Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: YAWO : Workshelf Event Horizon instance
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:50 am 

(Yet Another Wierd One)

I just temporarily "lost" a Nexus subdock, but I can't reproduce the issue.

I have the dock autohidden on a screen edge, and I moved the mouse over it to unhide it. Before it had completely unhidden, I clicked one of the subdock items to open it a bit too early, and Workshelf immediately interpreted the click as a "drag" operation and dragged the subdock off the dock - and when I released the mouse button it just disappeared. No "NOT HERE" icon, nothing. Just...poof!

It wasn't on the desktop anywhere, it wasn't in the recycle bin, it wasn't in another dock or subdock, it just... disappeared. Completely. It wasn't even on the floor or in the ashtray. :)

Since that particular subdock is one of the most complex and difficult to modify (not only the sheer number of items, but I had to hand edit every subdock item's path, commandline, and parameters due to my x64 issues) I didn't want to even THINK about shutting down Workshelf, so I just killed the process and restarted it, and it started normally, has the original subdock still there, and it seems to be fine, so that's a huge relief.

But like I said, I can't replicate the problem easily.

For some reason, I tend to have to wait an extraordinarily long time for WS to respond to mouseovers or bumps, especially if any application is running that uses the UI or DX calls a lot. It doesn't have to be high CPU usage at all, it can be any graphic access.

This means I usually use the Windows taskbar in preference to the WS task dock. I can't seem to find a way to "increase the responsiveness" of WS, nor can I figure out why the delay occurs. It's usually due (I think) to apps using directdraw or directshow, even if they're not movies or audio - once an app starts to use DX, Workshelf stops in its tracks until the app finishes whatever it's doing (especially Adobe applications and file save operations, that's a killer). With a "2 bar" popup/activation delay (i.e. about 1/3 of a second), it can sometimes take up to a MINUTE before WS responds at all. Interestingly, the sound event triggers immediately, but the dock takes much much longer to appear!

The reason I mention that is because I think that might be part of the weird behaviour pattern that caused the subdock loss. In addition to the activation delay (-delay ;)), occasionally WS stops in the middle of an animation, and if I click the mouse button while it pauses (even if I release the button before WS resumes), stuff does go wrong.

I don't know if this is useful or helpful, and I don't know if it's even possible to change or fix this, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has these problems, and/or if there are any fixes or suggestions.

And of course, naturally when I DON'T want WS to pop up (over-enthusiastic mouse dragging in a graphic editor, text editor, etc), it instantly responds faster than ever before! :? But that's Murphy's Law, not DirectX.

BTW, I haven't been able to install or update to the latest version of WS, as my licence expired a while ago, and I'm in a bit of a funding crisis at the moment, so all this may already have been fixed.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
BTW, I haven't been able to install or update to the latest version of WS, as my licence expired a while ago, and I'm in a bit of a funding crisis at the moment, so all this may already have been fixed.

You've got mail. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]