Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Can't Remove Nexus Icons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19 pm 

Hey all,

So, I just downloaded Nexus yesterday and looooooooove it. This morning, I somehow managed to pin my volume & system tray link icons.....and I can't get rid of them on the Nexus task bar.

I'm guessing I'll just have to start over, but, I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Can't Remove Nexus Icons
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you just told Nexus to display the system tray (Notification area) icons. You're running Windows 10, right?

Anyway, if that is it the quickest way to undo that is by right clicking on the Nexus Control Icon, selecting Insert New Dock Item from the context menu that pops up (yeah, I know, it makes as much sense as having to click the Windows Start Button to shut down your PC lol) then select 'Hide system tray in this dock'.

Alternatively you can open Nexus Preferences, go to the Contents tab and clear 'Show system tray on this dock'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:46 pm 

winstep wrote:
I think you just told Nexus to display the system tray (Notification area) icons. You're running Windows 10, right?

Yep yep! (Sorry, I should have mentioned that right off.)

winstep wrote:
Alternatively you can open Nexus Preferences, go to the Contents tab and clear 'Show system tray on this dock'.

THIS. This did it, my man. I thought I'd be struggling with this for dayyyyys haha.

Thanks so much for getting back to me & for the info!

Be well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:26 am 

I have the opposite problem, my system tray along with the icon that displayed the bluetooth/wifi menu has gone missing after updating windows today.

The tray itself reappears when I open an app, but still minus the bluetooth and tray icon that displays my running background apps, changing Nexus Ultimate settings has no affect on this at all... any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let me guess, you updated to Windows 11 22H2 or 23H2?

Starting with Windows 11 22H2, and mostly for purely cosmetic reasons, Microsoft made deep changes to tried and tested core functions of Windows that had previously been working fine for decades.

Windows 11 22H2 made many core changes to the Windows taskbar and systray. As a result systray icons can no longer be accessed directly by Winstep applications, and while v23.11 offers some temporary mitigations (giving you access to the main systray volume/network/etc panel and to the systray overflow area) this does require the user to disable the 'Always show all system tray icons' setting in the Winstep application - plus system tray icon customization with high resolution icons is currently no longer possible.

So, if you are not running v23.11 yet, you should upgrade to it ASAP. It will not bring your system tray icons back like before, but will allow you to at least work around it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:58 am 

I figured out the uncheck the box stuff back when I first purchased and started using Nexus Ultimate. It's been fine all this time.

Yesterdays update took me from 22H2 to version 24H2 of windows, which apparently is gonna eff things up even more. In addition to the nexus issues it also ramped up background cpu usage, added 5 degrees Celsius to my system temps and also caused Edge to display every other page as nothing but text thus requiring at least 1 or two refreshes of those pages to get them to load right. There's a bunch of other crappy stuff they did with it but won't get into that here.

I'm on version 24.1 of Nexus so well above the version you mentioned, and I check at least once a week for new versions (aside from also having it set to check for new versions occasionally). And I did customize those two icons hehe.

Side note, displaying the system tray in vertical docks doesn't work, at least I couldn't get it to show (although I didn't disable it in the main dock so it might be it can only show in 1 dock at a time).

24H2 just totally removed those icons and none of the Nexus options would bring it back and there's no way to manually add them back either.

I should also be clear (and this is why I didn't submit a support ticket) that it's not a huge deal, I mean a temp easy fix was just to add a show/hide taskbar icon to the dock and just show and use the regular taskbar to do that stuff and then hide it again.

It's also not an issue for me atm because of all the crap MS screwed up I just restored my backup image that I made before updating and all is well again on my end (I blocked the update for now) and I'm back running 22H2.

Mostly I posted as just an FYI type thing so you can maybe look into it and be ahead of things and possibly come up with some more workarounds for when 24H2 hits stable.

**EDIT** Forgot to mention, MS made the changes to the taskbar and system tray for 2 reasons.

1. to make room for copilot on the right hand side

2. To screw with 3rd party devs like you guys and stardock etc that have the balls to do what MS won't and allow us to customize things the way we want them rather than being forced into what MS wants us to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

24H2 would indicate that you're on the Insider Preview. That is such a long way off from coming up for release that it would be completely silly 'to look into it' and figure out fixes when the whole thing could change possibly several times more before MS are done - utter waste of time.

It's seriously time to ditch Windows and go with Linux. Personally, I hardly use Win online at all now. And even offline, I'll probably stop using it altogether within the next couple of years. Fed up with MS f*cking users about and violating users' privacy. Enough is enough. And I hardly need Win at all nowadays anyway - less than 10-15% of my workload and falling.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:54 am 

I have the opposite problem. After updating Windows today, my system tray, along with the icon that displayed the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi menu, has gone missing.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]