Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: NextStart Crash w/Error 9
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:30 am 

This one is easily reproducible (at least on my system):

Enter NextStart's preferences and navigate to a listbox (any will do - e.g. Hotspots Definitions, or Menu Editor). Highlight the last entry and choose Delete. Result: "Error 9: Subscript out of range" (or something like that - can't remember from the top of my head), and a total NextStart crash.

Is this just me? Can't remember seeing anyone else ever mentioning this.

Using NextStart v3.1.

BTW: When this happens (or NS crashes for some other reason) the systray disappears. Anyone got a tip for retreiving it without having to log off and on again?

--
Terje M

Post subject: Me Too
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:48 pm 

I have the same error occur. You're not alone.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyone got a tip for retreiving it without having to log off and on again?

The easiest way is to kill explorer and restart it. However, due to the way the systray works not all of your systray icons may come back. To kill explorer:

1) Press ctrl-shift-esc to bring up the task manager. Go to the Processes tab. Find explorer.exe in the list, right-click, end process, and 'Yes' to confirm. You will see the taskbar and systray disappear. Do NOT close the task manager window at this point.

2) Go to the Applications tab, click the "New Task" button in the lower right. In the pop-up dialog type, "explorer" and click OK.

The explorer shell will restart along with the taskbar and systray.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:49 am 

I've had to do that plenty of times and it works great to kind of clean stuff up. However, most of my systray icons get lost when I do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I've had to do that plenty of times and it works great to kind of clean stuff up. However, most of my systray icons get lost when I do that.

This is due to how the Win32 systray API works. Simply put, the systray API is poorly documented and difficult to work with. Apps notify the tray when they start to add their icon. If explorer crashes, some apps don't keep notifying, hence, their icons don't show back up. You can sort of get around this by running a tray manager such as PS Tray Factory or PC Mag's Tray Manager. Each app is designed to let you show/hide tray icons to keep things neat and tidy in the tray. As a side benefit, they will restore all tray icons if Explorer crashes or is restarted for some reason. I used PC Mag's Tray Manager for years but switched to PS Tray Factory about a year ago.

Profile WWWYIMICQ 

Post subject: Re: NextStart Crash w/Error 9
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mjeldesen wrote:
Enter NextStart's preferences and navigate to a listbox (any will do - e.g. Hotspots Definitions, or Menu Editor). Highlight the last entry and choose Delete. Result: "Error 9: Subscript out of range" (or something like that - can't remember from the top of my head), and a total NextStart crash.

I managed to reproduce and fix the Menu Editor last item delete bug, but not the one in Hotspots Definition (not to mention the fact that there is no listbox in that tab, only combo boxes :wink: )!

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]