Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Reserved screen area issues
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:52 pm 

Using the newest versions of Full Pack NS 3.3 and WS 1.80 Under Win2K SP 4.

I have dual monitors 1280 x 1024 each with Monitor 1 using a full width workshelf docked to the top and a startbar docked full width to the top of monitor 2.

If I enable reseverd screen are on workshelf (Monitor 1) and don't enable it in NS it works as expected and there is no reserved screen area on monitor 2 but the height of the collapsed shelf is preserved aong with the bottom Windows reserved area.

If I enable reserved screen area in NextStart and set a height like the startbar width it changes the width on monitor 1 but has no effect on Monitor 2. In that way there can never be reserved area on monitor 2. It seems while the settings allow you to set the bar to monitor 1 the reserved screen area can not deal with a second monitor. I guess this may be "not a feature" vs. a real bug.

Also is there a way to remove the Windows reserved area at the bottom of Monitor 1. I can't seem to eliminate it when maximize but can manually resize into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not a bug but a Windows limitation: Windows does not allow you to reserve a screen area on anything other than monitor 1.

As for the Windows reserved area at the bottom, make the Windows taskbar visible (Disable NS Task Management), rigth click on it, select Properties and in the Taskbar tab disable the 'Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows' option.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:28 pm 
Thanks Jorge.

I thought something like "not a feature" might be the case. Up to now I was using the Matrox driver option to make windows think it's just one monitor, but that option presents other minor problems as well. Not all software really supports dual monitors perfect either. So for now 2 seems better for more applications than one giant stretched monitor.

Making two monitors does make Winstep dock the taskbar and workshelf a bit tighter than just locking it in place. It also prevents a lot of apps from popping up the window message split between the tow monitors (what a pain<g>).

The advice about the windows reserved screen area at the bottom of course does work - thanks a lot.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]