Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Our old friend (x86) bug rears it's ugly head again...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:42 am 

Hi Jorge!

I've just installed W7 Ultimate x64 (commercial release, build 7600), and after installing WX 9.5, I've found the Nexus problem with \Program Files\ is happening again.

If I add an existing shortcut (i.e. drag the shortcut onto the Nexus dock or subdock) for an application that's installed in C:\Program Files\, Nexus immediately changes the "Filename" and "Start In" properties to C:\Program Files (x86)\blahblahblah, which is incorrect.

If I add a shortcut to an app that really IS installed in \PF (x86), it works OK.

My workaround is to just manually edit the properties, and then everything works great.

This is a brand-new, virgin-fresh install on a new boot drive, and WX is the first major app I installed, so there's nothing else (well, nothing obvious! :oops: ) that might be interfering.

FWIW, although I forgot to back up my Nexus docks before the reinstall (I was running W7 x64 RC build 7100), the Workshelf export/import worked perfectly!

Now if we can just fix the (x86) problem, I'll be a very happy camper!

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heyah!

Install the 9.10 beta on top of your 9.5 installation. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:40 am 

That seems to have fixed the problem, Jorge! I can now drag an executable from \PF or \PF (x86) and it correctly updates the filename and icon path. It doesn't register the "Start In" property if I drag a shortcut with that property set, but I'm not sure if that's by design or just an early beta issue that you'll update when you find time...

Hey, I really like the new config UI, you've obviously spent a LOT of time and effort getting it to the point it is now. There are so many cool features I don't know where to start! Very logical, and quite a bit more "windows-y" - which probably means half of us users will hate it, half will love it, and the other half won't care :wink:

I do have another question though... The last license key (from June this year) doesn't seem to register correctly with the 9.5 release (nor in the 9.10 beta). I copied it to the \Winstep\Licenses folder (which is under C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Licenses on this system), but it always fails to install with a "corrupt or missing key". Am I missing something obvious?

Sorry to ask a second OT support question...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Double click the key, it is self-installable. :wink:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:30 am 

Duuuuhhhh dat's too hard for my tiny wittle brain... :oops:

Double-clicking worked fine, thanks Jorge!

Now get back to work. :D

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 am 

Hmm. The x86 problem appears to be no longer an issue, but with the new beta, the dock and/or subdocks no longer hide automatically when I click a dock/subdock item, until I manually click away from the dock itself.

So, for example, if I start an app from a subdock item, the new app starts and runs, but the dock stays where it is until I click on anything except the dock itself. The subdock stays visible too.

This is with "Auto-hide the dock after a short delay" checked in the "Position and Behaviour" Dock Properties tab, AND both "Hide the dock after launching and application" checked AND "Automatically close sub-docks after launching an application" checked in "Advanced Behaviour Settings".

Interestingly, I couldn't get the "Advanced Behaviour" properties to remain checked if I clicked "OK" and then "Apply" in the main properties dialog - I had to check the boxes, click "OK", then just click "OK" in the Dock Properties dialog (instead of just clicking "apply"). I can't duplicate that since I rebooted yesterday, so I'm not sure if this is important or not.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]