Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Dumb question but, how do you make sub docks?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:50 am 

Alright so I have browsed the internet up and down and cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a sub-dock out of a major dock. Could someone please be so kind as to explain how? Thankyou.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really didn't want to sound like I'm telling you to 'RTFM' (Read The Frickin Manual :wink: ) but the fact is that the section there on how to create sub-docks is very complete and has pictures which will help you understand a lot quicker how it is done.

To open the built-in User Guide, open the Main Shelf and run 'WS Help' - alternativelly open WorkShelf Preferences and click on the Help button. Now scroll down to the index and locate the section 'Working with Docks'. Below it you will find an entry to the 'Creating sub-docks' chapter. I suggest you also read the next section 'Sub-Dock indicators, the Magnification Effect and Dock Placeholders' carefully.

To create a sub-dock, essentially you have to drag the item you want to add to the new sub-dock below what will become the parent icon until the bouncing sub-dock pointer appears. That is the visual cue that indicates the item will be added as a 'sub-dock' rather than an element of the main dock.

To tell you the truth I am not very happy about how sub-docks are created and handled by NeXuS at this point - it was an easy to understand concept on the old tiled docks without magnification, but with magnifying docks and semi-transparent backgrounds, it can at times become a bit too clumsy.

I'll probably come up with an easier way to add and manipulate sub-docks in a future version - if you or anyone else have any suggestions, please feel free to share. :D

Hope this helps,

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:26 pm 

winstep wrote:
I really didn't want to sound like I'm telling you to 'RTFM' (Read The Frickin Manual :wink: ) but the fact is that the section there on how to create sub-docks is very complete and has pictures which will help you understand a lot quicker how it is done.

To open the built-in User Guide, open the Main Shelf and run 'WS Help' - alternativelly open WorkShelf Preferences and click on the Help button. Now scroll down to the index and locate the section 'Working with Docks'. Below it you will find an entry to the 'Creating sub-docks' chapter. I suggest you also read the next section 'Sub-Dock indicators, the Magnification Effect and Dock Placeholders' carefully.

To create a sub-dock, essentially you have to drag the item you want to add to the new sub-dock below what will become the parent icon until the bouncing sub-dock pointer appears. That is the visual cue that indicates the item will be added as a 'sub-dock' rather than an element of the main dock.

To tell you the truth I am not very happy about how sub-docks are created and handled by NeXuS at this point - it was an easy to understand concept on the old tiled docks without magnification, but with magnifying docks and semi-transparent backgrounds, it can at times become a bit too clumsy.

I'll probably come up with an easier way to add and manipulate sub-docks in a future version - if you or anyone else have any suggestions, please feel free to share. :D

Hope this helps,

Ah, my apologies mate. I was under the impression that the "help" portion, was just a link to Windows help and support, it didn't even occur to me. And aye, I am used to using RocketDock and just having a stack docklet, which was much more "out there" I guess. Thankyou for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not a problem! Feel free to ask all the questions you want, that's what I'm here for. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]