Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Open Folder as Menu (not working?)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:19 pm 

Windows Vista SP2 (or whatever the most current version is)
Nexus 9.7 Beta

Setting the option to "Always open folders as menu" doesn't seem to work for me. The other method works (holding the left-click), but setting that option didn't. I tried deleting the folder link and recreating it, but it still didn't work.

(First post, so sorry if this went in the wrong place.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 pm 

OS
XP Media Center Edition 2002

Nexus Version

NeXuS.exe File Version: 9.07.0831

NexLcontroIs.oc File Version: 1.00.0151

Region.dll File Version: 1.00.0001

wsZip.dII File Versiont 1.01.0000

wsUnzipdll File Version: 1.0.0000

I'm having the same problem. The feature in Advanced->Miscellaneous->Advanced: Always open folders as menus (you can also do this by left clicking an icon and holding)
The folders will only open as menus if you right-click. Is this a bug, or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go download beta 2 again. I made a silent update that fixes this problem, current official version is 9.07.0834.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 pm 

Thanks, it works now, however there is another problem. The Rename feature doesn't work.
Also, when the Send to feature is tried I get the following message:

Strangely enough, it actually works in spite of the message. I accidentally found out it did when I double-checked just to make sure that it works if I go directly to the file without using the Folder Menu feature.

P.S. If the image is too small to view, just click on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just tried both features (Rename and Send To) without problems.

What were you trying to rename and what were you trying to 'Sent to' and to what?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 pm 

I tried renaming a video, audio and picture file. I also tried to drag and drop and that doesn't work either.

Just to make sure there is no confusion, as I stated earlier, even though I got that error message, the Send to still worked.

I sent it from and to various locations. First I sent it from one external hard drive to another. I also sent it from the external hard drive to My Documents.

I also sent it from My Pictures, My Documents, the Desktop to the external hard drive and other locations on the computer itself, all with the same result of the error message. As before, the files still went through.

I just thought about something. I didn't uninstall the original version first. I just installed it so it would overwrite the original and keep my settings so I wouldn't have to redo everything again. Do you think that could be the reason I'm having this problem?

I have Revo Uninstaller which can remove all traces of what is in the Registry. Should I use that to uninstall and then reinstall to see if it solves the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:00 pm 

I read in another post that someone was having problems and there is the possibility that Logitech's SetPoint could be the culprit.

I have it installed and like the poster, have a diNovo Edge keyboard. I also have their Cordless Optical TrackMan mouse.

I haven't had a response to the last couple of posts regarding this problem or from the PM I sent.

Winstep, I'm wondering since you stated that Rename works for you if you were trying Rename in the same place I was, or if this is a problem caused by SetPoint.

Rename works for the folder itself on the Dock, but not once the tree is opened (i.e. left-click and hold) to rename folders and files within the folder on the Dock.

I also cannot drag and drop into any of the files once the tree is opened either. When I try to drop, I just get a red circle with a line through it.

Are these functions deliberately disabled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I kind of just came back from some well deserved (if I can say so :oops: ) hollidays.

At first I didn't understand that you meant drag & drop from the context *menus* in Nexus instead of on the dock itself.

This functionality is kind of disabled on purpose, i.e.; Nexus + WorkShelf + NextSTART share the same menu generating code, but the code responsible for handling drag & drop into menus was removed from Nexus and WorkShelf.

In fact, under Xtreme 9.5 WorkShelf actually 'called' NextSTART for generating the folder browsing menus instead of generating them itself - this meant that drag & drop to and from those menus was fully functional but also that the 'Browse Folder' functionality would not work if NextSTART was not running.

Under Nexus all menus are generated internally, including the 'Browse Folder' menus. Since I'm offering this feature in Nexus, I might as well give it full drag & drop ability in a future version.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:12 am 

Thanks for responding. Hope your holiday was fun & relaxing, so now it's back to trying to satisfy us here. :lol:

Does this mean that the Rename feature in the context menus will be added along with the drag & drop feature in the new version?

Or is that another complicated ball of wax to tackle?

When Rename on a folder or file is clicked within the context menus, nothing happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm 

I think some of the confusion is that I've been using the free version and you might have thought I was using Xtreme.

I accidentally installed Xtreme while trying to install an update and see that the features I've been talking about are in Xtreme.

One feature that doesn't work is if the Context Menu is opened, a file cannot be dragged from a folder within the Context Menu. Is this by design, or is this a bug?

Also, if I drag a file from the Desktop to a sub-folder ( e.g. X folder in My Pictures) the file will not go into X folder, but goes into My Pictures.

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with Xtreme and still in the process of deciding if I'll purchase it. My finances aren't very good at the moment due to the poor economy here in the U.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm 

Is there any way to use this setting on a icon basis? Meaning I would like to be able to open some folders as a menu but not others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Assmonkey wrote:
Is there any way to use this setting on a icon basis? Meaning I would like to be able to open some folders as a menu but not others.

Make sure the option 'Always open folders as menus' is DISABLED, then just left click and hold (for 1 second or so) on folders you would like to open as a menu.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
One feature that doesn't work is if the Context Menu is opened, a file cannot be dragged from a folder within the Context Menu. Is this by design, or is this a bug?

A context menu in a Nexus dock and/or the shelf, right? Probably the same issue as above - what WorkShelf version are you running? Also, can you give me a specific and detailed example, please?

Windy wrote:
Also, if I drag a file from the Desktop to a sub-folder ( e.g. X folder in My Pictures) the file will not go into X folder, but goes into My Pictures.

If I understood correctly, that's because each entry in a menu is usually so small (e.g. in terms of height) that then you would have a difficult time trying to insert an item between, say, two folders, instead of moving/copying it into the actual menu. You can always open the X folder sub-menu first and then drop the file into that menu.

Windy wrote:
I'm still trying to familiarize myself with Xtreme and still in the process of deciding if I'll purchase it. My finances aren't very good at the moment due to the poor economy here in the U.S.

If you still have Nexus on your system, run it, open Nexus Preferences, and click on the animated link. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 pm 

Okay, I tinkered around with it and figured out what the problem was. I thought that the file had to be dragged into the "main" folder (X) instead of being dropped anywhere in/on the files that are within the "main" (X) folder.

For example, X folder has a, b, c, d, files. Open the context menu and click on X folder so that a, b, c, d, shows also, THEN drag and drop in/on the a, b, c, d, files instead of drag amd dropping the file into X folder.

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

A context menu in a Nexus dock and/or the shelf, right? Probably the same issue as above - what WorkShelf version are you running? Also, can you give me a specific and detailed example, please?

Workshelf.exe File Version: 9.05.0781

Nextcontrols.ocx File Version: 1.00.0151

Region.dll File Version: 1.00.0001

WxZip.dll File Version: 1.01.0000

WsUnzip.dll File Version: 1.01.0000

Open the Context Menu then a folder to expose a file. For example, from the Dock using the Context Menu, open My Pictures, then X folder, then try to drag a, b, or c file FROM the Context Menu to the Desktop or another folder within the Context Menu.

When I try, nothing happens.

FYI, I uninstalled Nexus (free version) but saved the dock settings etc. before installing Xtreme. Don't know if that will cause a conflict.

winstep wrote:
If you still have Nexus on your system, run it, open Nexus Preferences, and click on the animated link. :wink:

Would I have to uninstall Xtreme then reinstall Nexus then reinstall Xtreme again to use the tip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No need, but perhaps it's easier if you send me an email to the Winstep support address hehe

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]