Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus "running applications" on dock not clickable
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:05 pm 

Have just put nexus dock on (windows 7).
The Running applications that get put over to the right dont seem to be clickable, am clicking but not getting any windows coming to the fore or maximising.

I've tried with thumbnails on and off, restarted both nexus and the machine, don't know what's going on!

Any thoughts? It's the one of only 2 bug bears i've got (but its a big one, the other is just to do with being able to change the icons on modules/clock face/recycle bin etc).

Please let there be a solution otherwise i'll have to head back to rocketdock!

Cheers M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:29 pm 

That is odd. They are definitely clickable in the Nexus that comes with Winstep Extreme.

Are you running the new beta of Nexus?....might just be a beta thing.

Post subject: Re: Nexus "running applications" on dock not click
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mwhite1702 wrote:
Have just put nexus dock on (windows 7).
The Running applications that get put over to the right dont seem to be clickable, am clicking but not getting any windows coming to the fore or maximising.

I'm outside the office for the weekend therefore I'm not able to boot into Win7 RC. However, what happens if you right click on one of the tasks? You *should* get a context menu. If you do, what happens if you chose minimize, restore, etc..., from the menu.

If you get NO response, another thought is that the actual mouse clicks on tasks are customizable (although not from within Nexus) i.e. you can specify what a left click does, what a middle click does and so on. Could be that the list of actions associated to the mouse clicks got somehow corrupted. Did you ever install Winstep Xtreme on your system?

mwhite1702 wrote:
Any thoughts? It's the one of only 2 bug bears i've got (but its a big one, the other is just to do with being able to change the icons on modules/clock face/recycle bin etc).

Modules, being dynamic objects, do NOT use icons. They use themes. Right click on a module and open the themes menu: you should see a list of themes for that module. Select one and lock it from the menu if you do not wish the look to change when you switch to another dock theme/background.

mwhite1702 wrote:
Please let there be a solution otherwise i'll have to head back to rocketdock!

Chicken! :wink:

Remember this is the very first beta of Nexus. Although most of the code is shared with the Nexus version in Winstep Xtreme, it's normal that some problems might crop up - which are dully fixed.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 am 

Hey Guys, Great response there!

Have tried a right-click on the task icons, getting no context menu.
Had tried installing winstep xtreme to resolve the problem (didnt work) then uninstalled and re-installed nexus.

You mention customizable clicks, any info on this i'd be happy to go into relvent files (if nexus) and have a poke around.

On the Theme thing, have been into the winstep folder and been poking around with the Theme files and replacing images, so that's all good now. Though if anyone has any info on the .nxs file, that would be helpful as have been editing each variable one by one to see what it does.

On the chicken front, i did manage an egg this morning but i'm happy sticking with u guys while we see if we can solve the task issue as you're beating the pants off object dock and rocket dock at the moment with the module/internal options there :-)

Let me know about the task-options.
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mwhite1702 wrote:
Have tried a right-click on the task icons, getting no context menu.
Had tried installing winstep xtreme to resolve the problem (didnt work) then uninstalled and re-installed nexus.

If it's any consolation to you, I just gave Nexus the ability to customize what left, middle and right clicks do on 'running application' (task) icons, just like you can do from NextSTART in Winstep Xtreme.

To figure out what your problem is, open the Windows Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinSTEP2000\Shared

Look for:

TaskbarLeftClickAction (should be 4)
TaskbarMiddleClickAction (should be 3)
TaskbarRightClickAction (should be 5)

If they don't exist or all set to 0, zero is 'Do Nothing', which would explain why nothing happens when you click on the icons.

Either way, please report back your findings.

mwhite1702 wrote:
On the Theme thing, have been into the winstep folder and been poking around with the Theme files and replacing images, so that's all good now. Though if anyone has any info on the .nxs file, that would be helpful as have been editing each variable one by one to see what it does.

That is generally a VERY BAD IDEA. You can actually crash Nexus by doing that, because you're bypassing the values-in-range check performed by the GUI.

All settings in the Winstep configuration files can (and should only) be changed via the GUI Preference screens.

The problem is that Winstep Xtreme is right in the middle of a major change: in the 9.5 release, settings related to skinning Xtreme applications are still mixed with per-user settings. Not so in the Nexus stand alone version or in the upcoming Xtreme release.

The reason is simple: very few people will actually skin the applications, and, for the majority of users, skin related settings are just there to add to the confusion and clutter.

Therefore a decision was made to actually remove skinning settings from the applications themselves (except for the most basic settings) and move them all into a single, separate, application - which will be called 'Winstep Theme Builder' (or something like that).

Currently the Theme Builder is still 'under construction', which is why, unless you are also running Winstep Xtreme 9.5, there actually is no proper way to make a native Nexus theme from Nexus at this point.

mwhite1702 wrote:
On the chicken front, i did manage an egg this morning but i'm happy sticking with u guys while we see if we can solve the task issue as you're beating the pants off object dock and rocket dock at the moment with the module/internal options there :-)

lol

Thanks! You won't regret sticking with Winstep, you'll see! :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:25 pm 

Hi Guys,

You were bang on there, all values were at 0, so have set to those you noted, restarted nexus and we're back in business!

Great stuff!

Looking forward to the mentioned 'Winstep Theme Builder' (or something like that), as you can tell, i'm eager to play around.

Well, you've converted me, winstep is beeting the socks of objectdock and rocketdock/other dock apps!

- there's you're quote for the homepage!lol

Cheers again gents!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]