Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Licensing question
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:00 am 

I have more than one computer in my home, and I just registered winstep (GREAT program by the way!), and would love to put a registered copy on my other systems here in the house. I noticed that it said on my registration email that it was a single user license, is it possible for me to install winstep on my other computers, and use the same registration license on all three of them? Or would I have to purchase a separate license for each computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi!

Winstep does have a special Home Network License for users who wish to use Winstep Xtreme on up to 5 computers: on their home network, their laptops or at work.

This said, provided there's only one person using Winstep Xtreme at any one time, you can use your single user's license on all of your 3 PCs with Winstep's blessing. :wink:

Winstep license keys are NOT tied to specific hardware (I personally HATE the way Microsoft activation works, forcing me to reactivate often because I keep changing the hardware on my PC).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 am 

winstep wrote:
This said, provided there's only one person using Winstep Xtreme at any one time, you can use your single user's license on all of your 3 PCs with Winstep's blessing. :wink:

What is considered to be "using" winstep? Is the fact that it's running enough to consider it in use?

I occasionally let friends use my other computers, does that mean I have to create a guest account on the computer where winstep is not loaded to remain "legit"?

To be honest, I'll let my friends use the computer with winstep running, regardless of it being "legit" or not. I don't really bother with following regulations literally. As long as it's my computer, and I'm the one who use it the most, I don't really feel it's wrong to use the same license.
(I feel the same about windows, but I have legit serials for all my windows computers, so I don't violate the license agreement anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

These type of licensing issues are left vague on purpose.

Essentially, what I meant by my post above is that I let the decision of buying the special multi-user license to the consciousness of each user (which is one of reasons why the Home Network License is good for 5 computers/users but costs less than the price of 2 individual copies). :D

Of course letting your friends use your computer(s) is ok. But for, instance, if you were married and your wife had her very own PC also with Winstep Xtreme installed, in practice that would be two users.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:06 pm 

Thanks so much for your reply's. I love to support the hard work that goes into making programs such as these, this is why I wanted to ask before I installed winstep on my other computers. And you have just made yourself a good customer, I'll be sure to buy any upgrades that come out after my 1yr upgrade warranty expires.

And when my friends see my desktop, I'll be more than happy to direct them to your web site to get a copy of their own, I've already posted a screen shot of my desktop on my facebook for all my facebook buddies to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you! :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]