Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Some programs won't launch from Nextstart menu!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:49 am 

I was mulling around in my Nexstart menu list and noticed that some items won't launch when you click on them. For example, My Logitech G15 keyboard software. Nothing happens when I click from the Nexstart menu.

Also, all my MS games (Solitaire, etc) won't launch, and a popup that I show in my screen shot appears when I click on each game. I can right click the games in the Nexstart list and send them to the desktop as a short cut and they launch fine that way. The path is correct to the games. Also, if I create a working shortcut to any of the MS games and send it to a shelf, it won't launch from there either. I get the same pop up.

All the rest of the items launch fine.

Any ideas what's going on?? If I exit out of Nexstart, all items launch fine from the MS start menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The issue is likely that the links in your menu needs to be updated manually to point to the correct location. What happens now is that NextStart looks for the shortcut in your start menu but for some reason can't find it, or has another issue.

I prefer myself to create a shortcut that points directly to the location of the program as I never move around programs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:29 pm 

kutagh wrote:
The issue is likely that the links in your menu needs to be updated manually to point to the correct location. What happens now is that NextStart looks for the shortcut in your start menu but for some reason can't find it, or has another issue.

I prefer myself to create a shortcut that points directly to the location of the program as I never move around programs....

I tried that, and it doesn't work. I went to the folder where the games are. I dragged one of the game icons to the Nextstart "games" menu, and it does the same thing. Even when I send the same short cut to one of my shelfs, it does the same thing.

The shortcuts work as long as I execute them outside the Winstep Extreme environment. EXAMPLE: From my desktop.

For what it's worth, my "games explorer" shorcut in the "games" menu in Nextstart works fine. Just not the actual game shortcuts.

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:54 pm 

I got my logitech software to launch from the Nextstart menu by right clicking on the software short cut in the Nextstart menu, and then selecting to run as administrator. I didn't get the popup with the Logitech software.......it just wouldn't launch when I clicked the shortcut. It works fine now.

As far as the games go, the "run as administrator" option is not available when I right click them. I think the games issue is something else because it sends the popup when I click them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keizer, the problem with the Games folder on the Start Menu is that you are running a 64 bit version of Windows and the contents of that folder are NOT shortcuts to the actual game executables but some kind of indirect virtual pointers to them (i.e. for some reason, Microsoft wants that Games folder to be special).

The problem is that those virtual pointers cannot be properly resolved because of the Windows 64 bit automatic Registry and File re-direction for 32 bit applications (there are ways to work-around the later, but the former is the real problem here in resolving shortcuts to virtual objects).

This said, if you drag the Game executable itself (for instance, Chess.exe) to a Regular shelf or dock, this should launch properly provided you are running the latest Winstep Xtreme beta.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
Keizer, the problem with the Games folder on the Start Menu is that you are running a 64 bit version of Windows and the contents of that folder are NOT shortcuts to the actual game executables but some kind of indirect virtual pointers to them (i.e. for some reason, Microsoft wants that Games folder to be special).

The problem is that those virtual pointers cannot be properly resolved because of the Windows 64 bit automatic Registry and File re-direction for 32 bit applications (there are ways to work-around the later, but the former is the real problem here in resolving shortcuts to virtual objects).

This said, if you drag the Game executable itself (for instance, Chess.exe) to a Regular shelf or dock, this should launch properly provided you are running the latest Winstep Xtreme beta.

I'm running the 9.10 beta which is the latest correct? Honestly I could care less about those games because I never play them. I didn't want you guys thinking I'm making a huge fuss over those particular games. I was just trying to get familiar with how Nextstart functioned.

By the way, dragging the game short cuts from their folder to the shelf gives me the same popup result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heh? Really? Hold on, let me boot into Win7 64 bit - you're dragging the executable into a Regular shelf (like the Main shelf, opposed to a special shelf like the Desktop shelf), right?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
Heh? Really? Hold on, let me boot into Win7 64 bit - you're dragging the executable into a Regular shelf (like the Main shelf, opposed to a special shelf like the Desktop shelf), right?

Yes, I dragged the short cut to a regular shelf. Dragging the actual folder that contains the games to the shelf works fine. This opens the folder to the games and you can select them to play.

Woops, I was dragging the shortcuts in the games folder. You had mentioned that those are not shortcuts to the actual game executables but some kind of indirect virtual pointers to them. That's why I was unsuccessful working with the shelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, so opening the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Chess\ and dragging the file Chess.exe works as it should, right?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ah, so opening the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Chess\ and dragging the file Chess.exe works as it should, right?

Exactly! Works perfect. And with that same logic, you can delete all the game shortcuts in the Nextstart menu, and replace them with the EXE's and launch them just fine too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:52 pm 

Another mystery solved thanks to your expertise!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 pm 

Uggggh! Now the Win 7 defrag tool won't launch from the Nextstart menu, or the shelf. And, this is a tool I actually use so I need it to work. I have messed around with this for awhile and cannot come up with a solution.

The path is correct, and all the other system tools in the Nextstart list launch fine. I have deleted the shortcut, and replaced it with another straight from the system 32 folder and still no dice.

Any ideas? I even tried run as admin from the Nextstart menu with no luck. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm 

Still trying to figure this out. Has anyone else been able to successfully add a defrag shortcut to either their shelf, or Nextstart menu in Win 7 64? When I click on it, I get NOTHING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Again, you can blame this on Windows 64-bit automatic file redirection for 32-bit applications.

I provided a work around for the C:\Program Files\ vs. C:\Program Files (x86)\ case, but I wasn't doing the same for C:\Windows\System32 vs. C:\Windows\SysWow64\.

Should be fixed in the next release.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:36 am 

winstep wrote:
Again, you can blame this on Windows 64-bit automatic file redirection for 32-bit applications.

I provided a work around for the C:\Program Files\ vs. C:\Program Files (x86)\ case, but I wasn't doing the same for C:\Windows\System32 vs. C:\Windows\SysWow64\.

Should be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for the reply. I understand, and will wait for the next release.

I was wondering though why a similar program in the same system 32 folder (Disk cleanup) launches just fine from the Nextstart menu and the shelf. Both the defrag program, and the disk cleanup have the exact same path and properties, except for the difference in names.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 15 posts ]