Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: How to right-align tasks in the taskbar?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:41 am 

Using NS at last (woo hoo!), with a dual-monitor system, and the taskbar spanning the monitors, is it possible (without writing my own theme or special skinning layout) to RIGHT align the tasks instead of LEFT aligning them?

I suspect it's not as simple as clicking "right"/"left", but I'm not sure of the steps I'd need to follow.

FYI, I'm using the bog-standard Aero low-res theme. My RIGHTmost monitor (windows primary monitor, NS secondary monitor) is 1600x1200, and that's where I do most of my work. My LEFThand monitor (windows secondary monitor, NS primary monitor, 1280x1k) is used for my security software, email, clock, to-do lists, etc.

So I'm working in the right-hand monitor, that's where I usually need to change focus FROM, but of course if I drag the mouse down to the NS starbar, most of the apps are on the very left edge of the taskbar, on average 1824 pixels away (1600/2 + 1024) 8).

This isn't normally an issue when I have 20 or more apps running as I can reorder the taskbar entries so they're closer to my working area, but I tend to only really have to switch between 3-5 most often, and it's a pain to reorder the tasks continually, especially if I close some older apps and start running new ones. Since this is an always-on system, after a month or more, that's a lot of dragging and dropping!

If anyone can help me set off in the right direction (right direction? get it? Oh my goodness I'm so damn funny it hurts! :shock:) I'd really appreciate it!

And I reallyreallyreally don't want to go back to a single-monitor taskbar if possible.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:16 pm 

I can transplant you 2 more arms and another head if that'll be all right with you? :lol:

Sorry, mate...couldn't resist. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lol.

Sorry Pete, there currently is no way to right align the task list - but it's a useful suggestion and it has been noted down for future inclusion! :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:27 am 

docbert wrote:
I can transplant you 2 more arms and another head if that'll be all right with you? :lol:

I can't use the one/(s) I've got! Another set would just overload my current brain. Blue Brain Of Death? :)
Actually, I just realised you didn't specify another brain, just another head. That might just work if I left it alone. :lol:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 am 

winstep wrote:
Sorry Pete, there currently is no way to right align the task list - but it's a useful suggestion and it has been noted down for future inclusion! :D

Thanks Jorge. I've actually found the sexy "Windows 7" taskbar option, and that's actually a really good workaround. Since the thumbnails are now working, it's probably the best configuration I've stumbled on, and it works fine on the right-hand monitor for now.

It would still be interesting to have the alignment option though. Even at 32x32, across 1600+1280, I start running into problems when more than about 60 apps are running. (Just kidding, really) :shock:

Actually, I've just gone through the horribly painful process of updating my ATI drivers, and so that reset my entire desktop, the secondary monitor was disabled, I had no backdrop configured, and when I rebooted after the driver install, of course NS and WS (and my other always-on apps (HDDLed, MagicNote, Eyecopia, etc) couldn't see the secondary monitor and they dumped all their stuff in the "primary" display. That took me nearly an hour to sort out (there were other gotchas in the driver as well).

I guess that's the penalty for running "legacy" hardware (PCIe-x8 X1600XT video card) in "bleeding edge" OS (XP x64). I know I absolutely have to upgrade to some serious video hardware soon or I'm going to be stuck in 2005 support land forever.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]