Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: winstep needs alot of improvements
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:04 pm 

for instance, in the startmenu of nextstart, when u drill down to control panel, programs and features is a expandable menu, that should not be, and it crashes nextstart.

also, nextstart locks up alot for no apparant reason, and i have to kill the process.

there are just alot of things that make it seem old and outdated, and from the update record, it doesn't seem to get updated very often or offer new additions to the package.

no multimonitor support? it's been mentioned in the past, but that seems really odd as well, u have it, but it's only half there, and not functional at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
when u drill down to control panel, programs and features is a expandable menu, that should not be,

You can thank our dear Microsoft programmers for that, who return a SFGAO_FOLDER attribute for those special items even though they are unbrowsable, with absolutely no way to distinguish them from the items that can indeed be browsed.

I solved it for the next 8.11 release by making sure NONE of the items in the Control Panel menu can be browsed.

As for crashing NextSTART, that doesn't happen on any of my machines here - NextSTART simply displays an Empty menu. Does it crash on your system with an Access Violation error, or it just stops responding?

Quote:
also, nextstart locks up alot for no apparant reason, and i have to kill the process.

Hmmm... Begining to sound like something specific to your system. Any pattern to when it crashes? Like always when you are opening a menu, etc...? Or does it crash even when it is just there doing nothing?

Quote:
there are just alot of things that make it seem old and outdated

I guess you mean the UI. Have you read THIS topic?

Quote:
from the update record, it doesn't seem to get updated very often or offer new additions to the package

Hehe. You're not paying attention. :wink:

Quote:
no multimonitor support? it's been mentioned in the past, but that seems really odd as well, u have it, but it's only half there, and not functional at all.

Microsoft did not offer API support for reserving screen space in monitors other than the primary until very late in the game. Besides that is the ONLY thing that is not working 100% in terms of multi-monitor support (anything else having to do with handling multi monitors, and there are many, is fully implemented) and not a lot of people complained... or at least not as loud as you.

Anyway, everyone who has been a Winstep user for a little while knows that I listen to feature requests, as long as within reason, of course. And this one certainly is - unfortunately my plate is full at this point, so I'm not sure I will be able to add appbar support (i.e. reserve screen space on secondary monitors) for 8.11.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm 

i think i just nailed one of the things thats locking it up, when i right click on the system tray, and for some reason, the system tray isn't using the nextstart theme either, and when double height is cut right down the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm 

oh yea, sorry about going a bit overboard there, i've just been using multimonitor with multiple independent task bars for several years. always used ultramon, and i think i just take it for granted now

i just think it's strange there can't be user created modules, docklets, and a more robust dock in general, it's very flashy, but it seems limited in use. maybe i haven't played with it enough yet either to know, but some key features i've grown accustomed to i don't think it has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
i just think it's strange there can't be user created modules, docklets

That was a decision made a long time ago, partly because buggy third party DLLs injected into your process can bring the whole thing thumbling down like a house of cards.

Also, all Winstep modules always do something more than normal docklets do - they're essentially mini-applications, in fact.

For instance, the email module is the only docklet I know of that supports multi email accounts, IMAP accounts besides the usual POP3, SSL (a must for checking Gmail accounts) and even TELLS you how many email messages you have pending.

The Weather module supports two very different weather information sources simultaneously, Weather.com and METAR, the later providing very detailed information.

The Net Meter module not only gives you a mind blowing amount of information regarding your network cards and connections, as it rivals SysInternal's TCPView in showing you which programs are using your Internet connection, allowing you to perform WHOIS queries, terminate suspicious connections, etc, etc...

The CPU and RAM meter modules are also unique in that they display the top x applications consuming the most CPU and RAM at any given time.

Winstep modules are definitely NOT your average docklet.

Also, and as soons as the new UI is ready and everything has stabilized, there will be a true EXPLOSION of new modules.

Quote:
and a more robust dock in general

Why? What's not robust about the NeXuS dock?

Quote:
maybe i haven't played with it enough yet either to know

Have you tried adding - and playing with - sub-docks? Creating multiple auto hide docks and activating them via keyboard shortcuts or mouse bumps on the screen edges? Adding Internal Commands to the dock? Adding NextSTART hotspots to the dock?

I could go on... :wink:

Quote:
some key features i've grown accustomed to i don't think it has.

Those being? :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:41 pm 

1 big one is a stack docklet, maybe it's called something else like i said i haven't looked at it alot, i have object dock pro, so i just skipped the nexus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe you shouldn't have skipped Nexus. :wink: Apart from the docklets, it does everything OD Plus does and much more.

Anyway, a Stacks docklet has been in the plans for some time.

Some time ago I looked at how I could add third party docklet support (i.e. support existing docklets), but there are some fundamental differences between how NeXuS renders the dock and how other docks do it (along with other technical problems which I had to solve first) that would make this very difficult to implement.

So, what I can do is the next best thing: make the docklets myself and make sure each and every one of them blows anything else out of the water. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:01 pm 

i will give it a try when i have some time, going to be away for 3 weeks now. i've just used Object dock pro for so long, thats what i'm use to. but a stacks type function, i really need. is there anything similar to that built in already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:56 am 

Just came in for a related question. I think this could be fixed via Standalone Stack witch is an adaptation of stack dock. It works very fine with Circle dock for instance. I guess one could install a macro exe on a nexus dock to activate the standalone stack. Thats waht I've done so far. But what I don't know is how to change settings for the stack after it has been called up. Any ideas?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]