Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: "Elevated privileges" and UAC issue, after update - Agai
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 am 

Still it stays a problem, unbelievable.
How can it be that nextstart has not this problem but workshelf has?

:Moderator's note: - Are you serious, posting to a 7 year old thread? Moved to its own new thread. Original thread HERE :/Moderator's note: - nexter

Post subject: Re: "Elevated privileges" and UAC issue, after update
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mondriaan123 wrote:

What is unbelievable? That is an issue with YOUR system, not an issue with the Winstep application per se. You will need to fix your own security settings.

Mondriaan123 wrote:

Actually... NextSTART also has "this problem". The only difference is that NextSTART does NOT warn you at startup that it is running elevated and WorkShelf does.

Now, THAT is actually an oversight (and the only real bug, if you want to call it so). I'm adding the same warning to NextSTART for next release, so thanks for pointing that out.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:34 pm 

I have used winstep for years, the program has always caused problems, the cause is winstep because it "hooks" into the windows system, but I know it now, this is the last time I bought winstep, you have a lot too sassy mouth (Customer is King).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being a customer does not automatically give the right to have a sassy mouth and then expect others not to reply in kind lol The "Customer is king" fallacy only leads to entitled attitudes: here you are right if you are right and wrong if you are wrong.

I have no problems admitting actual issues in Winstep applications and will go out of my way to fix bugs as quickly as they are reported and I can reproduce them here - as you would know by reading other threads.

Besides, despite being extremely powerful, Winstep applications are just like any other applications in your system. They do not "hook" into Windows in any special way like you claim.

Again, despite how much you would love to blame the Winstep application itself, this particular issue is system specific. Thousands of users run Winstep Xtreme on normal Windows systems without this problem, how do you explain that?

Blaming the Winstep application will only prevent you from finding and fixing the actual cause, which is likely some mis-configuration in your system.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mondriaan123 wrote:

Posting to a 7 year old thread - that is unbelievable!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Being a customer does not automatically give the right to have a sassy mouth and then expect others not to reply in kind lol The "Customer is king" fallacy only leads to entitled attitudes: here you are right if you are right and wrong if you are wrong....

I have to wonder if he's just trolling, just a plonker, or perhaps even a potential spammer? :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Posting to a 7 year old thread - that is unbelievable!

I don't have a problem with him resurrecting a 7 year old thread regarding the same issue, what I do have a problem with is that having to go back 7 years to find a similar problem, my response back then plus the lack of interventions from other users should have given him a clue that the problem is not with the application itself but with something in his system.

Instead he chose to come out guns blazing, assuming the problem was with WorkShelf because NextSTART did not give him the same security alert prompt (something that I have already corrected for next release, ironically thanks to him) and then he didn't like my answer apparently because I didn't just roll over and die. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:23 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I completely agree, going back to a 7 year old thread to match his problem with no further comments since then is indeed the most absurd thing, and together with your comments should have told him that the real problem is his system.

LOL! 'Roll over and die' isn't something in either of our personalities. :D Coming out guns blazing is another thing that works for neither of us. As the old adage has it, 'As ye sow so shall ye reap', or put another way, 'as you shout into a canyon so the echo returns'. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]