Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus - HIDE TASKBAR feature
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:31 am 

I have lately swicthed from objectdock to Nexus.
I really do like the better speed performance but there is a feature that I miss the most!

HIDE TASK BAR

There must be a way for the user to completely hide the desktop's taskbar and use the system as an OSX desktop.
If the dock is placed at the bottom, everytime the user bumbps dwn, the taskbar follows.

Is there any chanche of seeing this feature in the inal release ?
Bw, when is that expected ?

P.S. I also miss stacks and those nice docklets that are not compatible with nexus at the time beeing. Will there be such internal modules at least ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nexus includes over 50 'internal commands'. One of them allows you to toggle the Windows taskbar on and off (right click the dock, choose Insert New Dock Item, then change the Item Type to 'Internal Command').

Once the new User Interface of the multi-language version of Winstep Xtreme is out of the way, expect to see an explosion of new modules. Until then, you can use Chris'n Soft stand-alone Stacks docklet (works with any dock).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm 

Yes I know that there is an internal command that lets the user hide it on demand, but how can this run on startup ?

I mean I want this to be my default setting, instead of enabling it right after each reboot! (like I did in Object Dock with a preferences setting)

Last but not least, is there a way for the user to edit the apperance of the clock ? I only get that digital one with the dated underneath with a creative that doesn't much with my own created icons. Is there a way to edit those files as well in some way ? How can I switch to an analog clock ? I've seen some images in some skin's directories with such an icon, but I haven't found a setting that would let me switch between those two.

Do you have any release dates for those new modules coming out ? Approximately maybe ?

Keep up the faboulous work !!

Best regards,
Tri Stratos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:56 pm 

There also seems to be a bug with the internal hide/show taskbar feature.
I don't know how but having hidden the task bar, after a while/ windows actions, the taskbar reappears as if I selected show taskbar again, even if I haven't.

Just out of the blue it reshows the taskbar.

I haven't found a method for you to recreate the problem but it really happens. Running for example net limit's maxwell, happens all the time.
At other time, it just happen on it own after an action is executed but I don't know how that connecte to nexus..

Please fix this issue and if possible make it a preference option so that is enabled on startup!

Best Regards,
tri STratos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
There also seems to be a bug with the internal hide/show taskbar feature. I don't know how but having hidden the task bar, after a while/ windows actions, the taskbar reappears as if I selected show taskbar again, even if I haven't.

I wouldn't call this an 'issue/bug' with Nexus.

Unlike the NextSTART component of Winstep Xtreme, which WAS designed from the ground up to replace the Windows taskbar, Nexus wasn't and therefore isn't quite there yet - and won't be until I give it systray support in a (near) future version. And, even when I do add that support, it will probably be to the Nexus component in Winstep Xtreme only (in other words, the free version of Nexus will NOT support this feature, just like the free version of ObjectDock doesn't, either).

I wish I could add everyhing plus the kitchen sink to the free version of Nexus, but, if I did that, what incentive would people have to buy Winstep Xtreme then? I'm sure you'll understand, considering it is the later that puts food on my table and allows me to continue developing Winstep applications. :wink:

Anyway, when you tell Nexus to hide the Windows taskbar, it does just that. If Windows at some later point decides it wants to show the taskbar again, that's a problem with Windows not playing ball, not with Nexus itself. NextSTART in Winstep Xtreme constantly monitors the Windows taskbar visibility status to avoid this, but Nexus doesn't (this said, I'll probably add this ability for the official Nexus release that is comming up :wink: ).

What I don't quite understand is why you would be willing to use Nexus to replace the Windows taskbar knowing that you would no longer be able to access the systray icons. In its current form, I would use Nexus more as an 'extension' of the taskbar instead.

Quote:
Last but not least, is there a way for the user to edit the apperance of the clock ? I only get that digital one with the dated underneath with a creative that doesn't much with my own created icons. Is there a way to edit those files as well in some way ? How can I switch to an analog clock ? I've seen some images in some skin's directories with such an icon, but I haven't found a setting that would let me switch between those two.

Modules (also called docklets) are NOT like other regular dock items. Unlike regular dock items which only have one image, modules can display different images to show different status. That is the reason why modules require 'themes', which tell Nexus\Winstep Xtreme how to skin them.

This said, each module can display one of two 'styles'. To switch the clock from Digital to Analog, for instance, you right click on it, open the 'Style' sub-menu from the context menu and then select 'Analog'. What the analog version looks like depends very much on the current theme, but you can force a specific theme on the clock by right clicking the clock, opening the 'Themes' sub-menu (which will display all the available themes for the clock), choose one that you like and then 'Lock Theme' so the clock theme/skin doesn't change when you switch between dock themes.

Quote:
Do you have any release dates for those new modules coming out ? Approximately maybe ?

Sorry, no. I've learned a long time ago not to advance release dates, not even 'approximately'. People have a tendency to hold you to them. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

With stardock objectdock it is possible to hide the taskbat without an issue, and this stays hidden no matter what.

IMHO, this is a really missing feature from Nexus itself.

I hardly ever use the icons in the taskbar myself. I just want a quick launch osx like bar that I can run my apps from.

That is why I use nexus as a windows taskbar replacement.

Just hope this will finaly be a free feature for the standalne version of nexus rather than the full blown winstep extreme

Any chance ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 am 

Hello tristratos, apologies for joining your thread. but the features you request are available in the paid for full version of Winstep Extreme, and many, many more amazing features. You really should try the full version and hopefully buy it. I renew my subscription every year.

Winstep Extreme is the best software available for its type, and its also Jorge's way of earning his living, and without people buying Extreme there would be no point in him continually developing it. As you have no doubt found with Objectdock and Rocket dock etc, being neglected for a long time.

You really have an amazing product for free already with Nexus. Hopefully more people will make the jump and reward Jorge's work by paying for Extreme.

I have no connection with Winstep, I'm just a very satisfied customer :D .

Best Regards

gjbth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:55 pm 

To be frank I really don't get it what is so cool about winstep extreme ?
I am not arguing any features it has, I just don't kow what does it has to offer me more than windwoblinds does at the time beeing ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm 

Winstep Extreme is nothing like Windowblinds. it makes no attempt to skin other applications. which is all Windowblinds does.

It gives you the tools to be more productive, you can change the whole way you work, the docks are just one part of Extreme.

have a read through the Extreme manual to see what it is capable of.

Best Regards

gjbth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand what he is trying to say. It's a bit like marketing 101: features vs. benefits, i.e.; you can have an impressive list of features and that will mean pretty much nothing to the end user until you explain what that product can actually *do* for him.

This article HERE pretty much demonstrates this and why it is so difficult for technical people to come up with a true benefits list (me included, see how I've spent half the post trying to avoid having to come up with a list of benefits vs. features for Winstep Xtreme, lol).

Tristratos, I could be wrong, but by wanting to hide the Windows taskbar and replacing it with the dock, you seem to want/like a minimalistic desktop (i.e. one where nothing is visible but everything is right there at your fingertips when you need it).

Winstep Xtreme allows you to have a completely blank desktop, with NOTHING but the wallpaper showing (not even the desktop icons).

Bump the bottom edge of the screen and the dock pops up - hiding automatically when you mouse away from it.

Bump the right screen edge and all the desktop modules (clock, weather, net meter, etc...) instantly become visible. Bump it again and they all go away.

Bump the top screen edge and the Shelf opens up, the 'sticky' Desktop shelf already active so you can have ready access to all your desktop icons - mouse away from it and it too hides automatically.

Bump the top left screen corner and a menu displaying your disk drives pops up, allowing you to navigate to a particular folder via menus (much faster than open folder, double click folder to open in a new window, ooops, wrong one, go back, etc...). Locate the folder you want in the menu and you can either view its contents on another menu or triple click it to open the folder in an Explorer window. Clicking anywhere on the desktop will dispose of all the open menus at once (but you can always detach a sub-menu from its parent, if you want, to make it 'stick').

This is just *one* of the ways Winstep Xtreme allows you to do things. If you want the opposite of a minimalistic desktop, Winstep Xtreme will accomodate that too - this is what desktop customization is all about, not just eye candy like WindowBlinds.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:10 pm 

Nice explanation Jorge, It seems Extreme does exactly what tristratos requires, but as with most things in life its needs to be paid for.

Best regards

gjbth

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]