Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: About WorkShelf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 am 

[quote="So, please tell me, step by step, exactly HOW you are placing a URL into WorkShelf. [/quote]

Well, I am not too Good at Explainng "step by step" but here goes.

I run WinXtreme, It is workshelf that is frozen. i click on a blank space in WS. Made a shelf for URL's. I add an item "url insert" I paste the url into the address of the url. I then click on "change icon" on the same window as where I put the url I pasted in

that is when EVERYTHING freezes up. The last time I tried it about 6 hours ago the Nextstart also froze.

Like I said before. I ran windows task manager. it said that "Workshelf" was not responding. Everything else was running including "nextstart" according to WTM even tho it would make a beep everytime I clicked on either the Ns or Ws?

After I uninstalled WinXtreme and cleaned out my Registry completely and Re-installed WXT the Icon thingy worked fine for about an hour. After that is when it started freezing up on me.

I was esspecially careful Not to install anything else nor did i run anything but a Game "Zuma".

Played it for about an hour while Workshelf was in memory , in fact I ran it from WS . After the game I then tried to change the Icon like I said before and it froze on me. It didn't even get to the Icon window. It froze as soon as I clicked "change Icon".

I hope the above gives you enough info that you can help. If it does'nt then I will try again.

OH, I forgot to tell you as long as I don''t try to change Icons then it works
perfect on everything else that I have tried.

Thanks a Bunch
3flash :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the detailed explanation. :D

Another couple of questions:

1 - Does this only happen with URL items? i.e.; Can you change the icons of other items without WorkShelf ever freezing?

2 - Do you have a permanent Internet connection?

3 - Are you working on a single computer or are you connected to a LAN? If the later, are you referencing anything on WorkShelf that might be on a remote computer? If the remote computer is unavailable, WorkShelf might freeze until the connection times off.

4 - There is another way to customize icons without having to go through the Change Icon dialog: open the folder where the icon is in an Explorer window and drag & drop the ICO or PNG file directly on top of the item. Does this also freeze WorkShelf?

Thanks,

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:34 pm 

Jorge, sorry to butt in, but it sounds a lot like 3flash is seeing something very much like the problem I had with the icon browse window being hidden under the parent dialog. If it is, if 3flash can do the same thing again (start WS so it's working again, then editing any icon, and when WS freezes, double-click the WS systray icon, and the icon browser should magically appear.

That doesn't explain why the application is listed as "not responding" in the task list, though, so I'm probably way off target. And like they say, when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! :o

Profile WWW 

Post subject: I Did Everything! I think?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:38 am 

Sorry for the Late reply. I was checking everyday but didn't goto the 2nd page and I missed your post. To think I ran a BBS for 14 years and have ran every type of Forum you can think of on the net for the past 10 years....Stupid me. Guess I am getting old(er) :lol:

winstep wrote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. :D

Another couple of questions:

1 - Does this only happen with URL items? i.e.; Can you change the icons of other items without WorkShelf ever freezing?

Ok, this happens in all cases where I click the "change Icon"

Quote:
2 - Do you have a permanent Internet connection?

Nope, I am on dial-up connection. High Speed is not available where I live at.

Quote:
3 - Are you working on a single computer or are you connected to a LAN? If the later, are you referencing anything on WorkShelf that might be on a remote computer? If the remote computer is unavailable, WorkShelf might freeze until the connection times off.

Yes, I have a network with my son. Only his computer is connected. However, at the time I was changing Icons I had the Network disabled.
Nothing on the other computer was I trying to access. Everything was on my computer. This happens if I am connected to the internet or not.

Quote:
4 - There is another way to customize icons without having to go through the Change Icon dialog: open the folder where the icon is in an Explorer window and drag & drop the ICO or PNG file directly on top of the item. Does this also freeze WorkShelf?

Ok, Rather a long story on that part, grin!

Opera browser. Don't work on either the dragging the URL to the WS. Didn't try the dragging the Icon after the URL didn't work.

So I loaded up Firefox.

Worked Great. Draging the URL and also dragging the Icon.
still freezes up when I click the "change Icon" tho.

I favor Opera but after all this happens I am leaning towards firefox. At least I can get the URL and Icons where I want them at.

IE? is out of the Question. I would Sell my computer if I had to use IE? !! any of them. Needless to say I don't like nor do I use IE5,6 or 7.

Also for you info. I don't use ANY type of messengers either. And I am NOT on AOL....America OFF Line !!:lol:

[Notice:]
for PCpete:

I tried double clicking on the WS icon as well as everything else and it only Beeped like it did when I clicked on the Change Icon window.
Good idea but didn't work. Thanks for the help tho. I do appreicate Everything everyone is doing for me. Oh yea, I took my virus checker and firewall out of memory also. That didn't help either.

Another thing that may be of interest to you and give you an idea of what is happening. When I click on the Icon the WS pops up which it won't let me min. it either. All the Stardocks sidebar works when the Icon window freezes up. The Meters (cpu,internet (in & out) works ! Only the window for the Change Icon and as I said before it don't get to the "change Icon" window. it stuck where I first click the "change icon"?

Hope this Helps. Will keep trying as I don't have sense enough to give up! :lol:

Thanks,
3flash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm, you know, PCPete is actually right. What threw me off was that your complain only mentioned URL items.

The problem (which has already been fixed) is that your shelf is set to Always On Top. There is a bug in the z-order of the Icon Browser dialog that makes it pop up BEHIND (therefore hidden by) the Item Properties dialog as a Modal window. This causes the problems you've mentioned.

The solution, for now and until the next release, is to either set the Shelf to normal Z-order or use drag & drop exclusively to customize the shelf icons. Sorry. :oops:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 pm 

winstep wrote:
Hmmm, you know, PCPete is actually right.

WH Wh Whw whwhwhwhwhaat? I was right? About something? WOO HOO!

winstep wrote:
The problem (which has already been fixed) is that your shelf is set to Always On Top. There is a bug in the z-order of the Icon Browser dialog that makes it pop up BEHIND (therefore hidden by) the Item Properties dialog as a Modal window. This causes the problems you've mentioned.

The solution, for now and until the next release, is to either set the Shelf to normal Z-order or use drag & drop exclusively to customize the shelf icons. Sorry. :oops:

Jorge, I actually tried to reset the WS shelf z-order to "normal" (WS Shelf preferences, 'Show Shelf In Normal Plane', but with all Modules still set to "Show On Top"), and I still can't see the icon dialog. Maybe it's a combo bug with our video drivers and "wierd" WS selections?

I'm using a Radeon 1600XT x64 driver rev 8.432..., Catalyst ver 7.11

..oops, forgot to say, 3flash, the fact that the WS preference dialog "dings" at you means there is another modal form associated with the app that has focus, so it's definitely a case of "it's there, but you can't see it...". Make sure the WS preferences dialog is NOT visible when you go to edit the icon, or you will get a "locked" application. Just leave WS in the systray, then edit your icon, when the dialog fails to appear, THEN double-click the WS icon in the systray, I promise it will show the hidden icon dialog. It's just a bit of a fiddle when the modal forms gets lost...
HTH! :?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: It worked like a Charm !
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:01 pm 

winstep wrote:
Hmmm, you know, PCPete is actually right. What threw me off was that your complain only mentioned URL items.

It worked Perfectly!!! Thanks to Pc Pete for bringing up the Idea!! Also thanks to Winstep for explaining it where a Dummy like me could understand it!

Now, You guys caused me all kinds of Work!!! Grin. I don't have an excuse to watch TV anymore. Have to get busy with all the URL links and the Icons and put them in WS !!

Bottom Line. I got a Ton of things to learn about all these programs. I guess my next complaint will be I can't learn Fast enough!!! :lol:

Thanks Again you guys
3flash

Post subject: Nexus quality
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:22 pm 

Recently I stumbled across Rocketdock (http://rocketdock.com/) and was surprised to note the superior interface as compared to Nexus: 1) the animated "slide" appearance of the dock is so smooth; and 2) as I pan across the icons, the magnification feature causes no "shakiness" of the icons and the dock itself. I was surprised that this free app was superior in these things. There are two important areas where Rocketdock is lacking however: 1) you can't have multiple docks; and 2) it does not support submenus or subdocks, whatever you call them.

Partly for these reasons (and partly because I always try to keep my RAM consumption down and since the Shelf is redundant to me, it was an unnecessary resource use), I actually tried getting by without Winstep for a week or so, using just RocketDock and plain old Window toolbars customized to give me access to my most-used folders (in lieu of NextStart's nicely customizable menus). In the end I decided I was too addicted to the menus to give them up.

Any chance of improvements in these areas? Specifically: 1) improved Nexus optics/behaviour and; 2) ability to shut down the Shelf, as opposed to just making it invisible?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nexus quality
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:09 pm 

stein290864 wrote:
Recently I stumbled across Rocketdock (http://rocketdock.com/) and was surprised to note the superior interface as compared to Nexus: 1) the animated "slide" appearance of the dock is so smooth; and 2) as I pan across the icons, the magnification feature causes no "shakiness" of the icons and the dock itself. I was surprised that this free app was superior in these things. There are two important areas where Rocketdock is lacking however: 1) you can't have multiple docks; and 2) it does not support submenus or subdocks, whatever you call them.

Partly for these reasons (and partly because I always try to keep my RAM consumption down and since the Shelf is redundant to me, it was an unnecessary resource use), I actually tried getting by without Winstep for a week or so, using just RocketDock and plain old Window toolbars customized to give me access to my most-used folders (in lieu of NextStart's nicely customizable menus). In the end I decided I was too addicted to the menus to give them up.

Any chance of improvements in these areas? Specifically: 1) improved Nexus optics/behaviour and; 2) ability to shut down the Shelf, as opposed to just making it invisible?

Thanks!

There will be updates coming out with a few error corrections. In fact, correct me if I am wrong but I suspect he is working on an update right now as I type.

Winstep is like me!! He is too old to give up. He has two really Great Programs. And look at it this way, Microsoft Windows has been out decades and is STILL full of errors. Winstep has not been out no where near as Long as M.W.!!

He is an Old Dos Man just like myself. If I had a choice I would be using Plain Old Dos right now!!

Hang in there as Rome wasn't build in a day!! It will come.

Have a Great Day
3flash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

3flash wrote:
Quote:
correct me if I am wrong but I suspect he is working on an update right now as I type.

And so I am. Winstep Xtreme 8.5 private beta 3 was released yesterday on the Beta Discussion forums.

stein290864 wrote:
Quote:
1) improved Nexus optics/behaviour and; 2) ability to shut down the Shelf, as opposed to just making it invisible?

I've been meaning to reply to your post ever since you wrote it, but, being a man of action :wink: , I wanted to have something palpable out before doing so.

1 - With Xtreme 8.5, the magnification effect is now as fast as the system supports it. What CPU do you have on your system, by the way?

2 - Winstep Xtreme 8.5 now allows you to disable the shelf - all resources used by it are returned to the system when you do that.

Quote:
1) the animated "slide" appearance of the dock is so smooth

You mean that period where it is zooming in and out? Xtreme 8.5 has a new setting to control the zoom in/out animation: five speeds, from 'Very Smooth' to 'Very Fast'.

Quote:
2) as I pan across the icons, the magnification feature causes no "shakiness" of the icons and the dock itself.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 'shakiness' only happens when you're mousing over the last icon. I think it's due to rounding errors, but I'm still working on it.

Quote:
In the end I decided I was too addicted to the menus to give them up.

Ah-ah! Function over form wins out in the end! :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:13 pm 

Quote:
STEIN: "... improved Nexus optics/behaviour and; 2) ability to shut down the Shelf, as opposed to just making it invisible?"

JORGE: With Xtreme 8.5, the magnification effect is now as fast as the system supports it. What CPU do you have on your system, by the way?

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop, 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M, 1GB Ram. Nice but not exceptional.

Quote:
JORGE: Winstep Xtreme 8.5 now allows you to disable the shelf - all resources used by it are returned to the system when you do that.

Great. I'll look for any impact that may have.

Quote:
STEIN: "... the animated "slide" appearance of the (RocketDock) dock is so smooth (as compared to Nexus)."

JORGE: You mean that period where it is zooming in and out? Xtreme 8.5 has a new setting to control the zoom in/out animation: five speeds, from 'Very Smooth' to 'Very Fast'.

No, I mean when the dock is uncollapsing and collapsing, that appearance / disappearance is totally sudden, as compared to the RocketDock slide-in.

Quote:
STEIN: "... as I pan across the icons in RocketDock, the magnification feature causes no "shakiness" of the icons and the dock itself (as compared to Nexus)."

JORGE: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that 'shakiness' only happens when you're mousing over the last icon. I think it's due to rounding errors, but I'm still working on it.

Actually that minor shakiness occurs as I pan across the whole dock and activate the magnification, regardless of theme used, or how occupied my RAM is. I never noticed this shakiness until I tried RocketDock and saw how smooth it is during that pan / magnification movement.

As you say, function over form, but to me it's a close race :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Actually that minor shakiness occurs as I pan across the whole dock and activate the magnification

I've been working on the dock magnification algorithm all day today, and I think basically all the 'shakiness' has now been eliminated. If what you meant is similar to what is described in THIS post, then the dock no longer does that. Stay tuned for the next private beta release and then please let me know if I'm right. :D

Quote:
No, I mean when the dock is uncollapsing and collapsing, that appearance / disappearance is totally sudden, as compared to the RocketDock slide-in.

Ahhhhh... Actually collapsing/un-collapsing speed is controled by the 'Animation Speed' setting in Global Preferences (give it a try, and make sure animations are not disabled either), but you're right, even when set to the slowest setting (rightmost arrow) NeXuS still collapses/uncollapses too fast.

The problem is that the speed is actually not controled by a timer, so the faster the system, the faster the dock collapses. I'll fix that for the next beta too.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:

As promised, there is a brand new beta of Xtreme 8.6 available in the Beta Forums area that completely addresses this issue - it also vastly improves the smoothness of the shelf collapse/uncollapse animation as well as menu opening animations. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:40 am 

Hi Jorge & forum,

just registered to add my 2 cts to this issue which doesn't seem to be resolved to date.

Since a picture says more than a thousand words, see below comparison between RocketDock (top) and Nexus (bottom) when sliding in from a screen edge, and at the same time magnifying some of the icons.

RocketDock (top) does both things at the same time (sliding, and magnifying already DURING the sliding motion) -- while Nexus (bottom) first slides in completely, and only then starts magnifying, which gives it's motion the kind of "shakiness" that @stein has been referring to.

Hth to make Nexus the true king of all Docks ;)

Cheers David.P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gotcha! Nice explanation. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2