Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 8.2 problems
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:31 am 

Jorge, I've noticed a couple of minor issues installing 8.2 clean.

Some of the desktop modules don't appear onscreen until the "preview" has been applied more than once. Of course, that depends on the theme, but changing the default theme (Aero) to Atmospherica, the net meter module just doesn't appear on the desktop (even with "show all on desktop" checked, etc) until the focus is switched away from the module config page and back again, then it appears halfway off the screen.

I've also found that while the Nexus context menu (Properties) dialog now appears at the right place (thanks so much for fixing that!), when I click on the "Change Icon" button in that dialog, the browse window appears underneath the properties dialog, and I can't get focus back unless I bring up the Workshelf config dialog.

Then choosing a file (say, \Windows\System32\Shell32.dll) and clicking "open" results in another browse window opening immediately. That one closes eventually and the browse can begin normally.

Then I noted that with the WS config dialog still up, when I apply the settings to the Nexus item I was just configuring, right-clicking on the Next Nexus 8) icon results in the WS dialog being painted blank - the tab icons are there, but the dialog goes just.. blank, and stays that way until I finish editing the Nexus item, and manually "wake up" the WS dialog.

Ah crap... now I've got the same hidden "change icon" browse dialog lockout, and because the WS dialog was already visible, the whole WS system is locked. I'll try and find out if there's something silly I've set, once I've killed the WS process and restarted. Watch this space...
[UPDATE]
Nope, the WS dialog and settings are definitely "always on top" for all the WS shelves, modules, and nexus docks, and the change icon dialog always appears below the properties editor, no matter where I place the editor. And the WS "blankout" still happens every time I try to edit any Nexus item. Maybe there's something hanging over from the last WS/NS removal (I did manually remove all program folders and the registry entries too).
Here's the image I get... (fingers crossed my website hosting keeps working)...
OK... So my current method of updating Nexus items is:
1. Make sure WS config window is not open
2. Drag anything onto the dock
3. Right-click the new item, pick 'Properties'
4. Edit text properties
5. Click "Change Icon" (dialog loses focus, no browse dialog visible)
6. Doubleclick WS in system tray (now the browse dialog is visible, but I can't close the main WS dialog until the browse dialog is closed first)
7. Browse to shell32.dll
8. Click "Open"
9. New browse dialog appears, click "Open" a second time
10. Select icon, click apply
11. Save properties.
12. Close WS config

If I miss step 12, when I next try to edit a Nexus item and a browse dialog is hidden, I can't do anything in WS - all shelves, links, docks, and icons have no focus and the only way out is to kill the process.

I hope this rings a bell. Sorry about the long post.
- Oh, and I've now confirmed that I always get two browse prompts no matter what type of icon file I try to open, so it's not just an issue with shell32.dll.
[/UPDATE]

Last edited by PC Pete on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:10 am 

I've also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any keybinding to any of the dialogs - so spacebar doesn't press the default button, esc doesn't do anything either. Normally, I expect it to cancel the currently focused control's state, whatever that is, or else to close the dialog with the same effect as if Cancel had been pressed. This makes it impossible to close or navigate any hidden dialogs or modal windows using the keyboard.

Maybe it's just the x64 system that's doing all this - has anyone else noticed if keystrokes work in the Nexus property dialogs?

If we could get the key bindings to work, that would be an acceptable workaround to the hidden dialog issue.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:20 am 

Oops. I just accidentally dragged a program link onto a Nexus dock placeholder while some other (??) dialog was open, and I got a Runtime 401 error (Can't show modal form when non-modal form is displayed), and all Nexus docks disappeared. WS also died, leaving the dragged link as a 'ghost' on the desktop.
I also can't seem to restart WS or NS. I'll reboot and see if that helps.
... ah doublecrap. I'm recording in a program I opened with WS, and that's what's stopping the WS process from shutting down.
That's actually good news, I guess - that's a pretty tough error to recover from, and the fact that the spawned process stays alive says a lot for WS! :oops:
I lost a half hour's worth of nexus item edits, but nothing worse than that. Phew!
As long as I keep remembering to
a) close the WS config dialog before starting to edit any properties, and
b) Shut down and restart WS every few minutes so I don't lose any configs, things are going well. 55 link items edited, 70 to go...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 am 

And unfortunately, the x86 problem still happens with all links dragged to shelves or docks.
The problem is that applications whose path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Path\Folder gets changed in the "Starts In" edit control to be C:\Program Files\Path\Folder, but only when they're dragged - if I hand edit an item in the properties editor with an x86 path, the "start in" text does reflect that change. So we're almost fixed!

The same problem occurs as before for MMC snapins too, I have to edit the filename to be C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe, and hand edit the current filename to the arguments edit box. Then it all works as expected. But again the behaviour of the Starts In is much more flexible and doesn't need to be hand edited.

I'm not yet at the stage of testing to see if the hidden exes in the system32 folder also work now...

I have noticed that the browse behaviour doesn't actually change to the correct folder - it always defaults to the last "successful" browse, and if it's the first time the browse has occurred, that defaults to Winstep.

So, for example, if my properties entry for icon is C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\Procmon.exe (which does exist), when I click the browse icon button (and open the WS config dialog so the browse dialog is now visible), the first time I click the browse button in the Icon Browser, although the path in the edit control says the correct path, what opens up in the open dialog is the Winstep install path, with the correct exe name (which of course doesn't exist in that path). No big deal, but it's time consuming...

[EDIT] Actually, I was wrong. The original link file lists the properties as C:\Program Files\SysInternals\Procmon.exe (since it's an x64 executable), but when I drag that link onto a nexus item, the properties are actually set to have the filename showing the (x86) modifier, while the "start in" path starts off showing the non-x86 path (which is correct), but immediately gets modified as soon as I hand-edit the filename edit text.
And the icon path stays incorrect, although hand-editing the filename gets reflected in the Starts In box, as described. So at least I've figured the workaround... I'm trying not to have to browse for icons (which only works for commercial 32-bit apps at the moment)
[/EDIT]

BTW, if I select a previous exe or dll in the Workshelf Browser dialog's filename combo, that does get opened OK, after being prompted twice, of course. Interestingly, if I choose to cancel the browse, I have to cancel twice also.

I wish I'd tested 8.2 before now. I'm really sorry about all the bug reports...

Boy this is a busy day. :lol:
Damn and blast. I thought I was sooooo clever, I didn't need to shut down WS every 10 minutes, did I? Bzzzzt. Another 40 minutes' worth of work down the drain. Sigh. :evil:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:42 am 

....and.....we're....CLEAR! Woo Hoo!
All backed up, all saved, all exported, all zipped, Allah forbid I should go through that again. Man. Now comes the hard part... fixin... :roll:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:00 am 

Have you ever had one of those days? I'm having one right now.

I can't seem to get the Nexus docks to react to anything (regardless of activation type set in the dock's preferences) unless the mouse edge bump is enabled for the workshelf main shelf. If I turn that setting off (which I want to, since I don't use WS at all), none of the docks respond to anything.

So the workaround is to put the workshelf on the bottom, but not invisible (because when it is set to 100% transparency when inactive, the docks also fail to activate), so I'm trying to find a good place on the desktop to put the damn WS shelf so it doesn't keep getting activated when I bump a screen edge or anything like that.

I need a strong drink and a good woman. Or a strong woman and a good drink. Or something. My brain hurts. Goodnight all.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh mine! You've been busy... it will take a while to read all that. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm 

I think you'll like chapter 4 the best, but the plot line is a bit thin... :)

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
when I click on the "Change Icon" button in that dialog, the browse window appears underneath the properties dialog, and I can't get focus back unless I bring up the Workshelf config dialog.

Fixed! I also fixed other cases where something like this could happen with other dialogs (Font Browser, etc...).

This happens because your dock is set to 'Always on top', therefore any subsequent dialog windows must also be set to 'Always on top' in order to prevent the dialog from popping up behind the dock. In this case, some of the dialogs were not following this rule and would be displayed on the normal z-order, resulting in them appearing behind the parent dialog.

Quote:
clicking "open" results in another browse window opening immediately.

Fixed!

Quote:
when I apply the settings to the Nexus item I was just configuring, right-clicking on the Next Nexus icon results in the WS dialog being painted blank

Fixed!

Item Properties dialogs, etc, are 'modal' windows, i.e.; when one of them is open, all the other windows in the application are temporarily disabled to prevent de-synchronization issues. If you attempt to open a non-modal window (like WorkShelf Preferences) when a modal window is open, you get an error. In this particular case the error is trapped (i.e. does not cause the program to cease to function) but it does cause the settings window within the main MDI Preferences window not to display.

Besides fixing this bug, I now also prevent the Preferences window from opening via the systray icon if a modal window is currently open.

Quote:
I've also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any keybinding to any of the dialogs - so spacebar doesn't press the default button, esc doesn't do anything either.

All the features you mention must be explicitily coded in. Unfortunately the NeXT-style controls do not allow for keyboard navigation, therefore keyboard handling for dialog windows was never a priority. This will all be fixed 'soon' when the whole GUI is revamped and the special NeXT style controls replaced with standard Windows controls.

Quote:
I just accidentally dragged a program link onto a Nexus dock placeholder while some other (??) dialog was open, and I got a Runtime 401 error

Good catch! Fixed, I now disable drop operations if a modal window is currently open. This could potentially corrupt your dock/shelf/NextSTART menu!

Quote:
And unfortunately, the x86 problem still happens with all links dragged to shelves or docks.

Hard to figure out what is happening without getting my hands on a 64 bit version of XP or Vista, sorry. :cry:

Quote:
I have noticed that the browse behaviour doesn't actually change to the correct folder - it always defaults to the last "successful" browse

Actually this is standard behavior. Same thing happens with Windows/other applications file browsing dialogs.

Quote:
I wish I'd tested 8.2 before now.

Me too! lol

Quote:
I can't seem to get the Nexus docks to react to anything (regardless of activation type set in the dock's preferences) unless the mouse edge bump is enabled for the workshelf main shelf. If I turn that setting off (which I want to, since I don't use WS at all), none of the docks respond to anything.

Fixed! In the old shelf-only times, that setting was primarily used to prevent an edge bump from activating WorkShelf when running a full screen game. Now full screen games are automatically detected, but that setting was still being used to prevent any form of activation.

Thanks for all that hard work finding bugs! :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 am 

You really must have no life, Jorge. :shock:

Thanks so much for attending to the blips. And again, sorry about the pages and pages and pages...etc of writing. I'm so glad you got the core issues identified so quickly!

So... can I get a copy of the fixed WS/NS to test? Or will this go through a beta phase and I can join in then?

BTW, I understand a little some of the problems with coding nonstandard controls and getting them to behave "normally". Even though I don't code Windows "naked" :lol: , I use "wrapped" and .NET controls, and my stuff is simple single-instance SDI-style apps, it can be a pain in the compiler to make sure keystrokes and WM_paint messages and modal windows all behave themselves. It sounds like the "new, improved, greenhouse-friendly" UI will be a lot of fun to test! :twisted:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 am 

Oh, you're gonna like this...

I've been playing around with the clock module's time display and announcement. It's currently 12:24PM (i.e. 24 minutes past midday), and when I get the voice to tell me the time, she says its "......twenty four". Just that. 24. It was driving me nuts.

Then I remembered the military time setting - and sure enough, when military time is enabled, and the "oclock" and "pm" notifications are turned off, the voice settings get confused between 0 o'clock and 12 o'clock. So there does seem to be a minor bug there.

So I sat down to write this update, and I was trying to double-check my facts, and suddenly all the mouse-over times were showing up wrong - like, 10:15 PM, and 4:32AM, and I spent a good two minutes checking the atomic time, the clock module settings, system time settings... Then I slowly realised that the clock is in the monitor where my mail client lives. And the clock is smack on top of the date/time column of my incoming mail, and I have just disabled mousovers. So I was reading the flybys as though they were from the clock module, not the damn email client.

I'm generally smarter than a box of rocks. But not much. :oops:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AHAHAHA! :D Yeah, I've had days like those, hehe :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, forgot to reply the the message above...

Quote:
So... can I get a copy of the fixed WS/NS to test?

As soon as I have something ready for public consumption I'll make a beta available... for now I'm still busy changing the way in-shelf and in-dock modules are drawn in order to make them compatible with the new icon reflection feature - not as easy as it sounds. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Another Problem with Version 8.2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:11 pm 

I am running a Dell 3.2 gightz with 1 gig of ram. I got WinXtreme about 2 weeks ago.
I found out about the update two days ago. I downloaded it and installed it.
When I put a URL shelf and then try to put a URL in there it goes in just fine but don't show up as there is no Icon. I then try to put a Icon in with the Icon changer that is build into workshelf. Then Everything freezes up. I can't close WS nor can I close the change Icon window.
Windows task manager says that everything is responding except WS ! My cusor still moves. Nexus works.
I have Uninstalled WinXtreme and put everything back in. Still WS Freezes up everytime I try to put in a Icon for the URL I have put in!!

Any Idea's. I have tried everything I know of. Been in computers for 30 years. Repair them also.

If anyone has any idea's I can try? I would greatly appreiate it very much.

p.s. I have also Removed everything out of memory that is possible and keep my computer running. That didn't help either.

I sure hope an Update is planned for the near future as I would hate to quit running WinXtreme altogether!!

Thanks in advance
3flash :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I just tried inserting a URL into a shelf, both via drag & drop from Internet Explorer and manually by right clicking on the shelf and selecting 'Insert Item', and it just works!

I'm also able to change the icon, no problem, so I can't reproduce your problem here without more info from you.

So, please tell me, step by step, exactly HOW you are placing a URL into WorkShelf. :D

Also, and I'm only saying this because you confused your terms in your previous message (i.e. Wincustomize with Object Desktop), be careful with the terms used or you will end up confusing me as well, hehe. Are you sure it is NeXuS (the dock) that keeps on working even when the shelf is frozen and not NextSTART? Because if it is, then the WorkShelf process is NOT frozen. Do the desktop modules keep on working as well?

And yes, updates are released regularly. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next