Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Vista access is denied for my documents
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm 

I am running Vista Home Premium as administrator. When i click on my user name in the NexStart menu and then select my documents, i get an Access is denied error. I tried setting the permissions to everyone just as a test and that didn't work either. Please don't tell me that i have to turn off UAC. I have also checked the run as administrator option on the compatability tab for each of the components in winstep xtreme. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep Xtreme is 100% Vista compatible - in fact, it is currently developed under Vista. :wink: For this reason, you do NOT need (or should) turn off the UAC either.

Also, you do NOT want to have Winstep running as Admin - you will lose the ability to drag & drop shorcuts from external applications running at a lower integrity level.

Can you please tell me the exact path to the folder displaying the Access Denied error? Some items in My Documents are not really folders but hidden system shortcuts that always return 'Access Denied' errors even under Explorer - the problem is that the NextSTART menus show these items, while under Explorer they will not be visible unless the 'Show Hidden and System Files' option is enabled.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 pm 

I don't have the show hidden files option checked. I click on the start button choose Documents and then My Pictures for example. The Access is denied error resolves to the path C:\Users\Public\Documents\My Pictures. Under the Public folder, as you know, there is no folder titled just "Documents" with or without the show hidden files option. There is "Public Documents" of course.
The really odd thing here is that if i click on the My Videos folder directly beneath the My Pictures folder in NexStart, the Access is denied path resolves to C:\Users\Jon\Documents\My Videos. i.e. it resolves to my user name instead of public.
I understand this is probaly due to some hidden directory structure issue, but it is annoying none the less. It would be great to find a way not to display these items on the NexStart menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The items that result on Access Denied errors are shortcuts, as I said, and I think they are there for some obscure backward compatibility reason between Vista and previous Windows versions.

But the bottom line is that you're right, of course, those icons should not show up in the My Documents menu.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fixed for the 8.11 release. :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]