Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Getting repeated Application Error 401 when dropping URLs
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:52 am 

If I drag a URL from any browser (FF64, IE32, IE64) to my "main" nexus dock, the dock unhides and as soon as a subdock is hovered over with the drag cursor, I get "Run-time error '401' : Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed - every time. WS then crashes (the nexus dock disappears, the systray icon disappears, and if I re-start WS immediately, the new WS process immediately 'saturates' a CPU core (I get 25% total cpu activity, and one CPU is running at 100% with the rest at 1-5%) and won't start. If I wait for 30 seconds, then re-start WS, it starts fine, but I still get the dreaded 401 error.

I have the main workshelf itself at bottom z-order, invisible, with just a single dummy icon displayed. So I don't normally see or use it.

The Nexus dock is set to auto-hide from the leftmost monitor's left edge. I'm not using heavy zooming (just the standard, no water drops or stuff like that).

There is one other nexus dock, set as a task list only, autohidden on the bottom edge of the leftmost monitor. I have the usual modules (net, cpu, weather, clock) visible set to topmost. I don't drag the url over any of these modules, nor do I drag it over the "buried" WS main shelf.

There are no other docks or gadgets in use. I don't use NS, just WS, and I don't use workshelves, just the nexus docks.

This is infinitely repeatable.

I have the dock in question set up with 12 subdocks and no "root" entries - all items on the dock are subdocks, apart from the (very sexy :)) Nexus icon (I do like the gold and green colourscheme, that's just so cool).

As I said, when I drag the URL, the dock unhides, then I can scroll up and down the subdocks without opening them at any time. As soon as I stop long enough for the subdock (any subdock!) to spring open, I immediately get the 401, and then I swear and grumble.

Any ideas?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry for the very late reply, must have missed your question.

Quote:
This is infinitely repeatable.

And I'm sorry to say but I can't reproduce it here. A couple of questions:

1 - Does it still happen on the latest 8.5 private beta?

2 - Is it only with URLs or it will happen regardless of what you are dragging (i.e. another Winstep item, or an item from Explorer) ?

3 - Are you sure you don't have a Preferences window open somewhere?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 am 

winstep wrote:
Sorry for the very late reply, must have missed your question.

NP, I guess you do have something to fill your days...:D
Quote:
And I'm sorry to say but I can't reproduce it here. A couple of questions:

1 - Does it still happen on the latest 8.5 private beta?

No! :D

Quote:
2 - Is it only with URLs or it will happen regardless of what you are dragging (i.e. another Winstep item, or an item from Explorer) ?

Anything used to cause it, but not consistently (probably depended on the source window, I know I've been bitten by that one before). But URLs were a consistent trigger. I don't normally keep URLs outside Firefox, or use 'em either, but when I tried, I couldn't. 8.5B3 seems to be much nicer.
Actually, I just noticed that 8.5 treats the target (dragged item) more properly - 8.2 tried to make room for it on the main dock, but the subdocks didn't seem to want to "move". 8.5 does. Which is exactly what I want!
Quote:
3 - Are you sure you don't have a Preferences window open somewhere?

Posilutely absotive :roll:. No forms, dialogs, prefs, bubble help, nothing, de nada.
[EDIT]
I just noticed, that when I dragged the URL and the subdock made room for it, without dropping it, the subdock closes but the main dock stays visible forever (or until I pick something from one of the subdocks).

Oh, and I just found the "Disable Workshelf" item, and it has definitely removed WS from the displays without any side-effects so far. And the WS process resource usage has dropped by 20% and is still dropping. Cool!

And I just found that the preferences dialog will hide any "stuck" docks if I try to apply and then cancel settings, which is nicer than always picking omething once I've opened a dock. Serves myself right - I shouldn't keep using the dock when I'm not sure. It will wear out the LCD pixels. Right? ;)
[/EDIT]

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]