Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Can the TitleBar on Winstep menus be removed or hidden?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:03 pm 

Is it possible to remove or completely hide the Titlebar from Winstep Menus (either as a whole or individually - preferably individually)? The reason I ask is that it looks out of place on most horizontal menus unless it is placed along the side.

Thanks very much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Titlebar Skinning Preferences (in the Menu Preferences tab) window allows you to configure how the titlebars of your menus will look:

The Vertical Menu Titlebar Height defines the size, in pixels, of the titlebar of your vertical menus. This number must not be greater than 99. If it is set to 0 then the menu will have no titlebar, just like the menus in Windows. Horizontal Menu Titlebar Height, on the other hand, is the vertical height of the titlebar for horizontal menus - 0 in this case means that horizontal menus will have the same titlebar height of vertical menus. This setting enables you to have different titlebar bitmaps for menus in horizontal and vertical mode, each with its own height.

Remember that these are all per theme settings.

What I don't really understand is your 'it looks out of place on most horizontal menus unless it is placed along the side' phrase. When a menu is horizontal, the titlebar is always placed along the left side (just before the menu buttons), UNLESS the skinner specified a vertical titlebar in which the titlebar of the vertical menu shows up on the left and on top of the menu when the menu is rotated into horizontal mode.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:28 pm 

Thanks once again! This did exactly what I was hoping. What I had meant about it looking out of place is that when the titlebar appears on the left of the horizontal menu it fits the height of the menu and such but would have gaps, etc. because it was built to be on top of a vertical menu - it didn't keep the full continuity of the bar. So what I tried was changing the Position in the Menu Preferences - Titlebar Skinning Preferences to be on the side so that when the menu was horizontal the titlebar would appear on top, and this looked better. I have to admit I didn't originally touch the Titlebar Metrics (what you mentioned) for fear I would completely screw it up.

Thanks for your help...appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skinning is, without a doubt, the most hard part of NextSTART to learn simply because of the huge amount of different settings and options. On the other hand, it's preciselly this that gives NextSTART theming such an incredible flexibility and allows you to create such a wide range of completely individual themes.

New skinners should not be afraid to experiment (after all it's through experimentation - more than by reading a User Guide, irrespective of how well written it is - that you get that 'Ah-ah! So this is what it does!' feeling).

The main reason people should not be afraid to experiment in NextSTART is because changes to a theme are NOT made permanent until you save/update the theme through the Theme Management panel. If, while experimenting, you find yourself cornered and want to revert back to the original theme, all you have to do is go to the Theme Management panel in NextSTART Preferences and reload the theme. Presto!

Another thing you can do is to manually Backup NextSTART settings as you go along making your changes - this would make it work as a kind of Undo function. Botch it up and all you have to do is Restore to the last saved session.

Finally, you also have the Cancel button in NextSTART Preferences. This will revert any changes made to the settings that existed the last time you clicked on the OK button.

Ah, note that we also have a step-by-step skinning tutorial in the Help section of the Winstep web site.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]