Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Start Menu Organiser Pro not working!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:06 am 

Hi all, I am having a lot of problems with this program. Running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I have set up my own categories with various sub-categories. I transfer the folder items over to my sub-categories. But, when I go to the start menu, some show but not all. Example, I have a sub-category of Utilities called System. I can move my system utilities to this sub-category but it does not show in the start menu, if fact says "empty"! What is wrong or what am I doing wrong??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you post a screenshot of your desktop showing the menu structure in the Start Menu Organizer side-by-side with the actual Start Menu?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

It really screwed up my start menu so I re-installed Vista Ultimate and the problem is the same. Any changes are just not showing up in the start menu and category changes I make sometimes cannot be reversed and I actually lose that menu item completely. The first pic is before any mods. The second I have moved the Windows DVD Maker to the Utilities category. I then save it. The Utilities category just doesn't show in the start menu. Some categories do show but with "empty" in them even though I have moved items to them. I have now re-installed Vista yet again but this time will not be using Start menu Organiser as it is just not doing as advertised!!

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, but your third picture only shows you are actually CANCELING the changes you made and exiting the Start Menu Organizer before applying any modifications.

I think the problem is how you expect the Organizer to work and how it actually works: unless you press Ok or Apply, no changes will be made to your Start Menu.

Anyway, the Start Menu Organizer makes an automatic backup (called 'Initial Start Menu Backup') of your Start Menu structure the first time it runs and BEFORE performing any changes. All you need to do is Restore it.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:12 pm 

Surely selecting "Yes" does save the current selection? If so that is what I am doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

But it does not APPLY the changes to your Windows Start Menu.

The only reason it (internally) saves what you'de done to the original Start Menu structure is for those cases where you're half way through changing it and, for some reason, need to exit the Organizer and you'll go back to it later to finish what you started.

Next time, click the Apply button instead after making some changes, then open your Start Menu and you should see the changes you made already in place.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]