Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Wanda
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:30 am 

You are absolutely right! I thought I had that worked out! blast!

ok, I will go back and see what I can come up with. I did see the fish link, they are just not the species that I am after...

again, thank you for your help, I will be sure that I have solved all of the given issues before I go crazy bothering you. :)

I really appreciate your help,

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:13 pm 

I was able to get it to work, Thank you very much for your help! great program, and I have since become a paying customer rather than just a mooch.

I do have a question:

it seems that Wanda will only swim on my primary monitor, and not my second monitor. is there a way to get her to swim randomly over my whole desktop?

thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jdrake wrote:
it seems that Wanda will only swim on my primary monitor, and not my second monitor.

She will swim on any monitor you put her on, but...

jdrake wrote:
is there a way to get her to swim randomly over my whole desktop?

... but not across multiple monitors.

That's an idea for a new feature though. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 am 

I will look forward to seeing it.:)

Thank you again, I really like this program, makes windows 10 bearable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

ACTUALLY - you have to be very careful when changing Wanda as an animation I found out.
I had a crash recently and an auto-reconfiguration for no explained reason [see other thread].
I went through the Windows logs, because I like to see what causes something so I can prevent it from reoccurrence.
The crash happened it seems when I changed to an APNG I created of a dolphin.
It took the image fine but did not animate and about 3mins later after I had exited, the crash happened. The windows log showed an unhandled exception.

So perhaps Jorge, you might help out a bit and point me to a link somewhere that says limits on file size, dimensions and anything that might help? Possibly having a facility to add GIF animations might be useful as well? Just a thought.
Thanks
:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BassdudeNZ wrote:
The crash happened it seems when I changed to an APNG I created of a dolphin.

Winstep applications do not support the APNG file format.

BassdudeNZ wrote:
So perhaps Jorge, you might help out a bit and point me to a link somewhere that says limits on file size, dimensions and anything that might help?

In practice there are no limits provided you're reasonable. Or rather, there are, but to reach them you would have to feed the Winstep application a movie in PNG file format, and that's neither reasonable nor the point of animated icons, right? :)

Winstep applications are unique in their ability to recognize animated icons and use them automatically without you having to do anything: i.e.; they are treated like regular single-frame PNG files, but automatically animate on mouseover (and can be made to animate continuously too).

The format is simple: an animated icon is a single PNG file where each frame of the animation MUST be square (width = height) and where each frame is horizontally 'glued' to the next, so that the result is a single, very wide, PNG file.

You must make sure when making your animated PNG that the width of the bitmap is *exactly* the same as the number of frames in the animation multiplied by the height of each frame, since that (and having square frames) is the key to the automatic recognition of animated PNGs (and to them working right).

BassdudeNZ wrote:
Possibly having a facility to add GIF animations might be useful as well? Just a thought.

GIF is basically dead, and you can thank Unisys for that and for Winstep applications not supporting the format.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:31 pm 

OK that's easy enough. GIF & APNG is frame by frame so it's simply a matter of working out the width & height of a single frame and multiplying the width by the number of frames in the animation, then; copy each frame individually into the blank image created joining them seamlessly. Does that sound like I have it as far as porting goes?
ALSO - PNG format? 8,or 24?
Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2