Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Winstep Down (again)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:30 pm 

Uhh I was watching a YouTube video and it showed the nexus dock and added a link to the website. However when I went to the link it said there was a 503 server error. I tried refreshing the page and searching it up myself but every time it gave me the same error. Please write back and fi the issue as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Winstep Down (again)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you a spam bot? If not:

What Youtube video?

What is the link that gives the 503 Server Error?

Not to mention that the Winstep web site hasn't been down in ages, nor is it something that happens regularly.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:29 am 

This is very interesting. I haven't been able to access the Winstep web site for several days. The strange thing is that I have been able to access the forums. I believe the problem first appeared on the 14th. I just tried again and this is the result.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-16 182342.png
Screenshot 2024-02-16 182342.png [ 19.84 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:33 am 

I just checked on websitenotworking.com and here is the result.

Attachments:
Website not working.png
Website not working.png [ 63.79 KiB | Viewed 1441 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is indeed strange. I just tried it here with Firefox, Chrome and Edge (HTTP *and* HTTPS) and I get no error.

I can try rebooting the server to see if that fixes the issue. What browser are you using? Do you get the same error using HTTPS as well as HTTP ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, managed to reproduce it here with Firefox but only on my Android phone.

Rebooting the server to see if that fixes it, but I have a feeling it might actually be related to the location cookies (used to determine which currency to display, USD, EUR or GBP)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:44 am 

I tried Firefox and Edge. I also tried following a link from DuckDuckGo and Google, and just tried HTTPS and got the same result.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, rebooted the server, seems there is no change. Can you confirm from there?

The actual server error seems to be "Classic ASP Not Installed by Default on IIS 7.0 and above". I think I might have changed something in the web code that only runs if the location cookie has never been set or is no longer valid, and whatever it is requires classic ASP...?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:10 am 

It's working now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I figured out what it is (please try now and let me know). It is indeed related to the (absence) of the location cookie used to determine currency (when you visit the site for the first time or the cookie expires).

The site uses a 3rd party IP to country provider that is soon going to require HTTPS access instead of HTTP to get the info from their servers. I had changed the code to use HTTPS some time ago but since the cookies here are still active that part of the code never runs here and so I never noticed that trying to use HTTPS instead of HTTP would result in a server error.

Now I have to figure out a way to make HTTPS access work without a server error before the March deadline. Ouch.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:18 am 

Everything is working just fine now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks! The amazing part is that I made this HTTP to HTTPS change already some time ago (can't recall exactly when?) and so far nobody had complained! I guess they were all new users, and without access to the web site they had no email address to complain to either, so after several tries they probably just assumed the web site was down for good.

Wow. :shock:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:50 am 

Out of habit I always go to the main page first to check the "Latest News" and never had a problem.

The whole thing was very strange on this end. On the 14th a storm came through and our power went out while I was using my computer (the third time this winter). When the power came back on my system was screwed up. I had to reinstall from an old backup that didn't have Winstep Xtreme installed. I tried going to the Winstep website to download the latest version but the website wasn't working. Our DVR also stopped working properly and I had to reboot it. For the next 24 hours our internet and cable was slow, so I just attributed everything to the bad weather. Everything was back to normal today except the Winstep website still wasn't working. Fortunately I could still access the forums and came across this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your old backup did not have the location cookie set by the Winstep web site - so when you tried to access the Winstep web site again on your "brand new" PC, it tried to determine your location via HTTPS and failed with a Server Error.

I managed to determine that the change to HTTPS was made sometime between July 2023 and November 2023 (i.e. that is a long interval I know, but that's as accurate as I can be right now). At the very least the site has been like this for new users since last November. Ouch!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:24 am 

I actually tried to access the Winstep website through a link on DuckDuckGo, which is what I usually do. I then tried Google and got the same result. I didn't have a bookmark or cookies for Winstep on my computer because the backup I used was a clean install of the OS only, no software was installed. For some other strange reason my backup with everything installed didn't work properly, so I decided to try a clean install backup which is working fine. I just have to reinstall everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next