Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: First time impressions!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remember the very first time you run Winstep applications?

I would like some feedback on what your first impressions were. Specially what you had most trouble with, what you disliked or made you go 'huh?'.

There is nothing like constructive criticism to improve the initial impression Winstep applications make on their users... and, as we all know, first impressions are VERY important.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, since nobody has replied so far, let me give you a little hand with some of the things I want to know (and please, your feedback is VERY important and I really need it ASAP) :

Do you think that the Shelf should be docked to the bottom of the screen when you first run WorkShelf or not? If yes, should automatic collapse be turned on as well?

Did you like the default theme? Is there some theme that you feel would be better suited as the default theme?

Was it easy to figure out that you could right-click on the left mini-tab to get the main WorkShelf menu?

Did it strike you as odd that the Atomic Clock feature was disabled by default?

As I stated in the previous post, basically I would like to know your overall impression when you run NextSTART and WorkShelf for the very first time. Please lose a little bit of your time and give some feedback, after all it is in your best interest too. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:33 pm 

All in all, I would say that my first impression was ok. I do not like seeing the whole task bar thing with start button etc..... I used NS to move away from the whole Windows like interface. I suppose for those who may be timid of new interfaces, it is a gentler way to move from the Windows interface.

I think that nextstep (?) would be a good theme, sort of an homage to the inspiration of NS.

You might also consider a "splash screen" that presents a number of choices (with preview images) of startup situations, so that different users can choose different options.

Other than that, I actually think that the inital setup is pretty good.

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I think that nextstep (?) would be a good theme, sort of an homage to the inspiration of NS.

While I still love the NeXT Step interface - Steve Jobs did an amazing job with it, it was so FAR AHEAD of its time - unfortunately it has become a bit outdated in comparison to the UI designs currently available through WindowBlinds, StyleXP and even the native XP theme support, etc...

In my opinion, Winstep applications should now start to move away (I see it as evolving) from the NeXT style of user interface and take on a more modern look (I'm talking specifically about the NeXT style look and controls in the Preferences screen of both NextSTART and WorkShelf, of course).

Quote:
You might also consider a "splash screen" that presents a number of choices (with preview images) of startup situations, so that different users can choose different options.

A good idea! Unfortunately it has been my experience (and of other countless application authors, hehe) that most users don't even read the initial Setup screeens... They just keep clicking Ok to move on to the more juicy parts, accepting all the defaults without even giving them a second look. Shame, but a fact of life. :D

What I am currently changing in regards to WorkShelf is:

Take advantage of the Reserve Screen Area and Respect Reserved Area functionality (which has just been greatly improved for v1.90) and having it start docked to the bottom, with auto-collapse turned on. Sounds good?

The Atomic Clock function, which was previously off by default (I think there was some problem with it in the very first versions and that is why it remained off by default) is now on.

In the Weather Module, choosing a location is all it takes to have it immediately fecthing the weather every hour. Previously you had to set the data gathering interval as well, and, if you forgot to do this (and I suspect it to be a common occurence although I have no proof) it would just sit there staring you in the face doing nothing.

I also suspect most first time users have NO IDEA that right clicking on the left mini-tab will make the VERY IMPORTANT main WorkShelf context menu pop-up. So I'm thinking about adding a tooltip to it that, when you mouseover the left mini-tab, tells users they can right click it to get to the main context menu. This tooltip would only show up on the first 5 mouse overs and then disappears forever, so it doesn't become a nuissance later on.

I might probably do the same with the right mini-tab.

What do you think?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 pm 

Quote:
A good idea! Unfortunately it has been my experience (and of other countless application authors, hehe) that most users don't even read the initial Setup screeens... They just keep clicking Ok to move on to the more juicy parts, accepting all the defaults without even giving them a second look. Shame, but a fact of life. Very Happy

You could always make the OK button jump around :-)

I like the idea of having workshelf docked, with reserved space on and auto collapse. You could also display all the modules on the "desktop", all in a nice column to display all the cool functionality. Maybe add a few hotspots, like logoff etc....

You could also do something like they do with enlightenment (the linux window manager), once you login, a little thought bubble appears with common mouse button functions etc.... kinda like a tip of the day, just looks cool, and always has the same info.

You could also throw up a dialog asking for zip code. You would need to reassure the user that it was only for the weather module. This way the correct weather loads up promptly.

Quote:
While I still love the NeXT Step interface - Steve Jobs did an amazing job with it, it was so FAR AHEAD of its time - unfortunately it has become a bit outdated in comparison to the UI designs currently available through WindowBlinds, StyleXP and even the native XP theme support, etc...

Well, if you want to be on the edge.... and look modern and cartoon like. I get the impression that a lot of themers for Stardock apps like the cartoony kind of look. I prefer sharp edges and grey tones. I won't even get into my opinions on Stardock stuff :wink:

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
You could always make the OK button jump around

ROTFL!

Quote:
You could also do something like they do with enlightenment (the linux window manager), once you login, a little thought bubble appears with common mouse button functions etc.... kinda like a tip of the day, just looks cool, and always has the same info.

That's basically what I am thinking about, but one that only pops up when you mouse over the mini-tabs.

Quote:
You could also throw up a dialog asking for zip code. You would need to reassure the user that it was only for the weather module. This way the correct weather loads up promptly.

Well, it's actually country and location that the Weather module needs. That would be too much 'in your face', I think, specially because the user will already be dealing with a lot the first time they run WorkShelf (Tip of the Day, Auto Update dialog, etc...).

Quote:
Well, if you want to be on the edge.... and look modern and cartoon like. I get the impression that a lot of themers for Stardock apps like the cartoony kind of look. I prefer sharp edges and grey tones. I won't even get into my opinions on Stardock stuff

Hehe. Unfortunately most people seem to prefer the cartoon look. As long as NextSTART still allows you to have whatever look you like the best, that's what really matters!

In the mean time I just add a cool idea which I am implementing as we speak. As you know (or not, hehe), the NextSTART Startbar can capture WorkShelf desktop modules into it. It even automatically shrinks or grows in size to accomodate the captured modules, which is cool... but... the problem is that each theme features differently sized modules, some of which can be quite big. The result is a huge mess on the Startbar when you change themes... not very practical, unless you always stick to the same theme.

To solve this problem I'm adding a new option to NextSTART (which will be turned on by default) in which captured WorkShelf modules are always displayed in their non-advanced skinning versions, i.e.; as 'icons', just like the in-shelf ones. This should work pretty well because the modules will always be the same size (user selected), will always fit quite nicely on the Startbar and will always remain visible (unlike the in-shelf versions) without taking up huge amounts of desktop space. Once you release a captured module from the Startbar, it automatically goes back to the desktop in its advanced skinning format. What do you think?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:31 am 

It's been so long since I first used NextSTART I couldn't figure out
what to say.

Haven't used WorkShelf much so I can't comment too much.
[Turn it into a CDE/Xfce-like panel and I'd be all over it] :P

Docking to the bottom by default is a good idea. The aforementioned
option of having automatic reserved screen space with regards to
WS is a good idea. Having to initially figure out how high WS
was so I can set it manually was hit and miss.
[Re-edit: Oops. I see that option is there already. I gotta pay
more attention.]

Not sure about the default theme. It was on only long enough
to get to the preferences.
The only themes I've ever used were nextstep/openstep types, irix,
and motif (and related WindowBlinds/Iconpackager themes).
My old-school *nix side won't let me deviate. :-)

The forthcoming look-n-feel changes to the preferences is
okay I suppose but would like an option to have a NeXTish
look if the change is going to be major.
If it turns into a Luna-esque thing, well...

I picked up on the WorkShelf mini-tab menu thing pretty quickly.
It looked like a mini menu representation so I immediately
clicked there. The tooltip idea would be nice to have.

Haven't really taken advantage of what WorkShelf has to
offer so I'll be using it more often.

http://www.digisensei.info/win3/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:26 pm 

Quote:
To solve this problem I'm adding a new option to NextSTART (which will be turned on by default) in which captured WorkShelf modules are always displayed in their non-advanced skinning versions, i.e.; as 'icons', just like the in-shelf ones. This should work pretty well because the modules will always be the same size (user selected), will always fit quite nicely on the Startbar and will always remain visible (unlike the in-shelf versions) without taking up huge amounts of desktop space. Once you release a captured module from the Startbar, it automatically goes back to the desktop in its advanced skinning format. What do you think?

I like that, a lot. Maybe you could include an option to allow a persistant theme for the modules. So you could have captured modules always be themed with Makinarama, no matter what the "global theme" currently is. But have this work only for the captured state.

just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You already have that option! :D Open the Themes Management tab in Preferences and click on the 'Theme Preferences' button. In the dialog that pops up you can lock (make persistent) the Wallpaper and each individual module.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Haven't used WorkShelf much so I can't comment too much.
[Turn it into a CDE/Xfce-like panel and I'd be all over it]

CDE-like panel? Humpf! Take a look at this:

http://www.winstep.net/temp/integration.jpg

Sorry for the width of the image, btw. I run at 1920x1440.

What you see there is WorkShelf, collapsed on top of the NextSTART Startbar, the NextSTART Startbar itself and the WorkShelf desktop modules captured into the Startbar as icons (the new feature I mentioned in a post above).

Now tell me, doesn't that look like a CDE panel? :wink: But with a LOT of extra functionality!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:03 pm 

Now that was nice.
Just gave me some new ideas for another environment here.

Looking forward to the new stuff even more. :-)

Marc

Re-edit: What a dope I am. I forgot that with the Motif themes
I get a CDE-looking panel.
:mrgreen:

I'd just have to add something similar to your screenshot
and I'm good.

http://www.digisensei.info/win3/ -- Win3.x Makeover

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still waiting for more first time impressions! :cry:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:12 pm 

I have tried them all! Aston, Talisman, Litestep, DX, etc. and keep coming back to NS. Each has their own good points but so far nobody has topped NS for overall functionality. The problem is with the "new stuff". Their simply are not any new themes anymore, sadly. All the previous great themers have moved on. I spoke with Essorant who loves and uses NS but he told me it is doubtful he will make anymore. I would be willing to pay for themes if that's what it'll take. I would love to see an "Aero" theme and also some nice ones based on some of the cool new WBs out there. Only my two cents. Bottomline: I will still continue to use NS with the old themes simply because there is nothing else any better out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Gregory!

Regarding the lack of new themes, that scenario is very likely to change soon. Unfortunately I can't say more for the time being. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:48 pm 

It's been waaaaaayyyyyy too long since I first used NS/WS, I really don't remember my first impressions. It was very positive though. Workshelf was the first app of its kind that I ever used and I loved it.

I don't think you should have NS start with the startbar docked to the bottom, that, IMHO, might confuse folks who barely know what their start bar does.

As for new themes, I've been making new themes based on Windowblind themes I use, but they are all VERY simple, only using options/features that I like.

The new Vista? If Jorge could give us alpha channel transparency in .png's I'd be more than willing to do a total glass theme with all the bells and whistles. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]