does when you normally download it.

I am not quite sure if I am just overlooking a setting or if this is actually an existing issue and I hope someone will be able to help me resolve this.

Post subject: Re: Discord shortcut keeps breaking
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no setting for keeping track of an application that keeps changing location (which IMO is just stupid, but oh well). It's like Discord is playing pick-a-boo and expecting others to find it every time lol

Does the setup for Discord create a shortcut icon on the Windows desktop? If so, it will probably update the shortcut every time a new version is installed.

You could try making the item in the dock point to the shortcut instead of application itself, but since the dock will automatically resolve any shortcut you drop into it, you will have to do this manually via the item's Item Properties Editor, changing the path to something like

C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Discord.lnk

or

C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Discord.lnk

The above is just an example, you will have to find the correct path of the shortcut (.lnk) file.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:04 pm 

winstep wrote:
There is no setting for keeping track of an application that keeps changing location (which IMO is just stupid, but oh well). It's like Discord is playing pick-a-boo and expecting others to find it every time lol

This is indeed a very annoying thing from the Discord applications itself. I myself was not aware that this is how they handled the updates of their application until I encountered this issue.

winstep wrote:
Does the setup for Discord create a shortcut icon on the Windows desktop? If so, it will probably update the shortcut every time a new version is installed.

Yes this one keeps being updated.

winstep wrote:
You could try making the item in the dock point to the shortcut instead of application itself, but since the dock will automatically resolve any shortcut you drop into it, you will have to do this manually via the item's Item Properties Editor, changing the path to something like

C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\Discord.lnk

or

C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Discord.lnk

The above is just an example, you will have to find the correct path of the shortcut (.lnk) file.

I have tried the above you have mentioned, sadly this does not resolve it as well. I can indeed start Discord and that works well. As you can see in the image below, the Discord Canary (the yellow Discord logo) application itself is in the active tab.

For both dragging the shortcut into it and adding the .Ink manually results in the same behavior.

I am not well versed in how Nexus works, but would there be a way to automatically add/update a shortcut from an outside source (maybe through a bat/PowerShell script) instead of manually adding/reconfiguring it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alm1ghtyShogun wrote:
For both dragging the shortcut into it and adding the .Ink manually results in the same behavior.

Not sure I understand. What is "the same behavior" ? Can you please post a screenshot of the Item Properties Editor dialog for the Discord shortcut (.lnk) target version?

Alm1ghtyShogun wrote:
I am not well versed in how Nexus works, but would there be a way to automatically add/update a shortcut from an outside source (maybe through a bat/PowerShell script) instead of manually adding/reconfiguring it?

Nah. No launcher application expects the path of items in it to keep changing.

Here is a suggestion though: since you seem to be using the dock to show running applications, after installing a newer version of Discord manually run it (perhaps Discord setup does this already) and then drag & drop the icon from the right side of the dock (running applications section) into the left side, then delete the old Discord icon.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 pm 

winstep wrote:
Not sure I understand. What is "the same behavior" ? Can you please post a screenshot of the Item Properties Editor dialog for the Discord shortcut (.lnk) target version?

The .Ink file properties

The Dock Item Properties I created

The properties when moving Discord from the open applications to the left side

All these settings will result in Discord being opened in the right side and not the left side. Creating an dock item with the same properties as the on from the .Ink file also did result in the same.

Doing the same properties as the .Ink file also does not work because of how Nexus works. It checks if the path to the file is correctly the same as provided in the Dock Item properties (this is what I assume)

winstep wrote:
Here is a suggestion though: since you seem to be using the dock to show running applications, after installing a newer version of Discord manually run it (perhaps Discord setup does this already) and then drag & drop the icon from the right side of the dock (running applications section) into the left side, then delete the old Discord icon.

Moving the instance of Discord that is running from the right side to the left side is also not working. The problem with this is, will be that I will have to manually change the icon and remove the old Discord icon every time there is an update.

The way how Discord handles this is very annoying. I hope you can provide me with another possible solution.

I also have another question not related to this issue that I have noticed today. When having a specific program open multiple times (Brave browser in this case) it is showing this little indicator "2" in the bottom right corner. Is there way to turn this off? And maybe add an extra indicator below like it already does when you have the application open? Please see image:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alm1ghtyShogun wrote:
...I also have another question not related to this issue that I have noticed today. When having a specific program open multiple times (Brave browser in this case) it is showing this little indicator "2" in the bottom right corner. Is there way to turn this off? And maybe add an extra indicator below like it already does when you have the application open? Please see image:

The "2" indicator signifies that there are two instances of the programme running. This can be turned off. However, having this replaced by a second (and subsequent if applicable) 'dot' indicator would be a nice touch. This is how the dock in Ubuntu Linux handles this (up to four dots max.), but I'm not sure if this could be done easily in Nextstart/Nexus if at all.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
The "2" indicator signifies that there are two instances of the programme running. This can be turned off.

Actually it cannot, sorry Nexter. :D

The only way not to display the number of instances is to disable task icon grouping, then if you have three running instances of the same app you get 3 individual icons other than a single icon with a 3 super-imposed on it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alm1ghtyShogun wrote:
The .Ink file properties

That shortcut is running an Update.exe file, not Discord directly. No wonder it doesn't work lol.

At this point the issue is with how Discord handles updates, not with the Winstep application itself, sorry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
The "2" indicator signifies that there are two instances of the programme running. This can be turned off.

Actually it cannot, sorry Nexter. :D

The only way not to display the number of instances is to disable task icon grouping, then if you have three running instances of the same app you get 3 individual icons other than a single icon with a 3 super-imposed on it.

's what I meant, sorry I didn't elaborate.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]