Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Outlook Becomes MS's Massively Invasive Data Harvester!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What it says on the tin. The most recent changes to Outlook make it an unbelievably extensive and invasive Data Harvester. Have a look at this Article on Proton's blog and ditch Outlook if you value your privacy and freedom and oppose total surveillance!

Jorge, you too ought to have a read, and then consider moving to a safer client such as Thunderbird.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Outlook Becomes MS's Massively Invasive Data Harvester!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:03 pm 

Thanks Nexter. I was thinking about giving it a try a couple of days ago, but I thought I better check out some reviews first. I'm happy that I waited.

Post subject: Re: Outlook Becomes MS's Massively Invasive Data Harvester!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:50 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nezbit wrote:
Thanks Nexter. I was thinking about giving it a try a couple of days ago, but I thought I better check out some reviews first. I'm happy that I waited.

Glad this grabbed your attention. :)

Outlook really is a total monster. If you have to use a client, have a look at Thunderbird Mail - it's multi-platform and free and open source software, with absolutely no spying of any kind. :D Personally, I prefer using mail on the web, using Proton Mail which is securely encoded with zero access to anyone but myself and no logging of any kind. Desktop clients are currently in beta but should see full release very shortly, but for me web is simpler and safer. Of course, I'm also behind Proton VPN and additionally use TOR Browser for all mail and the like.

For all private email I recently started insisting that people go over to Proton Mail themselves if they haven't got it already (all Proton apps are available in a free version) so that all our communications are automatically end to end encrypted, rather than having to give them passwords.

Anyway, stay safe and private. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]