Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Some ideas from a new install
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:47 am 

THIS TIME I'm taking notes as I install stuff in my nuked system. Some of the things I kept meaning to raise just got lost in my brainfarts.

So here goes with the small, annoying notes...

1) I just noticed that in Nexus, if I right-click the dock and pick "Create Dock Item" (or use any method that results in the "Create Dock Item"), then change the type to "Dock Placeholder", the default icon location is the (in my case) C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Icons\Samples folder, but if I choose "Create Subdock", the default icon location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\Workshelf.exe (or whichever C:\PF install dir on your system).

I do like the big shiny sexy icons much better, BTW.

2) I've just noticed that when I set the NS taskbar to span monitors and autohide/unhide, the part of the taskbar that's either a) on the primary monitor, AND/OR b) uses reserved space does appear on top when I specify it in the prefs, but in the "other" display/monitor, the taskbar doesn't appear on top until I click the taskbar in the visible display.

I hope that makes sense...

On a related note:
3) When spanning multi monitors, the taskbar doesn't seem to reserve screen space on the non-primary monitor. So if I have "Reserve space" checked, and autohide enabled, when the taskbar hides, the primary monitor shows a little gap where the taskbar goes when it grows up, but the secondary monitor doesn't show the same space.

If I set the Tbar to NOT reserve space, then it appears ON TOP on the primary display, but not on top on the secondary one - until I click it. That means that when mouse-bumping to activate the Tbar, I can't see what apps are running or the quicklaunch area until I go clickety click.

Hmmm. I think that's it for now. Gotta love Magic Notes. Especially when your brain farts as much as mine keeps doing.

Oooh, oooh, before I forget - I like the new "disable workshelf" option in the WS dialog! Very nice little feature, Jorge!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:19 am 

OK, this is a problem I mentioned a while ago, but it seems to be still current... the dreaded "X86" path problem!

I dragged a desktop icon for a newly-installed app (C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\PDF Viewer\PDFXCview.exe) to a Nexus subdock, and there were a few problems:

1) the shortcut didn't work
2) the "Unknown" icon was displayed
3) When I opened the dock entry properties dialog, the path fields (for the application and the icon) were both set to C:\Program Files (x86), which is not what's in the desktop shortcut's properties, and so
4) Browsing for the application and the icon both got short-circuited to C:\Windows\System32 instead of the path that was displayed in the properties dialog.

But manually removing the " (x86)" string fixed those issues.

I think maybe the fix logic hasn't quite figured out that apps can be installed in either the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) root folder on the x64 system.

I can provide the shortcut settings from the original desktop icon if that would help.

EDIT: Please ignore the previous post attempt, I cut and pasted from a stupid text editor without checking the path strings first. D'oh!

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]