Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Problem since the upgrade...
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:13 am 

I allowed the automatic upgrade that appeared this morning and now have a minor problem with NextStart.
I use the NeXTSTEP theme and I have the system tray appearing, with its button, in the bottom right corner.
In the past, the icons in the systray have always formed 2 rows and the button has been square. Since the update, they are in only one row instead.

Can anyone remind me how to get it back to 2 rows? I've been using Winstep for many years, but I never change anything so I can't remember how to sort this and I can't find anything obvious in the settings!

Thanks
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have some good news and some bad news for you. :D

The good news is that NextSTART now handles the systray in a completely different way. You will no longer have occasional problems with animated systray icons, odd transparency masks, WindowBlinds interfering with systray background transparency, the systray suddenly disappearing or appearing at the wrong position, etc...

The new method no longer manipulates the original systray with some black magic, instead it creates its very own copy of the systray and displays that instead, leaving the original well alone.

Since previously the NextSTART systray *was* the Windows systray, NextSTART was unable to change its size and shape. So, if a user had a three row taskbar, the NextSTART taskbar would also be a minimum of 3 rows high in order to accomodate the systray.

To change the size of the systray, you had to disable NextSTART task management and resize the Windows taskbar and then re-enable NextSTART task management again. Not so good.

The bad news for you is that since NextSTART is no longer manipulating the original systray, but instead a copy of its contents (and therefore free to do whatever it wants with them), it is no longer dependent on the size and shape of the original systray. Because this is brand new technology and the release of WSX 9.5 was already way behind schedule, I did not have time to add functions to customize the new systray.

So, for now, you are stuck with a single row systray.

On the other hand, WSX now has the potential to have copies of the systray on docks, shelves and menus, and to display it in whatever icon size and shape the user chooses, etc, etc... This will all come to pass, but you will have to wait a little while for the next WSX release, which will also feature a brand new UI and multi-language support.

Don't despair, it should be quick since a lot of the work has already been done.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm 

Thanks Jorge.

I've been using it in the same way for years - maybe it's time i took the time to find out what else it can do!

I use NextStart on my main monitor and Workshelf on the second one and that works well for me. I need fast access to multiple apps with minimum use of screen real estate and that works well for me.
I'm very boring - I don't care what it looks like as long as it works!!

Keep up the great work.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Steve! :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]