Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Problems with dropping shortcuts on Nexus dock
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 am 

I've created 4 shortcuts in my start menu folder (physical folder under Start Menu\Programs), and they run fine.

When I dragged them to a Nexus dock, every time I try to run them (single-click on the icon), I get a security prompt (Windows could not verify the publisher, do you want to run or cancel?). As soon as I uncheck the "Always ask for this file", the dialog disappears, the application does NOT run, and the dock collapses - but leaves parts of the dock painted on the screen.

This is duplicatable. I can supply the shortcut files if needed.

I'm running Workshelf 8.09.0726, NextControls.ocx is 1.00.0151. I don't use NextStart due to the os problems (WinXP Pro x64). The nexus dock is docked to the left edge of my leftmost monitor, and is set to autocollapse when focus moves away. This is the first time in months that I've updated the dock...

Any ideas, suggestions?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you right click on one of those problematic items in the dock and select item properties, what are the fields (label, filename, arguments, etc...) set to?

Are the target applications 32 or 64 bit?

The dock collapse problem leaving part of the dock on the screen was fixed on beta 2 of 9.3:

Fixes:

* If both the 'Collapse Dock on Applicaton Launch' and 'Bounce Icon on Launch' options were set, the dock would collapse and then a single dock tile with a bouncing icon would appear on the screen. The dock now only collapses once the bouncing animation has finished.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:37 am 

Hi Jorge!

The target apps are 16 bit (Micropro programmer apps for burning PIC MCUs), they all live in different folders under C:\Program Files (x86)\

If I drag the shortcut to the dock, the properties are set correctly (filename just contains the path and filename of the exe, the start in box contains the path, the label is set correctly, and the icon path is set).

If I drag the executable to the dock, of course only the filename is set up properly - but I still get the Run/Cancel security dialog.

For the rest of the properties, there's no hotkey assigned, run mode is set to Normal Window, Run as Another User is cleared (unchecked).

I wasn't aware of the new version, I'll download that and try again. (I really, really would like a notification when new versions come out, I'm about 3 months behind, and I don't always remember to come to the forum unless there's a new problem).

But thanks for letting me know, I'll download and install the latest release and see how that goes.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Pete! :D

Quote:
The target apps are 16 bit

16 bit?!! On a 64 bit system? Wow! hehe :wink:

Could you try running NextSTART and see if the same problem happens when launching those applications via a NextSTART menu?

Quote:
I really, really would like a notification when new versions come out

Private beta releases (such as the current 9.3 beta 2 version) are NEVER publicly broadcast (except in the Beta Forums). Official releases (such as 8.11), however, should have been picked up by your Winstep Update Manager. Are you sure you have it turned on and that WsUpdate.exe is alllowed to go through your firewall? Try making a manual check by right clicking the shelf's left mini-tab -> Info -> Check for Updates.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:37 am 

Yeah, it's amazing what the other 48 bits are used for, huh? :lol:

Running the update manager manually seems to work OK, it's telling me that WS 8.11.738 is available for download (and NextStart 8.11.454). Will these fix the display problem, or is it only the rev 9 beta that does that?

I don't remember turning off the updates, in the WS config dialog for Internet settings, I've got "Wait for Internet Connection","Use IE Proxy Settings", "Notify Me of New Updates" and "Notify of Beta Versions" all CHECKED.

I seem to recall setting the reminder period to 2 weeks, but I've heard nothing from the updater since September last year.

I don't know if it matters, but this is a high-availability system, so it rarely gets rebooted or power-cycled. Since November 3rd 2008, it's rebooted a total of 4 times. So maybe if the update check relies on the autostart feature, that could explain why I don't get notifications?

[EDIT]
Ah, now I know why I didn't automatically upgrade back then... My subscription expired in December last year, so I've probably ignored the prompts to upgrade just on a cost basis (cashflow at the moment is horrible, otherwise I'd renew months ago!). But I would have thought I'd remember at least seeing the prompts...
[/EDIT]

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Pete!

Have you tried the latest WSX 9.5 beta to see if it solves all your x64 shortcut problems? It should. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 am 

G'day Jorge!
I don't seem to be able to download it to try. I get a 404 error when I try to click on the "rabbit" hosted link:http://***/****/xtreme-beta.zip

Let me know when it's up (or another link), and I'll try it out. I have a couple of new shortcuts I've wanted to add to the dock but haven't been brave enough to try. SO it's a good time to try a new release!

CHeers,
PCP

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's because the official 9.5 release is out already and the old beta file has been deleted. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 pm 

Unfortunately, the "Dragging Snatch" problem has recurred in 9.5 and W7. The good news is, I don't have to use NS menus in order to drag items off the start menu before it closes, because the closing effect doesn't trash the drag operation like it did in XP/Vista!

My configuration for dragging items onto the dock are as follows:

- The nexus dock is on the left edge of the screen. Normally, it's set to autohide, but while I'm adding items, I disable that temporarily. (New in W7 : the autohide/autoclose now works so I don't actually have to do it with the dock stuck open)
- The start menu opens to the right of the dock each time.

I open the start menu (in NS), then browse to the start menu folder the item I'm after is in, then press shift, then drag the entry across to the dock, which is normal.

BUT : if I drag the item anywhere near ANY open NS start menus, then they snatch the ddragged item and it gets inserted into the menu, and leaves a ghost of the icon on the desktop until I reboot or logoff/logon again. No ccombinations of keystrokes or desktop changes changes the icon, even when NS/WS are shut down. The Ghost Lives On.

My workaround is to shift-drag the item AROUND the open NS menu lists, so it doesn't get a chance of going near the menus. That works every time.

The downside is that it's like that game where you have to move a loop of wire around a fixed wire bent into complicated shapes and curves, from one end to the other without touching it. Touch : BZZZT. Start again. Or "ghost again".

Interestingly (for me), the new W7 start menu seems to allow me to drag items even when the menu has collapsed. That's new behaviour.

My previous workarounds when dragging lots of items to the dock are no longer needed. I was either opening the start menu in an explorer window first, and dragging from there - because the real start menu would collapse before the drag operation finished - or using NextStart's menus with autocollapse disabled, which was tricky due to the capture effect described above.

If I drag an item from the new W7 start menu, and it collapses, I can still keep dragging the item to the dock, and it is properly captured and configured. So that's a small win for W7!

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]