Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: First issue with Beta 9.10
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 pm 

Winstep Extreme on my Win 7 64 system. Everything was going great for hours. My shelf auto hides at the bottom with the tabs showing. Now when I click on any tab, all I get is the workshelf preferences window, and the shelf stays hidden. I also can not switch to any of the other sections within the workshelf preferences window. It's stuck on the "Register" section. I re-booted, and it was fine for a few minutes, and then it did the same thing.

Is this by chance what it does after you use the software for 30 days without buying? I have only had it installed for a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, sorry. :cry: Did you reboot/restart WSX more than 10 times today? If so, that can happen while in your evaluation period: it's a safeguard I just introduced to defeat some WSX protection work-arounds designed to keep shareware running past the trial period. The good news is it will get back to normal after 00:00 AM today, all you need to do is restart WSX after that time.

Really sorry for the inconvenience, I'm still getting that particular anti-piracy mechanism fine-tuned so it doesn't interfere with legit users during their evaluation (as it did with you).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 pm 

I figured it was something like that. Yeah, I have easily restarted WSX more than ten times today fooling around and getting it set up. It's ok, I feel confident enough to buy the key now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:48 pm 

Ok, just purchased!!! I will wait for my key now! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just sent it to you!

Thanks for registering Winstep Xtreme, and, once again, my apologies for that 10 daily uses limit - guess I have to raise the bar to 15 uses per day or so during the evaluation period.

I'm an apologist that protection schemes should inconvenience users as little as humanly possible (unlike certain WGA schemes I know about, but don't get me started on it :wink: ) as the last thing one should want to do is piss off a potential or legit customer.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:31 am 

winstep wrote:
Just sent it to you!

Thanks for registering Winstep Xtreme, and, once again, my apologies for that 10 daily uses limit - guess I have to raise the bar to 15 uses per day or so during the evaluation period.

I'm an apologist that protection schemes should inconvenience users as little as humanly possible (unlike certain WGA schemes I know about, but don't get me started on it :wink: ) as the last thing one should want to do is piss off a potential or legit customer.

Got the key!! Thanks......all registered.

No problems at all with the trial protection! I was just glad it wasn't some weird crash/quirky behavior that the software was having with my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Just sent it to you!

Perhaps it's an idea to mention it on the download page? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not really... part of the effectiveness of the method comes from obfuscation (i.e.; lack of information on the anti-piracy methods used) - I shouldn't even be talking about it here.

Anyway, I just increased the limit during the evaluation period to 15 uses per day, that ought to be enough for most people. WSX is not the type of application you jump into and out of all day. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]