Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Popup of Nexus on mouseover possible?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:49 am 

Hello!

I am giving Nexus (Beta 3) a try these days and I have to say that I really love it and I think I will replace my previous dock application with this :)

Just one little function I can't find in the settings and I wonder if there is a way to get one kind of behavior in Nexus. What I would like is that the dock is automatically always behind all other windows but that a moving the mouse above it, will make it popup above all other windows. This should also work when another window is maximized and I move my mouse to the end of the screen where the dock is placed, in my case the bottom of the screen.

Right now this doesn't work, when I select the option in Nexus to always stay behind all other windows. When I select the option to behave like a normal window, I can make it popup when I move my mouse over the dock, but it won't "hide" again behind other windows when I move the mouse away again and first have to click somewhere else.

Before I used Rocketdock and use these settings shown on the screenshots:

Here I choose the option to keep Rocketdock always in the background.

Here I can let popup Rocketdock at mouseover which also works when it normally should be behind all other windows, the good thing is, that it will hide again immediately when the mouse moves away again.

Is this behavior possible in Nexus? If not it would be great, if such an option could be added in future releases :wink:

Thanks and greetings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the idea - it could also help solve another problem some users have been having with Nexus stealing the focus away from the Desktop. I'll see what I can do for the final release of Nexus. :D

Thanks for the pictures too, they're always a great help.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 am 

Thanks a lot for the reply and looking into this, then I am now really looking forward to the next or final release :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Download and install THIS beta on top of your current Nexus release (don't forget to exit Nexus before running setup.exe).

It should now automatically bring up always on bottom docks when you mouse over them (provided the 'pop up on mouseover' setting in the Misc.Advanced dialog of Advanced Preferences is enabled, of course, which it is by default). You can also set the delay it takes for Nexus to pop up.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 am 

Thanks a lot for including this function so fast, I just checked the forum here again and noticed your last reply :)

I upgraded Nexus to the latest Beta and found the new option in the Advanced Preferences and activated and tested it a while now.
There is one thing that on my system keeps the new function from really being useful yet on my system, it seems that the mouse can't let popup Nexus yet when the upper window is maximized. When the upper window (tested with Firefox and Explorer) is maximized and I move my mouse to the bottom where Nexus is located on my machine nothing happens, only if at least a tiny little gap is left (which means of course that the windows aren't maximized) Nexus appears.

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit, so I am not sure if this is not a problem maybe under older versions of Windows or 32 Bit. It did work under XP, Vista and still does on Windows 7 64 Bit with RocketDock this way.

Hope this is some useful feedback and thanks again for reacting so fast :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, fixed that for next release too... :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, fixed that for next release too... :D

Great, I can hardly wait :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems you won't be waiting long. :wink:

Download the new Nexus update from HERE.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:25 am 

Wonderful, I just upgraded to this new Beta and it really behaves now like I am used to it, thanks a lot for listening to my request and implementing this so fast, this makes now Nexus absolutely my favorite Dock :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm 

Hello again :)

After using Nexus now a few weeks, I feel that there is one more little thing that might be worth trying to add or change in the behavior of the dock when using like me where it pops up on mouse over:

The basic behavior works great now, the dock pops up when I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen and I can run another program from there.
There is just one thing that seems to me a little unexpected every time and that is that Nexus somehow suddenly seems to "disappear" when I click on an icon in Nexus this way. This is not really a problem as I normally just want to run one program and not two or more, but it always seems somehow a little abrupt too me as you normally would expect to to see an effect like the bouncing of the icon you clicked.

So if possible I think it would be nice if the behavior could be changed (or an option could be added) that lets Nexus stay visible on top, also after running a program from it, also when it was brought there by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen. Right now it vanishes in the background immediately again after running anything from it, I think somehow "letting it go" again by moving the mouse away from it is more the behavior people would expect including me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fensterstufe wrote:
Hello again :)

After using Nexus now a few weeks, I feel that there is one more little thing that might be worth trying to add or change in the behavior of the dock when using like me where it pops up on mouse over:

The basic behavior works great now, the dock pops up when I move my mouse to the bottom of the screen and I can run another program from there.
There is just one thing that seems to me a little unexpected every time and that is that Nexus somehow suddenly seems to "disappear" when I click on an icon in Nexus this way. This is not really a problem as I normally just want to run one program and not two or more, but it always seems somehow a little abrupt too me as you normally would expect to to see an effect like the bouncing of the icon you clicked.

So if possible I think it would be nice if the behavior could be changed (or an option could be added) that lets Nexus stay visible on top, also after running a program from it, also when it was brought there by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen. Right now it vanishes in the background immediately again after running anything from it, I think somehow "letting it go" again by moving the mouse away from it is more the behavior people would expect including me ;)

Weird as for me the icon first bounces and launches the program, and then it closes the dock (in an animated style). Are you sure that your settings are right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:16 am 

kutagh wrote:
Weird as for me the icon first bounces and launches the program, and then it closes the dock (in an animated style). Are you sure that your settings are right?

I am sure the settings are correct, I use the new option in the advanced tab where you can say that the mouse pointer is bringing the dock to the foreground and in the first tab about the positioning and behavior I choose the option to have the dock always be positioned behind all other windows so that I don't always have to remove it by clicking at an empty spot in another open window.

This works great so far, I can bring the dock into the foreground by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen and it will always disappear automatically again when I move the mouse somewhere else.

Just when I have another window above the dock and did make it appear by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen and the run a program, the dock will disappear behind the upper window right after the click what I feel is too sudden. I would still like to see the icon bounce and disappear also in this situation only when I remove the mouse, this is also how RocketDock behaved what I did use before.
Just a minor thing but would be great if this also could be changed :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]