Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: MSN convos not blinking
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 am 

My MsN convos aren't blinking when I have them minimized and someone messages me.

I did use the search bar came up with this:

http://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewto ... +messenger

Seems like its been fixed...but its not working for me atleast. I am using the atmospheric theme, gonna try the others and see if it works there. Is there anyway to fix it for the atmospheric theme? thanks. Awsome Theme btw! :) finally something that works good for the 64 bit users.

- yep its not working on the other themes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Working fine here, plus nobody else is complaining...

Hmmm... Winstep Xtreme can display running tasks on docks, the Shelf, on the NextSTART Startbar and on grouped tasks menus. All of them have the ability to blink task icons.

Anyway, you meant the MSN convos on the NextSTART's startbar, right?

Have you tried looking in the Tasks Shelf to see if the icons blink there?

Also, open NextSTART and WorkShelf Preferences - what version number is displayed on the lower right corner of the About tab for both applications? What Windows version are you running?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
something that works good for the 64 bit users.

Ah, wait, that could be the cause! Anyone else here running XP or Vista 64 bit that can verify this problem?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
Working fine here, plus nobody else is complaining...

Hmmm... Winstep Xtreme can display running tasks on docks, the Shelf, on the NextSTART Startbar and on grouped tasks menus. All of them have the ability to blink task icons.

Anyway, you meant the MSN convos on the NextSTART's startbar, right?

Have you tried looking in the Tasks Shelf to see if the icons blink there?

Also, open NextSTART and WorkShelf Preferences - what version number is displayed on the lower right corner of the About tab for both applications? What Windows version are you running?

Yes I did mean the MSN convos on the nextSTART's starbar. I did check the preferences and If I am right...Im running a 4.6.

And there not blinking on the task shelf either :(.

winstep wrote:
Quote:
something that works good for the 64 bit users.

Ah, wait, that could be the cause! Anyone else here running XP or Vista 64 bit that can verify this problem?

and yes sorry! forgot to list I was running windows xp 64 bit :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

XP and Vista 64 bit are very different beasts indeed, and the problem is that I don't have them installed around here to make a few tests.

Anyway, I'm waiting for feedback from another user who is also running XP 64 bit, and I made a small change in the next private beta release of Winstep Xtreme that might - or might not, since I currently have no way to test it - solve the problem.

Are you a registered Winstep Xtreme user so I can give you access to the Beta Forums?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:19 am 

No, but if u point me in the right direction...and its under $30 CAD Ill sign up :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually it's $39.90 US. Don't know how much that is on CAN Dollars, but it's worth every cent of it. :D

http://www.winstep.net/buynow.asp

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:12 am 

Snoopy, sorry for the late followup, I've been a very bad boy. :lol:

I don't normally use any of the flashing bells or whistles on even my baseline XP x64 installation (I don't even have the XP skins turned on), but I'll try to help out if I can.

Please be aware, I don't use NextStart for a number of reasons, mainly because XP lost track of the task bar and the systray repeatedly, and it was too much trouble to figure out why it kept losing track. Winstep wasn't the only application that this happened to, but it's the only one I've persisted with.

I did just try running NS now, and spent nearly an hour starting off processes that would normally result in a taskbar flash, and I only managed to quickly see the windows taskbar flash and the NS taskbar flashed as well. I can't duplicate it though (this is a big fast system with wide-open cable access, so finding files that take longer to download and open in a zip window is a bit of a problem, as I'm sure you're aware!). And since I can open and read a 4G video in less time than it takes to read this sentence, finding something that takes this system a long time to do (well, longer than 15 seconds but shorter than a week) is a bit tough. Especially when I actually want it to happen! Murphy's Law applies, as does O'Leary's corollary (When you want something specific to go wrong, it won't).

I'd suggest re-enabling the windows taskbar in your NS preferences, and just confirm that with NS running, your normal taskbar still acts the way it normally does (flashes the taskbar entry for the application) and see if there's any change to the NS taskbar area.

You might also want to try a different skin temporarily and see if it's a skin-related issue or another problem. I don't know that much about what difference such a change would make, but I assume that more "fancy" skins (that may use individual transparency settings, end caps, and so on could stop the feature from working, but otherwise I'm a bit useless for you I'm afraid.

I wish I could be more help, but I'm one of those cavemen Winstep Extreme users, I like the pretty Nexus docks, and all the rest is turned off. Sorry.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]