Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Cannot open programs from Workshelf, Dock or Start button
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:57 pm 

Just installed Ver 8.2 (with update) - When I click on any program icon, I get an error dialog box that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

This happens for ALL programs that run fine from exe. files or shortcuts without any Winstep Xtreme components running. Same problem in all Winstep Xtreme modules - their own icons work but no external programs will start.

I am logged in as Administrator and have registered Winstep.

I searched the forum and found nothing on this problem/error. Has anyone else had this happen & what is the fix? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That definitely sounds like some kind of permissions problem, not directly related to Winstep Xtreme. First thing you should do is a Google search for the term 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item' - you will find a lot of entries (none of them related to Winstep, of course) suggesting this is a more common occurence than it appears at first sight.

Personaly, it's the first time I've heard of it, though. Couple of questions:

1 - What Windows version are you running?

2 - You mentioned an update to Xtreme 8.2. What version were you using previously and did it work properly then?

3 - If the answer to the above question is affirmitive, are you sure Winstep Xtreme was the ONLY thing you changed in the mean time?

4 - Maybe it's an owership or permissions problem with the Winstep Xtreme executables themselves? Have you tried right clicking on 'Workshelf.exe' and running it via 'Run As'?

5-What does the security tab for WorkShelf.exe and NextSTART.exe properties say?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another suggestion: go to add/remove windows components and see if you have a 'Internet Explorer Enhanced Security' component listed. Try un-installing it if so.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:07 pm 

I have the same problem. None of the dock items work and I get the subject message. I can get the "Program" dock items to work by selecting "Run as another user" in the item properties, but this requires selecting the "Other user", which is me, and entering a password. Recycler etc. don't have that option. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, this is obviously not a Winstep Xtreme problem per se, and I'm not an expert on file/user permissions...

Maybe it has something to do on WHO has ownership of the Winstep Xtreme program files (e.g. which user was Winstep Xtreme installed under, or something like that).

Not sure I can help you much beyond this, sorry... :cry:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]