Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Winstep Xtreme 9.11 Public Beta 5 Released!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This beta release, among many other things, introduces the new UI (User Interface) to WorkShelf and fixes important compatibility issues with Skype 4.x (32 and 64 bit versions of Windows), Logitech's SetPoint (under 64 bit systems) and the 64 bit versions of Windows.

1 - Download the 9.11 beta from

http://www.winstep.net/xtreme-beta.zip

2 - Exit all Winstep applications.

3 - Run XtremeSetup.exe

IMPORTANT: This beta package is an update and MUST be installed ON TOP of a previous Winstep Xtreme 9.5 or later installation!

WorkShelf features incomplete language files based on the Nexus language files (except for Portuguese, German and Farsi, which have complete translations). If you would like to help translating the missing entries (about 250 entries of text specific to WorkShelf need to be translated) into your language, please say so here or contact Winstep support.

I need feedback on the new UI, usability, bugs, etc, as soon as possible, please...

New Features (in relation to WSX 9.5):

* Completely redesigned User Interface (WorkShelf).
* Multi-language support (WorkShelf).
* Full Windows 64 bit support.
* Brings Nexus functionality and features up to par with the free Nexus version.
* Fixed incompatibilities between NextSTART's systray and Skype 4.x
* Fixed incompatibility with Logitech's Setpoint under 64 bit systems that caused menus, docks and the shelf to become blank and unresponsive.
* Fixed a problem where Winstep applications grabbed the focus from the desktop under Win7, making it difficult to select and rename desktop icons.
* Real Time theme previews (WorkShelf).
* In-dock and in-shelf modules can now be renamed.
* Browse and Browse Container menus now support drag & drop.
* Much more!

A complete list of additions, changes and fixes (and there are many) can be found by reading the history files in the C:\Program Files\Winstep folder after installation.

Enjoy,

Last edited by winstep on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Windows Preview Thumbnails not working.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:57 am 

Taskbar Windows Preview Thumbnails is not functioning for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Windows version are you running? I haven't touched that part of the code in ages, and it's working properly here in both Vista *and* XP. Nobody else has reported a problem either (and my guess is that this one would be a biggie!).

In essence, I'm sorry but I think the problem is somewhere in your settings...

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm 

I figured it out. Task List Tool Tips must also be checked.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah! :P

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
What Windows version are you running? I haven't touched that part of the code in ages, and it's working properly here in both Vista *and* XP. Nobody else has reported a problem either (and my guess is that this one would be a biggie!).

In essence, I'm sorry but I think the problem is somewhere in your settings...

[Suggestion]
How about releasing a set of config files to let users test whether some functions aren't working because of their settings or because of a bug?
For example a config for the thumbnail previews enabled (together with a number of other functions) and one with those disabled and other functions enabled. That way it'd be easier to troubleshoot the problem I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winstep Xtreme packs so much functionality that the sheer combination of possible setting variations is mind boggling!

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Review of New Interface
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:18 am 

Great job designing a sleek, intuitive interface...resulting in a more efficient, visually appealing, and user-friendly product! The settings are logically grouped and well-placed. The concise, easy to understand captions should make it far more appealing to prospective and novice users. Thank you for the enormous amount of work being put into this...an outstanding product just keeps getting better!

Running on Vista 32-bit, I have not encountered any problems thus far.

On the “Aboutâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:40 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Winstep Xtreme packs so much functionality that the sheer combination of possible setting variations is mind boggling!

That is why every config should pack like 10% of the settings enabled, and have a specific theme in terms of settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 am 

Some suggestions.

I wish, on startup of Workshelf, it would remember that I had modules hidden. I use the weather module but usually have it hidden (I toggle it on and off via a button on Nexus). However, on startup, Workshelf insists on showing the module even though I have it set to be hidden.

The new GUI is nice, and I understand the need to separate user preferences from theme-tweaking preferences. However, I wish the user preferences allowed the user to change / adjust the font settings.

Speaking of theme-tweaking preferences, I had a theme installed and it insisted on showing the frames around the icons on the shelf. I couldn't turn it off in the new GUI since there is no such setting anymore. I had to uninstall Workshelf, install the old version, turn off the frame setting via the old "classic" GUI, and then re-install the new version. Very strange because I used the same theme and the same version of Workshelf on my laptop and had no such frame problem there.

Lastly, I've mentioned this before and I think Jorge had an answer for it which I never quite understood, but I like to have Workshelf set to auto-hide and reveal itself on bottom-screen bump. But that single vertical line that shows when Workshelf is hidden is really kinda annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
I wish, on startup of Workshelf, it would remember that I had modules hidden.

Good suggestion.

Quote:
However, I wish the user preferences allowed the user to change / adjust the font settings.

Agreed, I tend to think so too... However, should any changes made by the user be saved automatically so they are not lost when the user changes to a different theme and then back, or...?

Quote:
Speaking of theme-tweaking preferences, I had a theme installed and it insisted on showing the frames around the icons on the shelf. I couldn't turn it off in the new GUI since there is no such setting anymore.

Bzzzt! :wink: See the Effects tab for the Shelf Properties dialog. Granted, perhaps it should be moved to the Appearance tab, hmm...

Quote:
Lastly, I've mentioned this before and I think Jorge had an answer for it which I never quite understood, but I like to have Workshelf set to auto-hide and reveal itself on bottom-screen bump. But that single vertical line that shows when Workshelf is hidden is really kinda annoying.

The Windows taskbar also does not disappear totally. Anyway, there are two reasons for this: one, without the visible line it would be impossible to know where a collapsed floating shelf was, much less uncollapse it. Second, even when docked, the edge bump can be disabled, again making it impossible to uncollapse the Shelf.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Review of New Interface
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[quote="Wanda"]One of my favorite features of previous versions was the “Shelf Appearance Preferencesâ€

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Bug Report and Comments on Features
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:29 am 

Possible Bug Report
Feature: Real Time Previews
The Real Time Preview is an excellent feature. It works properly when the module is scaled to 100%. If a module is scaled down at all, though, and any of the appearance settings are selected (I.e., Glass blur, Colorize, or transparency), the preview of the module becomes corrupted (lowered slightly and chopped off) and unresponsive. After the module is scaled back to 100%, there are one of two ways to restore the preview image to normal. One way is to make a change to any one of the appearance settings. The other way is to select one of the other module previews and then go back to the module.

Post subject: Module Settings like old Interface
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:56 pm 

Any estimate as to when we will be able to change module settings as in previous releases with the old interface. For example adding wind information in the weather module, etc.

Post subject: Winstep xtreme
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:12 am 

Hello does this have a licence key and is it free???
kindly send me the reply on my email........
fmgulam@hotmail.com

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next