Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Module Development (New User's First Post)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:41 pm 

Hello Winsteppers,

This is my first forum post as I have recently purchased Winstep. I tried it out once a few years ago and liked it but was too poor at the time to justify a software purchase. :oops: I tried it again recently and decided I must have it. It is one of the few applications that I have purchased and didn't decide to replace with some kind of freeware equivalent. I'm totally glad that I did, I have been enjoying it very much. Thanks for the great product! I do have one issue I would like to address, if it has been discussed before please pardon my repetition. I looked through the forums and didn't find anything that directly echoed my issue.

My only lament with the product is one that I imagine has been expressed before; the small number of available modules. Don't get me wrong, this won't turn into a whiny, "when will we see new modules yadda, yadda yadda" type of post. I realize that there are other priorities when developing an application like this. Stability, bug fixes and new over all functionality must have a higher priority over modules. Heck, I don't want to know what kind of nightmare it was trying to get Vista compatible.

Rather than complain about the lack of modules, I have a question (and or) suggestion concerning a possible direction for module development. Have the powers that be at Winstep considered opening up module development to the community at large (like DesktopX, AveDesk, etc)? This is a nice way to increase the number of modules, create a sense of community involvement in the development of Winstep. The addition of user created modules might also serve to draw new potential users to the product.

Now I realize there may be something about the technology behind modules not conducive to casual user development or there may be an internal strategic decision agaist this sort of thing. I just wanted to bring it up and see what the people at Winstep thought about the idea.

That being said, how many Winstep users would experiment with Module development should the feature be available?

Thanks,

The Kingsmob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi!

Quote:
opening up module development to the community at large

That can be a big can of worms. :D

Anyway, modules have indeed taken a backplace in the grand scheme of things for the time being, but there are many new ones currently in the back burner. Unfortunately there were and are other things that had to be done first: making Winstep Xtreme 100% functional under Windows Vista (accomplished in 8.2) for one, plus simplifying/modernizing the User Interface and opening the door to non-English versions of Winstep Xtreme.

Once that is out of the way, there will be a flood of new modules and other very exciting new features, I promise. Maybe it will all even happen on the same release. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:09 pm 

winstep wrote:
Hi!

Quote:
opening up module development to the community at large

That can be a big can of worms. :D

Absolutely. One of the downsides of DesktopX is the number of sub-par objects and widgets. You also run the risk of having a million calendars and CPU meters and nothing else interesting. From the point of view of quality control, I can totally see the point.

Quote:
making Winstep Xtreme 100% functional under Windows Vista (accomplished in 8.2) for one, plus simplifying/modernizing the User Interface and opening the door to non-English versions of Winstep Xtreme.

Understood and a very reasonable approach to production.

Quote:
Once that is out of the way, there will be a flood of new modules and other very exciting new features, I promise. Maybe it will all even happen on the same release. :D

Like I said, I ain't complaining. I think you're doing an amzing job. I would rater wait for new modules than sacrifice the high level of quality being put into Winstep.

Just keep at it,it's a great application!

Thanks,
The Kingsmob

Post subject: Re: Module Development (New User's First Post)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 am 

I wish there was module development. I am a coder and would love to be able to code my own temp monitoring widget for my PC for overclocking and also my GPU. If the owner is interested in my services I'd love to create such a module!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]